What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where is the sun?

Paul K

Well Known Member
It's been a really long time without seeing any sun so when a small hole opens in the clouds with blue sky above.... If you don't live in Michigan, you wouldn't understand!

2cd901z.jpg
[/IMG]

9vinau.jpg
[/IMG]

15gfk29.jpg
[/IMG]

oucoq9.jpg
[/IMG]

2cf1hc.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey Paul, I was in GR today. I should have given you a call!! I have a project on Ionia Street downtown. Next time I am in town maybe we can get together.

I have to agree - this state has weird weather!!

Indiana is some what different. We have the prize for the most clouds locked up. Our state is known as is the land of the cloud... and taxes.

Rockwoodrv9

Yes, please give me a call. We can have lunch or something. If the weather is decent, we can fly to lunch!

Nice run Paul! Next time try chasing the Glory Ghost closer to the clouds. When the layer is thin of course. You would be surprised what you see :)

15gfk29.jpg

Hi Paul, I just wanted to send out an invite to EAA Chapter 55 (Mason, Mi. KTEW) meeting this Saturday Dec 8. Free (donations accepted) pancakes, eggs, & sausage breakeast 8:00 - 9:30 then a short chapter meeting 9:30. Aircraft parking available in front of our hanger. All are welcome! Jeff

Last edited:
Weather data from this past month confirmed that Cleveland just had its 3rd cloudiest November on record......

I thought it had been really dreary so far this winter and turns out I was right. The frustrating thing (as a professional pilot who flies in this gloom several times a week) is that if you can climb to about 6000', it's usually CAVU as far as you can see in all directions. Stupid dirty highs!

Mike, My whole life we always said, the closest distance to sunshine is straight up!

Warden, Thanks for the invite but I am running in a event Saturday morning. I'll send out an email to the rest of our chapter members.

Weather data from this past month confirmed that Cleveland just had its 3rd cloudiest November on record......

I thought it had been really dreary so far this winter and turns out I was right. The frustrating thing (as a professional pilot who flies in this gloom several times a week) is that if you can climb to about 6000', it's usually CAVU as far as you can see in all directions. Stupid dirty highs!

And don't forget wet... I'm based at a private strip about 15 miles SW of KCLE. Usually nice flying off of hard grass in the fall - not this year. Last flew on 10-26. Won't fly again until spring unless ground freezes. :(

Where is the Sun?

I don't know where the sun is. Photo taken at work exactly at 11:57AM today.

Camera would not take a photo without the flash activating, in any direction, (old digital from the 1990's). You can see the flash due to the reflector on the tree left side of photo.

Notice anything wrong with the photo? Real easy to see the issue....Green Grass in Alaska in December????????
100-0464.jpg

Ok, now for the parking lot shot. No, that is not the sun upper middle, it is a rain drop.
100-0467.jpg

We are still loosing 3+minutes a day, in two weeks that will change.

Have not been flying since Oct. 10th. Weather has been real warm and full of rain, with plenty of dark. No way to find a hole to climb above and see the sun.

Last week after the ground shaker, wanted to fly and get some photos. No way: airliner pilot report:10,000 ft to 1,000ft in cloud- rime ice over Turnagin Arm going into Anchorage.

Ground shaker hit plenty hard, lasted long enough make sure the eyes were wide open. Road between work and home needing repair, nothing major like Anchorage. One more reason to own a vehicle with 4-wheel drive. They've removed the pavement, installed a sign " Pavement Break" and now have some gravel patches with potholes that seem to test the shocks about the same as the mosaic pavement that the gravel replaced.

Interesting fall this year. Where's the sun and snow?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Not sure I could get along on only a couple hours of light! I know my wife couldn't. Our only visit to Alaska has been mid summer and we loved it.

Cleveland wins

When I was a district manager at Hewlett-Packard back in the 80?s, one of our customers was the Ravenna Arsenal, located between Cleveland and Erie. I asked why the arsenal was built there, seeing as all of the military bases were at the other end of the State? I was told that it was built during WWII, the heyday of precision daylight bombing. Allegedly the army did a study to find the most continuous cloud cover in the country and discovered Ravenna.

I still remember my first day at Davis-Monthan AFB in 1975. I woke up to the the prettiest blue sky I had ever seen in my life! What a contrast. I still miss it. I kept track and didn?t see a cloud for over 120 days. 😀

Vic

Back