- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
David, Did you mount the antenna in the fiberglass fairing vs mounting onto the top aluminum rib of the VS? Also do you have any internal pictures of the mounting?
I mounted it to the rib using the two 3/16" holes in the puck. I had to make a spacer under it to bring the bottom part of the puck flush with the aluminum. I did not trim the aluminum of the VS, just the fiberglass cap. I have no detail pics. I am bad about that stuff. If you put it up on top, make sure you get full rudder deflection. I had to push mine up all the way forward to give about 1/4" clearance at full deflection. I have seen other VOR antennas with smaller pucks and with steel antenna rods that actually protrude out about 3" before they bend and sweep back. With a small enough puck, you may be able to mount it further aft completely covered by the fiberglass cap with just a couple small slots for the rods to come through, and still get full rudder travel. I already had my antenna so used what I had.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Here are some pictures how we made it.. had to countersunk and use different screws on puk at the end to clear rudder:

http://www.aviatorshop.eu/RV-10/2017...-installation/

http://www.aviatorshop.eu/RV-10/2017...r-tip-fairing/

RV-10 in progress
Build Log

Last edited by supik : 01-19-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: 1 more link added
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Since no one else has really answered your question about static wicks yet, I'll just point out that you can find more than a few threads on the subject through the forum's the search function. There are a lot of opinions for and against them so it may or may not help much.
https://timsrv10blog.wordpress.com/
Old 01-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Does anyone have experience with static wicks from TCO Manufacturing? They seem to have acceptable prices for the non-certified units: http://search.skygeek.com/nav/Brand-TCO_Manufacturing

I was thinking about going with the B-4 mounting base + DD1 wicks..

(short research on the internet: Wichita, Kansas-based Aero-Mach Labs (which purchased longtime OEM supplier TCO Manufacturing a few years ago) sells its static discharge products to Textron for the current Cessna and Beechcraft product line, and its discharge wicks are on Eclipse jets.) source: http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issu...ks_6949-1.html

RV-10 in progress
Build Log

Last edited by supik : 01-26-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: found answer to my q.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:28 AM

I originally installed the ESD1 wick. It needed replacement after 3 years. It is constructed of solid plastic with a conductive coating that eventually wears off. I replaced them with the ESD-3 wick, which is substantially more robust constructions. They can be had a ACS http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=6974
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 AM

"The DD1 dischargers are identical to the ESD-3 dischargers used in the ground p-static tests except that the mounting base is different."

"..the noise levels of the TCO Manufacturing DDl static-wick dischargers were similar to the results obtained with the Dayton-Granger 16375."

"One obvious comparison to the Dayton-Granger dischargers was that for a given biased-discharger potential the TCO-DD1 dischargers allowed more current flow off the aircraft. One of the reasons for this behavior was attributed
to the lower corona threshold of the TCO-DD1 as compared to the Dayton-Granger."

Source: The Effects of Precipitation Static and Lightning on the Airborne Reception of LORANĚC

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 01-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims88 View Post
Since no one else has really answered your question about static wicks yet, I'll just point out that you can find more than a few threads on the subject through the forum's the search function. There are a lot of opinions for and against them so it may or may not help much.
Thanks Tim, I can now see it is a rather debated topic for/against. I was only looking specific to the RV-10 and had not widened my search. After a broader search I see the many threads on the subject. Many hours of reading, a call to Vans, and a call to Garmin I have decided against the wicks. After speaking with Garmin support they told me they are unaware of problems on airplanes without static wicks. I do plan on installing doublers in the elevator and the ailerons so that in the event I do find myself with a problem I have half of the solution in place to solve it. The rudder already has suitable locations for install without additional doublers.

VOR/GS/LOC Antenna
I ordered a 11-06806 Comant CI-158C-2 VOR LOC GS Antenna BNC, MS35265-48 832 X 7/8 Coarse Fillister MS slotted, and AN931-4-7 Elastic Grommet AN931-4-7 from Aircraft Spruce. Vans will be shipping me 5/8" conduit, nut plates, and plastic standoff part ES-00301. When I get done with the install I will post pictures. It was also brought to my attention that once completed the top of the VS where I intend to mount my antenna "puck" will be exposed to the elements as it has no additional structure above it except the rudder. Not sure what that will look like but it will need to be dealt with.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 AM

Tim, I am curious what Vans said..

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 01-28-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
I'm with Bob on risk tolerance. I had 2 IFR flights in the past 12 months into areas NOTAM'd for GPS degradation due to military testing. In both cases my GPS never flagged, but no way would I have launched IFR in ether instance without a working VOR/LOC/GS backup (and in my case 2). I like having options. YMMV......
Totally agree with Todd. NOTAMS concerning potential GPS inaccuracy due to military ops are surprisingly common. VOR may go away some day, but I'll bet it's going to be awhile. Like many have said, I navigate with GPS pretty much 100% of the time both VFR and IFR. I will always request an RNAV IAP if available, but still occcasionally need that ILS.
I have a cat whisker mounted under the tail as Vic describes. My SL-30 routinely picks up VOR signals 100+ nautical miles out. The 430W, using the same antenna is good for about 75 miles. Mine is a Comant, but I cant tell you which model.
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supik View Post
Tim, I am curious what Vans said..
Igor,

I believe it was Eric I spoke with. He said that NONE of the factory aircraft have wicks on them although he did say they are rarely flown in IFR (where static is most likely to occur). He was also unaware of issues on other aircraft without static wicks. I came to the conclusion that if there was a problem it would be known to someone either at Garmin or Vans and neither could report knowledge of issues. Eric is currently building a -10 and does not have wicks installed on his as a side note.

- Tim