What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Tape

n38139

Well Known Member
I don't know what you call it but I am looking for the clear type anti-chaffing tape for the leading edges of my flaps after paint. It had a stainless tape but I removed it for painting.

thx

Vans uses UHMW poly tape and carries it in the online store. It is not perfectly clear but abrasion resistant. I have had mine on for over 5 years.

A friend of mine here uses the soft fuzzy side of some adhesive backed industrial Velcro on the under side of the top wing skin, rather than stick UHMW tape to the painted flap surface. It seems to work well, I plan to do the same some day.

This is what I used, happy with the application process, and the results from the year it has been on the plane.

I bought the 6" width, and split it into two 3" pieces.

Is it a hard surface or a bit soft, like you can dig your nail in?

A friend of mine here uses the soft fuzzy side of some adhesive backed industrial Velcro on the under side of the top wing skin, rather than stick UHMW tape to the painted flap surface. It seems to work well, I plan to do the same some day.

In the desert here that solution sounds like it would trap grit particles and scratch the flap paint. :mad:

Back