What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 blade prop VS 3 blade Prop.

It's not just a matter of semantics to "inspect" versus "overhaul". However you are using both terms in the same context. One refers to measuring and evaluating for remaining service life, the other requires repairing or replacement of parts that are outside of service limits to restore the component; these are different processes, both physically - and legally in a certified aircraft. I do highly advocate inspecting and doing so on a recurring basis, at least annually and then only overhauling when the inspection condition dictates. Let me put this in context of Continental engines, which I am intimately familiar with; the manual requires an inspection on various times of 50, 100, 500 hours and so on, and then states to overhaul at another time, which varies widely with the engine model.

Having been part of the process myself, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you about how the final times are set - which is really irrelavent at this point. I do agree with you that they are established on a conservative basis.

And again, your discussion of Whirlwind Propellers brings confusion - it should be applied to Whirlwind Aviation, not Whirlwind Propellers - these are two different companies and propellers. The quote I provided previously is from the WWP maintenance section of their provided manual, not a website; it's related to their fixed pitch propeller and it has NO SPECIFIC TBO listed. This thread was about fixed pitch propellers for RV-12's, not constant speed propellers.

In the end, I simply want to encourage folks to perform inspections and not blindly replace components when a timer pops up.

99.9 % of the RV-12's flying use fixed pitch ground adjustable propellers which the manufacture specifies be disassembled and inspected at each condition inspection' so the discussion is still relivent

You didn't happen to exist in another life using the user ID GMCJetPilot by any chance? :rolleyes:

99.9 % of the RV-12's flying use fixed pitch ground adjustable propellers which the manufacture specifies be disassembled and inspected at each condition inspection' so the discussion is still relivent

You didn't happen to exist in another life using the user ID GMCJetPilot by any chance? :rolleyes:

No, however I am a nuclear engineer, and accuracy is important to me. We wouldn't even be having this discussion except a previous poster said:

There are certainly newer ones coming along, such as Whirlwind, and I hope to try their 3-blade someday, but for now the TBOH periods are too low for me, as I fly about 300-350 hours per year.

He was referrring to Whirlwind Aviation propellers, which are constant speed - not Whirlwind Propellers, which are fixed pitch and do NOT have a stated TBO. He then proceeded to tell me I was wrong when I quoted the maintenance manual from the correct manufacturer when he referred to a number posted on another manufacturer's website. This is misinformation to anyone who might be looking for a fixed pitch propeller for their RV-12. And that's relevant.

Furthermore (yep, used that word...), I fly about 250 hours a years, and I will say emphatically that if you're flying 300-350 hours a year on a constant speed prop - Hartzell, MT, etc... you should be doing much more frequent inspections than just an annual condition inspection - you need to lubricate the hub. This is the crux of what got my attention.

Wow, guys! ... I thought my question about ELT batteries kicked a hornets nest, but it's got nothing on this fray!😜

Back