What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of FPS - Flap Positioning System RV-8

Anna

Hello RV-Builders,

I wondered how to finally install the FPS (Flap Positioning System) on my RV8.
My idea was to install it the way shown in the pictures below.

My questions would be:
- Are there any issues with my installation because of wiring or anything else you could think of?
- Would you propose to install the FPS 180? rotated?
- Perhaps somebody has some pictures of her/ his installation. That would be very helpful?

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Best wishes
Anna

OBAvpCiGJp.jpeg

6jKoOylbf4.jpeg

I don't know how it's supposed to be installed on a RV8 but looks about right. I can't tell from the picture if the wires have the right amount of slack to allow full movement (and then some). The wires should have support so they don't pull/bend where they go into the case. Maybe put a few wraps of electrical tape around the silver housing about where the white sticker is, then tywrap the wires to the taped area.

The hole in the arm rest structure perhaps should be enlarged where the sensor rod is for clearance.

Doesn't appear to be enough threads showing past the nut on the upper bolt.

Bevan

Last edited:
I don't recommend installing it with the motor down. The clearance is not the same. I saw this, and the first time it was test run, the motor jammed against the fuselage skin and made quite the dent. (Don't ask)
Also the sensor switch unit raises more than shown in the photo. You will need to enlarge the hole in the arm rest.
And, many have made a cover plate for above the armrest.
And...there is a SD on safety wiring the unit on Van's website.
IMHO YMMV

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips regarding the tywrap and to not turn the motor opposite as shown in the drawing.

I just wanted to wait with further trimming the metal there, to not increase the hole far too big in case my mounting option is not recommended... I will torque and secure the screw when the hole is finished and I can finally install the FPS :)

The motor is on top in my RV7. Check the instructions.

There needs to be safety wire at the opposite end from the motor to prevent it from unscrewing itself.

Bevan

Back