What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a new to me 8 question

Soju Hunter

I'm New Here
If I buy a new to me -8 that isn't equiped to my liking, I can not change the engine or install new avionics correct? Since I'm not the builder..

Ryan, that's the beauty about "experimental" aviation, as Mike says...you can rip out the old panel and avionics, add stuff to your liking and just do a new weight and balance.

For annual/condition inspections, an A&P can do them....an IA is not needed.

Best, and welcome to the RV world,

Read the operating limitations. You can change the engine but if it is a different type of engine (more power, etc) you will have to go back to phase 1 testing.

Km
Read the operating limitations. You can change the engine but if it is a different type of engine (more power, etc) you will have to go back to phase 1 testing.

When I replaced my 135 HP O-290 with a 180+ HP O-360 that new Phase 1 test period lasted five hours. Nothing to be afraid of.

A friend bought an RV-6 and upgraded the panel and changed the prop to a constant speed unit. When it was time he had an A&P sign his Condition Inspection. That's the key, the A&P signs that the airplane is in condition for safe flight, not that it conforms to a Type Certificate like an IA would for "Certified" airplane such as a Cessna.

Last edited:
If I buy a new to me -8 that isn't equiped to my liking, I can not change the engine or install new avionics correct? Since I'm not the builder..
With the number of good planes out there today, and the still sore economy in much of the country, this is an excellent way to get into an RV quickly. Buy a solid RV, then customize. I'd absolutely go this route I were looking today.

Back