What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Game On !!!

1bigdog

Well Known Member
With the practice kit complete it's now game on.

Practice1.JPG

Practice2.JPG

Not sure I was happy about "modifying" the no-nose yoke to do a better job on the last 4 trailing edge rivets but the mod will make for perfect flush rivets using the squeezer.

Also not happy with the leading edge as I didn't bend in the upper edge quite enough and will probably use a smaller radius pipe for most of the rest of the project.

Finally, when doing the trailing AEX wedge on the real thing glue will come in handy. I will want to practice more on "filling in" that back-riveted side on the shop side. I'm not sure the 3-3 is quite enough to fill the dimple and even a 3.5 ( as an experiment) didn't seem to quite fill it in either so I suspect there will be more experimentation to come during the empennage.

But the back riveting came out nice. All the squeezer rivets are nice. And I learned to use the factory head on the thin sheet side when putting together multiple panels to avoid deforming the thinnest sheet of a stack of three (spar, rib, skin - factory side on the skin !).

Empennage is waiting in the garage.

My tail is reserved as C-FMBC.

Letter of intent and Response complete with MD-RA.

Membership complete (as long as Doug got my snail mail).

Game on !

Thanks for everyone valuable input thus far.
Cleko's about to start flying all over the place.

Michael B.
Markham Ontario
RV-9A
C-FMBC

Last edited:
Congratulations

Congratulations on getting started.
Lots of tricks on VAF. Always do a search before starting a component. It will save you.
On leading edges, first roll the edge just a hair. I use a smaller pipe first to form the edge then switch to the 3/4" to finish the curve. Look for tips on setting up a bending brake jig. Most use big "J" hooks.
On the AEX, proseal it in place using a piece of angle pre match drilled to the trailing edge. Leave it for a week to set then proceed with the riveting.

Back