What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 No Flap Landing

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Flew twice today, this morning to a local EAA Chapter meeting (and for fuel) and this afternoon blasted off with a WOT climb to 8500' for a 75% power run and later a no flap landing at Bowling Green, MO.

The run at 8500' was to see what it would do before the wheel pants are installed. They are drilled and ready but not yet attached.

The EFIS indicated 172 KTAS. It uses IAS, OAT and I believe pressure altitude to compute its number. A 4 leg GPS ground speed average was 166. Either way it is not too shabby for a dirty 8, 191 mph or 198 mph (of course I will take the faster but 191 is probably more accurate, the EFIS has more calibrating in its future). Vans says the 8 with 180 HP will come in at 203 mph, this machine should do that or better once all the fairings are installed.

The no flap landing on 3204' of asphalt was a total non event. The approach was made at 70 knots, flared and when the mains touched a bit of forward pressure and the landing done. I could have stopped in less than 2000' easy but let it roll to the end. I did a 180 for a departure but there looking at me was a crop duster just landed, did another 180 and got out of his way, he was bigger and working for a living. :)

Later in flight came eye ball to eye ball with a large turkey buzzard. He went into a dive and I went into a climb, glad we did not meet.

I like flying this airplane, it is fun.

I love all your reports David! Very encouraging as I'm sanding fiberglass and finishing up my baffles...

Back