What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Replacement Screws

cwilkins

I recently bought an RV-8 and removed the floor underneath the front seat. Some of the screws are mismatched, a few were missing, and a few were almost stripped. I do not have a copy of the plans, so was wondering if anyone can tell me the part number for the proper replacement screws. Mismatched screws are a pet peeve.

If I recall correctly the seat pans in my RV7 use an AN515‑8r8 screw, I am guessing they are the same for the RV8

Cheers

Mismatched screws are a pet peeve.
1. “Mismatched” screws may be per plans as they are on the -9 in order to eliminate potential interference with, for example , the control system. There are also many places where Vans calls for a longer screw than needed just to minimize part count. A shorter screw may be better (as in lighter) in places where it is possible to use a shorter screw.
2. To know for sure, every owner of an RV should have a set of plans. They come on a USB stick for almost nothing in terms of cost.
Good luck as you get to know your plane.

yes, AN515-8R8 screws are used extensively for the pilot seat ramp, throttle quadrant, aft seat footwell assembly, consoles, etc.

Micro Fasteners 6-lobe screws

Ordered a set of plans from Vans and a pile of 8R8 screws from aircraft spruce.
Sorry to be replying after you already ordered screws.

A company named Micro Fasteners sells 6-lobe (Torx) SS machine screws that are superior in many ways to the plans' screws. I'll let the pundits argue the downside of using them in "structural" applications but for hard-to-access cockpit and baggage compartment fasteners, they can't be beat.

I installed them (using a small amount of Boelube) in place of all floor and console screws and have never had one fail, neither the head nor the thread. This was after years of experience using the 10-32 size into nutplates as my Long-EZ's cowl fasteners.

MicroFasteners.com

If that link doesn't work, navigate to Microfasteners.com and drill down to
Machine Screws :: Button Head Screws :: 6-Lobe :: Stainless

Very good, Craig. You'll particularly appreciate them in your -8 in the forward baggage floor and the consoles. Using a small ratcheting handle allows me to access those "impossible" screws where it is difficult to get purchase with a Phillips bit.

Be sure to use a little lube the first time you install them and drive them slowly if using a power screwdriver -- it's easy to gall them as they're no match for the steel nutplates. The wimpiest power screwdriver is best in this case.

Stainless socket hex and now Torx from Micro Fastners is all I've used for the last 15 or more years on all number 6 and 8 panel, pants and fairing applications throughout the plane. If I find one getting a little tight I just run a tap through the nutplate. Works great.

Last edited:
I have torx on everything from the wings to the wingtips to the wheelpants to the everywhere ! Just make sure you spend money and buy a good torx bit. I ended up learning the hard way that the bits I was using were cheap and stripped some of my screws.

Back