What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Question

Tnikkel5

I have a quick build RV-8 and I just mounted one of my flaps the other day and was wondering if the inboard end of the flap was suppose to be bent at a 90 degree angle like the rest the the flap leading edge is, so it increases the strength and doesn't interfere with the wing rear spar? As it is now the inboard leading edge hits the rear spar/flap brace in the full retracted(Up) position. If not should I trim some of the inboard leading edge off, so it doesn't rest up against the rear spar/flap brace?

Flap Rig

I also had QB wings, Trimming the leading edge was not needed. You may want to wait until you get the wings installed on the fuselage. At that time the ailerons can be properly lined up with the tooling holes so that they will be inline with the wing. Then the flaps can be installed, the only trimming that was needed was so they did not interfere with the fuselage. They are then lined up with the ailerons by building/adjusting the flap control rods.
Hope that helps.

photo%25203.JPG

Flap on and rigged

I just test fit my flaps the other day and noted they too were quite close but in my build manual on page 7-11 it mentions to expect to trim the upper skin slightly but to wait until the wings are mounted.

Last edited:
Tooling holes.

Yes the tooling hole are used to line up the cord line, from leading edge to trailing edge. If you get your holes all in a strait line then make a plywood cord template around the skins. You can use that template for fast checks of the wing and its trailing edges, down the road. Yes it takes some time to do this, but you don't ever throw one away. This is the way it was done before match hole-pre-punch. Hope this helps R.E.A. III # 80888

Back