What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mutt muffs

Timberwolf

Well Known Member
Anyone flying their dogs regularly using mutt muffs? From reviews I?m seeing most people say they are just cheap blow molded plastic with a poor design that doesn?t even seal around the ear seals. I?d like to adapt a pair of Bose A20?s, but my dog is still a puppy and they are much too large for her head just yet. So looking for an interim solution. With the mutt muffs around $70 I?d like to get some real life reviews (not paid) before I shell out the cash.

My 60 pound black lab liked them. Here's the story:

When I got the muffs, I let the dog look at them and sniff them, then I put them on her (in the house). After a few minutes, she pawed them off.

Next day, a friend and I went flying in the Cessna. After takeoff, I put the muffs on the dog. After a few minutes, I took them off her. After another few minutes, I put them back on. She never took them off in the airplane after learning what they did.

Highly recommended.

We got a pair for our dog.. yeah, they are cheaply made, but they seem to fit good once you get them adjusted. I think you need the triangle shape like these to fit on a dog, I don't believe Bose will fit a dog right. I tried them on and felt like they needed more insulation, so I used the foam out of harbor freight earmuffs and it seems better. We are lucky that our dog leaves them on and just falls asleep!

My dog is a 25 pound Fox terrier and his head is just not shaped right for the Mutt Muffs. They should fit well on a bigger dog. Looks like someone could make hearing protection for smaller dogs. They probably need it more than the big dogs. And yes the quality of the Mutt Muffs leaves something to be desired.

We traveled with Mutt Muffs on our two dogs. One is large and the other is small/medium.

We've found that we don't put them on until just ready to take off. Let the dog hear all the noise while taxing. The though is that they'll appreciate the quietness they provide. Both dogs have left them on for the whole four hour trip.

Awesome posts. I hadn't really thought of starting from scratch, but I like that idea and may try that route first. Anything is better than nothing at this point as one of my planes is very loud inside the cabin. Thanks for the replies

I think a lot depends on the dog. I have a ridgeback with big floppy ears and the muffs work well because they press his ears down over his head which I think provides a good bit of the protection. He is also very calm and doesn't mind having them on. I think he knows they help because after landing he usually takes them off.

I'm not sure they would work as well on dogs with pointy ears like shepherds or dogs who don't like things on their heads.

Chris

Snood

I could not get the Mutt Muffs to work on my Welsh Terrier. I am currently working with earplugs and a "snood" that covers his ears. Think of a stretchy tube commonly used on show dogs to keep their ears out of the food.

My pup is a Belgian Malinois so she does have the pointy ears thing going on. Thinking I'll have to make it so it folds her ears down and holds them down while flying. She's 6 months old and does great flying now, but I think muffs would go a long way for her comfort and the sake of her hearing. We've taken fairly short (15-20) min trips with her. The longest being 2 hours when we flew over to pick her up, and she always seems to do fine.

Will try to get a set made in the next few days and try them out this weekend.

Didn't really work well on the Chihuahua. What I ended up doing was putting ear plugs in and then the Mutt Muffs over them to keep the dog from pulling the plugs out.

4 Paws Aviation

Check out 4PawsAviation.com. We were using a set of Mutt Muffs but switched to the 4 Paws Aviation product.

If you compare them side by side, the difference is obvious. I think I saw 4 Paws at Osh a fews years back.

Mutt Muffs just did not fit our 15 pound mixed terrier. Two years later at Sun & Fun I told a woman at the Mutt Muffs display. She said send 'em back for credit, even without a receipt, even after two years, even bought from ACS.

Do ear muffs

My yellow lab took to them around the house, then I had her wear them in the truck on the way to the airport. No problems :)

img_1208.png

img_1209.png

Last edited:
Check out 4PawsAviation.com. We were using a set of Mutt Muffs but switched to the 4 Paws Aviation product.

If you compare them side by side, the difference is obvious. I think I saw 4 Paws at Osh a fews years back.

I actually came across those while googling yesterday and ordered a set. Looks like much better than mutt muffs as far as design and materials used. In the meantime until they arrive I may still try to make my own based on the other thread.

My kids got me a pair last year for Christmas. After opening presents we had breakfast and when we returned to the living room they had already been chewed. I had not even tried to put them on the dog yet, and she never chews things, so I took that as a sign.
I fly her without ear protection because she doesn't seem to mind, and I figure she had a chance and blew it.

Thought about trying to get my Black Lab in the back to enjoy some flights... More worried about trying to get him up there, more than anything. Anything special you do to help your lab up?

My yellow lab took to them around the house, then I had her wear them in the truck on the way to the airport. No problems :)

img_1208.png

img_1209.png

Just to wrap this thread up I ended up getting the 4 Paws Aviation Muffs for my pup and couldn't be happier. Price was about the same as the mutt muffs. These are more the quality I was expecting for paying $70 for a product. They may not be perfect but they have a much better design (my opinion) on the straps. The sound deadening seems much more effective as well compared to the mutt muffs I had my hands on. Hopefully they serve well to keep my dog's hearing loss to a minimum from our flights.

Back