Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Snopercod: what are those white cords that are glassed into the skin on a diagonal?
Those are Nylon tubing. Originally I had the great idea of installing a VOR antenna inside the horizontal stabilizer. Unfortunately, the ends of the tubing are so far back in the tailcone now that there's no way to reach them. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM

Default CF Control Surface

The cause of the F-117 accident was not due directly to aileron flutter. Four of 5 one-inch bolts holding the outer wing panel were missing. There is no reason a CF aileron or flap cannot be designed, built, and tested successfully for an RV. Instead of layups, epoxy, and autoclaves, build it out of CF and make the structure very similar to aluminum. Mechanical fasteners can be used where they make sense, and either epoxy or structural adhesive can be used where that makes sense. Impossible is temporary.

Last edited by Terry Lutz : 09-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Default CF aileron question ?

I replaced badly fabricated ailerons on my -3 with new construction. They work VERY well. I like to tinker with composites and considered rebuilding the bad ones with CF skins and either CF ribs or foam. Without getting into a lot science above my pay grade, would a counter balanced aileron, like elevators, eliminate concern for flutter ?
Clinton, IN
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM

I am sure you can make balanced composite control surfaces for your RV. But it would be so much more work than the aluminum ones that one has to ask why bother? You would have to make tooling (molds etc). Whereas an RV aileron can probably be made in a week of evenings and it would be ready to fly. There is no guarantee that a composite one would be any lighter.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:33 PM

i once considered CF empanage control surfaces. after running the numbers for composite construction the weight would be about the same as the current RV aluminum ones. i wanted them for possible increased stiffness not necessarily being lighter. the RV ailerons are not a flutter problem if they are connected through the control surfaces and have good hardware. believe it or not some have forgotten control tube rivets. the flutter range for the wing and control surfaces is far above the empanage and with generally good construction techniques it isn't what you need to be worried about. i followed ken kruegers' suggestions for increased stiffness for my rudder and elevators. since then i have had no cracking or any apparent problems with them. this was my 3rd set and they still look as good as the day i made them probably 1500 hrs ago. the certain thing about aluminum surfaces is you can KNOW how good they are made and how strong they were intended to be, not so easy with composites. you really need to know what your doing when making CF surfaces.