What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to make a 0.75" Hole in Stainless Firewall?

DHeal

Well Known Member
I need to make a 0.75" hole in the "already installed" stainless steel firewall on my RV-12. What would be the best way to make this hole - drill bit, Uni-Bit, punch, etc? I prefer to not bleed. Thanks for any useful tips!

Drill Bit -NO - NO - NO
Unit-bit - OK
but make it one step undersize and then use a carbide burr or sand out to size. Be very careful - - don't touch it until sanded to final smooth.

If the undersize looks good, no distortion tearing etc. then go for the next one, otherwise use method above.

Best - punch! - still have to sand the burr

YMMV

Last edited:
SS hole

The rota cut style will work. I used a high dollar carbide unit ( my brother in laws) and it was beautiful. If you only need one hole, try a cheap one.

Hi David, Just did one in my six..... Used a uni-bit, but started with a standard drill bit for the pilot hole. Center punch... drill 1/8"... then 1/4" then uni-bit. Used a battery drill motor on low speed-high torque and used a little cutting oil. Go slow and use firm pressure to keep it cutting. Did a nice job.

Greenlee step drill

A step drill (Greenlee Cat#36414) worked well. I used it for the throttle and mixture cables. Bought it at Lowes, Found it in the electrical aisle.

step drill

did it on my RV10 yesterday with a Harbor Freight step drill. Slow and steady and it worked out fine.

Larry

Follow-up: I used my trusty Uni-Bit tool and a touch of coolant to make a very round/neat 0.75" hole. As expected, it left a pretty good-sized burr on the outboard side of the hole which was quickly smoothed with a Dremel grinder bit and deburring tool. Thanks for all the input!

ps -- While an interesting idea, use of a 1911A1 was considered but deemed not legal - this is California don't ya know. ;)

Back