What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bell crank motion

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
I am slowly working on my set of quick build RV-8 wings and have a question regarding the aileron bellcrank. I am looking at DWG 15A and build manual page 7-11, final paragraph.
When I set the bellcrank assembly up I had the requisite additional length of the bushing over the WD-421 (per DWG 15A) where it is secured by the -32 length bolt between the W-823PP brackets.
When I tighten the -32 length bolt to final torque spec I find that I am still able to slide the WD-421 along the length of the bolt between the brackets ever so slightly. One side moves about .010", the other about .030".
Unfortunately I am not able to discern if the motion is the bushing sliding on the bolt between the brackets or if it is the bellcrank sliding on the bushing but I am guessing it is the bellcrank sliding on the bushing, just by the nature of how the parts are assembled.
The only way I can think to test what is moving is to over tighten the bolt and see if the motion goes away...but then I would need to get a new set of bolts.
In either case, reading the final paragraph on page 7-11 says that the bellcrank is held "Firmly between the bellcrank brackets with the bolt."

Is a little motion along there normal or should there be no movement at all?

I sent this question in to Van's and will post the answer when I receive it but was curious what other builders are seeing.

Seems about right

From my -7 plans, the bushing is supposed to be slightly longer than the bellcrank by about 1/64 to 1/32 (~0.015 to 0.030) so that the bushing is clamped by the bolt, and the bellcrank rotates around the bushing. Plans sez to adjust one or the other as req'd to get the right fit. Sounds like you're just right.

A bigger time sink for me was to burnish the bushing the right amount to keep it from binding on the bellcrank as it rotated. I must of had it on and off 4 times before it felt real smmooooth.

The 8 plans say the same thing (no big surprise there, same wing) and my bushings were/are within the range of acceptable length beyond the length of the bellcrank. Aside from reaming and burnishing edges to allow free rotation in the bellcrank I did no work to alter the length from as delivered with the kit. Just wondered if anybody else was able to slide the bellcrank up and down between the attach brackets. Very slight, but definitely movable.

Yes, mine also moves between the brackets. But it is supposed to. With the bushing clamped between the two brackets there will be a slight movement of the bellcrank up and down the bushing because the bellcrank is shorter than the copper bushing.

Pretty much what I suspected for the exact reason you mention. The bushing is just slightly longer than the bell crank so by the very nature of the way the assembly is built up there could be a slight amount of motion but what gave me pause is the instruction manual says the bell crank is held tight between the brackets.

Back