What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

"The GDL 39 antenna, internal or external, should be mounted at least 3.3 feet (1 meter) away from the path of a VHF radio antenna. The GDL 39 should be mounted at least 6 inches (10.24 cm) away from a magnetic compass. If using an external ADS-B antenna, it is recommended to locate the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft..."

3.3 feet is the minimum. 5 feet would be optimal.

The Garmin 660 is excellent.

Since we are on the subject of GDL39 with 660...

What is the maximum amount of tilt the GDL can be mounted on and still expect reasonable AHRS results? The portion of my glare shield I'd like to mount the GDL39 to is approx nose down 25?, but wings level.

Thanks!

Matt

Since we are on the subject of GDL39 with 660...

What is the maximum amount of tilt the GDL can be mounted on and still expect reasonable AHRS results? The portion of my glare shield I'd like to mount the GDL39 to is approx nose down 25?, but wings level.

Thanks!

Matt

Hello Matt,

The manual says the GDL 39 3D doesn't have to be perfectly level, and 25 degs nose down is certainly a long way from level, but we tested one and it was able to align and operate with that pitch offset.

Give it a try and if you don't like the performance find a way to level it up a bit and see if that works better. It will probably work fine.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL-39-3D

Hi Steve

I have a GDL-39-3D installed in my RV-4 with a G796 and was wondering if the GDL-39 should keep its attitude on shotdown.

By that I mean once levelled in flight ,should it remember the attitude it was at on shotdown on the next power up.

I have to reset the attitude of mine everytime I go flying...No very useful if I wanna use it as a back up to my EFIS on a crappy day departure.My RV-4 sit about 8 degres nose up on the ground.

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hi Steve

I have a GDL-39-3D installed in my RV-4 with a G796 and was wondering if the GDL-39 should keep its attitude on shotdown.

By that I mean once levelled in flight ,should it remember the attitude it was at on shotdown on the next power up.

I have to reset the attitude of mine everytime I go flying...No very useful if I wanna use it as a back up to my EFIS on a crappy day departure.My RV-4 sit about 8 degres nose up on the ground.

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Bruno,

The GDL 39 3D is a portable AHRS, and thus designed to adapt to the portable environment. At each power up the unit performs an auto alignment of the attitude sensors and establishes the pitch/roll offsets of the surface where it has been placed before power-up.

For example, if someone puts the unit on their desk and powers up the Aera 660/795/796 and the GDL, they expect the 3D vision page to show the pitch and roll to be zero because the desk is level. The system will indeed show the attitude to be level due to the auto-alignment process that occurs at each power-up.

At any time during flight, the user can issue the "re-cage" command from the portable which tells the GDL 39 3D to re-establish the pitch/roll offsets at this level cruise aircraft attitude. Notice that this happens immediately since the AHRS does not have to go through a re-alignment like it does at power-up.

So far, so good. Now comes along a customer who has permanently installed the GDL 39 3D in their aircraft and wants it to behave like a strap down AHRS with the pitch/roll offset fixed at installation (like our GSU25, G5, and even the GTX 345 transponder with AHRS).

There isn't currently a way to configure the GDL 39 3D to behave like a permanently mounted AHRS with pitch/roll offsets fixed at installation, so it will be necessary to issue the cage command after your tail-dragger aircraft is straight and level.

We consider a portable AHRS to be a "backup to the backup", so if you intend to launch into IMC and want a backup flight instrument, we hope you will install a true backup instrument like the G5.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
GDL-39-3D

Hi Steve

Thank you for the reply.

''the unit performs an auto alignment of the attitude sensors and establishes the pitch/roll offsets of the surface where it has been placed before power-up.''

So if I get this right, you mean to say that once the alignment is complete , the GDL-39 should show the actual pitch angle of my RV-4 ( Let's say 8 degrees nose up ) and whatever Roll angle there is at the time..Am I ok on this??

I would love to install a G5 if I had the room but it is seriously lacking in a -4.

A feature like the Stratus 2S will be nice.It might be something good for Garmin to consider on a next update..;-)

Thanks again

Bruno

Hi Steve,
would it be possible to give the plane symbol a better visible color than white?
yellow or red would be nice. Also a possibility to make the aircraft symbol bigger would be also nice. It is very hard to see the symbol, especially for my father.
This could be integrated in the Profile Menu.
Is there a possibility to make the audio signal louder as it is? I use a audio mixer where I collect all audio signals, but all the other signals have a higher max volume as the Aera660.
After using a 496 the new touchscreen Menu is really a great feature. Very easy to use and understand!

Christian

Hi Steve,

I just found out about the firmware upgrade (2.60) to my Aera 660 in this forum, not a notification from Garmin.

Does Garmin not notify users with registered devices?

Love the Aera 660, trying to hunt down a GDL-39 or GDL-39 3D to pair it with.

Thanks,
Shawn

Auto Reconnect

I have the flight stream 210 installed. My 660 will not connect up on initial power up. I have to go to BT setting on 660 and hit connect.

In flight I have seen now issues of losing a connection. It is just a pain to have to pair the 660 every flight.

I have auto reconnect enabled on the 660, is there another setting that I am missing?

What I want is for the 660 to pair to the FS 210 anytime it is on.

Cheers

Mike Elliott

Hi Steve,
would it be possible to give the plane symbol a better visible color than white?
yellow or red would be nice. Also a possibility to make the aircraft symbol bigger would be also nice. It is very hard to see the symbol, especially for my father.
This could be integrated in the Profile Menu.
Is there a possibility to make the audio signal louder as it is? I use a audio mixer where I collect all audio signals, but all the other signals have a higher max volume as the Aera660.
After using a 496 the new touchscreen Menu is really a great feature. Very easy to use and understand!

Christian

Hello Christian,

We will take note of your request for yellow or red aircraft in addition to the high contrast white that is now used.

Pretty surprised to read your comment about the alert volume. If we plug a small un-amplified headset into the audio output and set the volume at 50%, it is painfully loud. We certainly have no problem having way more volume than necessary when connecting the aera 660 alert audio to any input on a Garmin audio panel.

It would be best to contact us directly for tech support. One of the things we will verify is that the left and right audio sides are NOT being tied together. You should use just the Audio Left and Audio Common if connecting this audio output to a mono audio system.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the flight stream 210 installed. My 660 will not connect up on initial power up. I have to go to BT setting on 660 and hit connect.

In flight I have seen now issues of losing a connection. It is just a pain to have to pair the 660 every flight.

I have auto reconnect enabled on the 660, is there another setting that I am missing?

What I want is for the 660 to pair to the FS 210 anytime it is on.

Cheers

Mike Elliott

Hello Mike,

It would be best to contact us directly by phone or email (shown below) if you need technical support.

This site is great, but it isn't a good place to come if you want our support. For example, there is no mention above of what software version you are using, so this is one of the first questions we will ask in finding a solution to your issue.

If you were looking for assistance from others, then please ignore this posting.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I just found out about the firmware upgrade (2.60) to my Aera 660 in this forum, not a notification from Garmin.

Does Garmin not notify users with registered devices?

Love the Aera 660, trying to hunt down a GDL-39 or GDL-39 3D to pair it with.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hello Shawn,

If you follow this link and then click on "Get Alerts when new software is available", you can receive an email when new software is available for many of our products.

Also, don't forget that your aera 660 V2.60 software is now watching the FlyGarmin server for the next new software to be available, and when it is it will prompt you and ask if you are ready to download it via WiFi and install it.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you Steve, I just signed up to get the update and download alerts delivered by email. Now I'm informed.

Another question for you, I read in the GDL-39 manual "The internal GPS receiver is used for processing of traffic and weather data, and also providing position information to the display device."

If I have my new (used) GDL-39 3D hardwired to the 660 this means the internal WAAS GPS inside the GDL-39 will send its data to the Aera 660. Will I not need an external antenna plugged into the Aera 660 then? I bought the GA 25MCX antenna and I'm currently using that with my Aera 660. I'd like to remove it if it's not needed.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:
Concerning the aera 660. Can the 660 interface with fuel flow information from an engine monitor? Either in or out?

For example, my EI CGR-30P provides for fuel data to the current way point if an external GPS is connected to it. So my question there would be could I connect the engine monitor's Moving Map Data "in" pin to one of the data "out" pins of the aera 660 (like say the Orange wire) configured as NMEA Out normal or fast? Similarly, if the aera 660 is capable of displaying fuel data I could route the engine monitor's fuel data "out" pin to one of the data "in" pins on the 660 (like say the Purple wire).

Of the two the first option (aera GPS moving map data to fuel flow device) would be the most beneficial. Not so sure about engine monitor data in to the aera 660. Looks like most "in" information is Garmin proprietary.

Are either of these data paths supported by the aera 660? I want to make sure my panel planning doesn't fall on it's face somewhere.

Thanks Again,

Jim

Thank you Steve, I just signed up to get the update and download alerts delivered by email. Now I'm informed.

Another question for you, I read in the GDL-39 manual "The internal GPS receiver is used for processing of traffic and weather data, and also providing position information to the display device."

If I have my new (used) GDL-39 3D hardwired to the 660 this means the internal WAAS GPS inside the GDL-39 will send its data to the Aera 660. Will I not need an external antenna plugged into the Aera 660 then? I bought the GA 25MCX antenna and I'm currently using that with my Aera 660. I'd like to remove it if it's not needed.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hello Shawn,

Your aera 660 is the GPS navigator in the installation you describe and does not use GPS data from the GDL39.

The GDL39 will receive GPS data from the aera 660 and will not use its own internal GPS receiver.

The comment in the manual about the GDL39 providing GPS data to the display only applies if it is being used with tablets and phones.

Thanks,
Steve

Concerning the aera 660. Can the 660 interface with fuel flow information from an engine monitor? Either in or out?

For example, my EI CGR-30P provides for fuel data to the current way point if an external GPS is connected to it. So my question there would be could I connect the engine monitor's Moving Map Data "in" pin to one of the data "out" pins of the aera 660 (like say the Orange wire) configured as NMEA Out normal or fast? Similarly, if the aera 660 is capable of displaying fuel data I could route the engine monitor's fuel data "out" pin to one of the data "in" pins on the 660 (like say the Purple wire).

Of the two the first option (aera GPS moving map data to fuel flow device) would be the most beneficial. Not so sure about engine monitor data in to the aera 660. Looks like most "in" information is Garmin proprietary.

Are either of these data paths supported by the aera 660? I want to make sure my panel planning doesn't fall on it's face somewhere.

Thanks Again,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Page 140 of the Rev. A aera 660 Pilot's Guide lists the available RS-232 port input/output formats. NMEA Out is one of the available formats, and should work for the need you identify.

None of the aera 660 input formats support receiving fuel flow or engine data.

Thanks,
Steve

Aera 660 V2.70 Software

Hello,

V2.70 software for the aera 660 was released this week. The next time you power-up the 660 with WiFi access, it should ask you if you want to download and install this software. You may also update over USB if you prefer.

The changes are mostly behind-the-scene improvements, but the unit is now able to calculate an above ground (AGL) altitude and optionally show this on the main map in a user configurable field and on the 3D Vision page at the bottom of the altitude tape.

gSULXEZzBKhrlwuCXjL9Dvb-5TfZgGFCiU9dPxt3nuqIuU53eVzXrfIx4NL2ueuoJrybKwdC5sc3yINv0_2gNWoPh0Cew9e0oboi4ckcnXpIgd2xvnK1vL4W-rTcqBscQnGgYwpBB8R9XeTHAMX2pW-iT2H3VtA0HWhgbvJHv7TJeMwCCKOyRQlga-uKFbrFpigcwLBQQYrmhCqum0Ukce1sXDIVAGnqSg-9aW6q7Q7ENspAzebt8zMJzggdFjLRCD6mIfbjUnmrPYbXxVmp8PZSQ8B0zn4EEIDrRUfcIfnWNB983BVzOWGfRU9m3fZ6F5SuEf-aoZoqcRCHv5mzNd76J2Y1UmT5GseEjp7nHMVOht70_fQu-aPBD8w2WSRJlP5Yll9A2ytKw2x0qv-pBo6Mv57IM5i3TF4GTtR4RQAP6589HnQh2LJozhr4B3mMjCf7LSXK0ysXjCAuPa1KscTDLM81iJ2lercJSnupa5jpEfFBj7kfU1DOKeekvpfBV7siwD0Go1ElLTQ_YhQc8O-3Fvk06juIMnGk13hy0RMJxYTCUh9K3HHj9jVF_9K2dpqpvHWGHV37H7nth3fUNmakiTO8Tyn4fJTJSwfIjDfIy6zS=w466-h776-no

-fguM_PxTx3s2zEktdOwY8CYUO9ryyiZ6clFeg2nd51vlYy7-47PU6Bd43Ji1YU_oLez3bS1JNo-MHgnpQe8Y0ShYEaMiUX-tipuzeVPL4j109Rjss7nBCglxV0lZTtvngSlGrbwm2OFkO1iTrD1Bs9AHYcCtPDc6ixKigiBQEhANug2Q2GkY17z1g6cTYV69aSI3MUJ4CO2Y-7LF3XMluZv238F1fTzIDxojKu725RalWptvfMlZfi9vmUj-9t-zlJW5arLIcsmls-UOGf6_SkC-iwkel7ljr9qteVYTgqN_9c6hGPsuv5XbysHMrM3QxCUTyuRD8TTzdozI6EZ8_RGnY0HkWrDLALihJn1gEHZtgWJv0xftT56phfR4BDW1E0BMIRy-5IEWfEBgM_01o6VBoA4oq4HWW4EN2U5h0bJXQzSuFYxyTLSpeyEL5kAJ23aJUZmAtED-q6yhjm65AsLw4DBNCX62A5CARk4MmDTjHmsJBH-8v1JX7b8yLDleXrq5v37dhf9d0vb2ReFfAo-nk8_71zdpCmduIZHecsq_Haf9OqvLr468_2D--nsNNbScxbhO6IaPlsAFaOkAUu6FfmMM_XTzcX5K1eyQ-rMOOam=w466-h776-no

Steve

Any news on the XM availability?

Hello Paul,

We appreciate your interest in the aera 660 and understand that some are waiting for this capability to be available before switching from an older unit that already provides satellite music and weather. We don't generally, however, make public progress reports on products in development.

We can say that the solution that we are developing will be an option that is available to all existing aera 660 units without any hardware changes to the base aera 660 unit. When this new SXM music and weather receiver product becomes available, a new aera 660 software update will give all new and existing units the ability to interface with this new product and receive satellite music and weather (with a SXM subscription).

More details on the new receiver product will only be available when it is announced.

With previous products like the aera 795/796 and GPSMAP 695/696, only the 696/796 models had the hardware interface required to work with the external satellite receiver, but with the aera 660 there is only this one powerful model that provides the customer with flexibility on choosing an external ADS-B and/or satellite music and weather receiver.

Hope this helps,
Steve

I like the AGL update. Kind of like have a radar altimeter in low visibility situation. Is it available with a non- 3D GDL 39? Very cool. Keep those improvements coming. Can't wait until the 896 comes out with all these new features.;)

Hello Paul,

We appreciate your interest in the aera 660 and understand that some are waiting for this capability to be available before switching from an older unit that already provides satellite music and weather. We don't generally, however, make public progress reports on products in development.

We can say that the solution that we are developing will be an option that is available to all existing aera 660 units without any hardware changes to the base aera 660 unit. When this new SXM music and weather receiver product becomes available, a new aera 660 software update will give all new and existing units the ability to interface with this new product and receive satellite music and weather (with a SXM subscription).

More details on the new receiver product will only be available when it is announced.

With previous products like the aera 795/796 and GPSMAP 695/696, only the 696/796 models had the hardware interface required to work with the external satellite receiver, but with the aera 660 there is only this one powerful model that provides the customer with flexibility on choosing an external ADS-B and/or satellite music and weather receiver.

Hope this helps,
Steve

That's good to know Steve. I should then jump right out and buy one!!! I was afraid it would be like the AERA and take a whole different unit.

I like the AGL update. Kind of like have a radar altimeter in low visibility situation. Is it available with a non- 3D GDL 39? Very cool. Keep those improvements coming. Can't wait until the 896 comes out with all these new features.;)

Hello John,

The AGL feature doesn't require data from a GDL 39 or a GDL 39 3D. The images above are taken from an aera 660 operating by itself.

Steve

It would be very nice to add the AGL altitude to one of the corners on the moving map! Thanks

It would be very nice to add the AGL altitude to one of the corners on the moving map! Thanks

Hello John,

It is already available there as mentioned in my posting above.

The changes are mostly behind-the-scene improvements, but the unit is now able to calculate an above ground (AGL) altitude and optionally show this on the main map in a user configurable field and on the 3D Vision page at the bottom of the altitude tape.

Thanks,
Steve

The changes are mostly behind-the-scene improvements, but the unit is now able to calculate an above ground (AGL) altitude and optionally show this on the main map in a user configurable field and on the 3D Vision page at the bottom of the altitude tape./QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct! I am Garmin impaired.;) I found it thanks.

Last edited:
Can you add an extra data field to the map display beyond 4? If not please consider adding that capability in a future software upgrade. Thanks again:D

Question:
Every time I power up my 660 it does not reconnect to the GDL 39 3D over Bluetooth. I have to go into tools--->bluetooth settings and click on the GDL. Then it reconnects. My 660 is hardwired to power with the bare end cable. The GDL is running on the rechargeable battery (I plan to hardwire it soon). I always power up the GDL first and wait for a green light then power the 660. How do I get them to reconnect with each other?

*SOLVED SEE LATER POST BELOW* I still can't seem to get the GDL 39 3D to send AHRS data via the factory GDL aera 660 combination cable. It only shares attitude via Bluetooth. I do have the latest software (download directly to the aera over wifi 2 days ago). *SOLVED BY ENSURING GOOD GPS LOCK OUTSIDE THE HANGAR*

Also, the optional $60 GDL/aera cable has come apart at the Y (where the audio input is). The cable connecting the Y to the GDL and the cable connecting the Y to the aera have pulled out of the Y with the simplest of use. Really. Only 2 flights. The strain relief is non-existent and trying to shove the cable insulation back into the molded Y housing is futile. So now each cable is hanging by the wires only just waiting to get yanked out. Look at the the Y and you will not see any strain relief and a terrible stress concentration where the cables ente it.

Looks like a rush job where the Garmin bean counters called the shots rather than the product engineers being give a chance to design it right from the get go.

On the bright side the combo cable is about the same price as each individual bare wire kit for each component stand alone. So for half the price of separate bare wire/data cable one could by one combination cable and cut out the Y yielding two separate component bare wire cables minus fuse holders. Cuse holders can be added for cheap.

Make one crappy cable and I shall turn it in to two useful ones while cutting my outlay for Garmin accessory cables by 2.

Jim

Last edited:
Question:
Every time I power up my 660 it does not reconnect to the GDL 39 3D over Bluetooth. I have to go into tools--->bluetooth settings and click on the GDL. Then it reconnects. My 660 is hardwired to power with the bare end cable. The GDL is running on the rechargeable battery (I plan to hardwire it soon). I always power up the GDL first and wait for a green light then power the 660. How do I get them to reconnect with each other?

Hello Nippaero,

Page 29 of the Rev. B aera 660 Pilot's Guide explains that you may select Menu, Manage Paired Devices on the Bluetooth setup page and enable/disable Automatic Reconnect for any paired device.

Thanks,
Steve

Jliltd,

That's certainly one way of saving some cash. I bought the bare wire cable for my 660 before I got my hands on a GDL-39 3D. Had I known I was getting one I may have done that also.

I did however make my own GDL-39 hardwire cable. I bought the connector and added my own wires and hardwired the 660 and the GDL together and they are powered by the same circuit breaker, no inline fuse needed. Works great and costs me about $8 in parts and wire.

Shawn

Hello Nippaero,

Page 29 of the Rev. B aera 660 Pilot's Guide explains that you may select Menu, Manage Paired Devices on the Bluetooth setup page and enable/disable Automatic Reconnect for any paired device.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I'll check this setting and report back. Thanks!

I've also noticed a couple things since I did the latest OTA software upgrade. Every once in a while the screen cannot repaint the terrain and I either get a dark background or today I got these stripes. They last for a few minutes and then go away. Anyone else see this?

2016-10-02-10.16.40.jpg

Hi Steve,

I'll check this setting and report back. Thanks!

I've also noticed a couple things since I did the latest OTA software upgrade. Every once in a while the screen cannot repaint the terrain and I either get a dark background or today I got these stripes. They last for a few minutes and then go away. Anyone else see this?

Hello Nippaero,

As described on page 87 of the Rev. B manual, a purple area shown on the map when Nexrad is being shown is an indication of an area where this radar data has not been received.

You may turn that indication off if you like. Under Map Setup select Weather and turn Radar Coverage Off.

Thanks,
Steve

Members,
I am seriously thinking of upgrading my Aera 550, and purchasing this new Aera 660. Has anyone done the same, and can they comment on the larger screen size being big enough to notice a difference? Also I am reading some pilots are finding the 660 has a lot of screen glare similar to an I-pad?

Can anyone who has upgraded similar post any comments?
Can anyone put up a photo of the two units (Early Aera vs. new 660) side by side for comparison?

thanks,

Jeff,

I upgraded from an older 396 to the 660 and the difference is tremendous. I can't comment on the 550 but the 660 has just over 1" bigger display than your 550 which will make a difference. 3/8" taller and just over 1/2" wider. It also has many new features. I love the 660.

As for the glare, you could add an anti-glare film to it. I've noticed it to be a little bothersome but acceptable given I was using a 396.

I'm going to try this film and wanted to share it with everyone. This company makes a few types of anti-glare film and is cut to fit the Aera 660.

http://www.nushield.com/index.php

I may order both the DayVue and the Triple A to test both. At $18 and $15 respectively it's worth the test.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

I upgraded from a 550 to a 660, and have found it a big improvement. The improved screen size is helpful but the overall functionality is much better. I also use an ipad in the cockpit and find the 660 screen much easier to read because the screen is much brighter and less glaring.

Hello Nippaero,

As described on page 87 of the Rev. B manual, a purple area shown on the map when Nexrad is being shown is an indication of an area where this radar data has not been received.

You may turn that indication off if you like. Under Map Setup select Weather and turn Radar Coverage Off.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve. I check the Bluetooth reconnect setting and turned on the reconnect feature. Thanks for pointing out the Nexrad issue. I must not have noticed that prior to the upgrade so I thought there might be something wrong but turns out it is working perfectly.

I hooked up the audio out to an unswitched audio input on my audio panel. It is awesome getting the alerts for terrain and traffic in my headphones. :D

Thanks!

This is an update to my previous post (quoted below). After an unsolicited quick note from Steve, the Garmin G3xpert, I can in fact get AHRS attitude information to display through the direct wire cable between the aera 660 and the GDL 39 3D. My problem had been that when I originally tested the combination in the hangar the 660 didn't have a GPS lock. No GPS lock, no attitude information, irrespective of whether then GDL 39 3D is talking through Bluetooth or wires. Apparently the GDL AHRS requires a GPS signal to provide a reliable attitude solution and without such it refuses to give the aera a bad attitude. I flew a Super Swift on a 2 hour ferry flight Sunday and turned off the Bluetooth receiver option in the aera 660 setup in order to make sure it was exclusively talking to the GDL 3D through the optional combination power cable. It worked fine and as advertised.

My comments concerning the build quality of the aera/GDL combo power cable still stand. The individual cables going to each accessory have come completely apart at the Y split/audio interface and are dangling by the internal signal wires at that point. And I am very careful with my equipment. I will take photos later.

If the Garmin aera "cable" team is listening.... Strain relief. Strain relief. Stress concentration. Stress concentration. How about we mold in or glue the cable jackets into the splitter. The cable/splitter interface has, by it's very geometry, a huge change in cross-sectional area and moment of inertia between two materials of very different elasticity, at a single point. The cables here very much need strain relief to smoothly transition normal bending loads. The reliefs can also add the missing tensile strength to keep things from coming apart. Meanwhile I will provide my own fix by globbing some Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker around the cable/splitter interface and smoothly tapering it down the cable. That is what's known as a "strain relief" for any Garmin aera "cable" guys out there.

Meanwhile thanks to Steve at Garmin Team X again. He sought me out directly and his hint about testing the interface under GPS lock was the ticket. And I know the cable design issue is a problem for the aera portables department and not directly reflective of Team X. But from a customer prospective Garmin is Garmin.

Jim

P.S. I am going to Florida tomorrow to ferry a newly completed aircraft back to Texas for a friend. It has a new Skyview panel but I will have my aera 660 / GDL 39 3D combination on the quick draw.

I still can't seem to get the GDL 39 3D to send AHRS data via the factory GDL aera 660 combination cable. It only shares attitude via Bluetooth. I do have the latest software (download directly to the aera over wifi 2 days ago).

Also, the optional $60 GDL/aera cable has come apart at the Y (where the audio input is). The cable connecting the Y to the GDL and the cable connecting the Y to the aera have pulled out of the Y with the simplest of use. Really. Only 2 flights. The strain relief is non-existent and trying to shove the cable insulation back into the molded Y housing is futile. So now each cable is hanging by the wires only just waiting to get yanked out. Look at the the Y and you will not see any strain relief and a terrible stress concentration where the cables enter it

Last edited:
Here are some aera 660 / GDL optional combo accessory wired cord photos showing the lack of strain relief at the Y.

I have two. Here is what the Audio/cable Y looks like out of the box:
New.jpg

And here is what the same thing looks like after a couple of flights:
No%20Strain.jpg

And here is what I am using to fix it by adding a much needed strain relief:
Right%20Stuff.jpg

Here is the first broken one all globbed up with Right Stuff:
repair.jpg

I went ahead and reinforced the new unused combo cord with some Right Stuff right out of the box in an effort to be pro-active about the problem.

Jim

XM for the 660??

Steve, (or anyone on the G3Xpert team)....can you give us even a small hint as to when the 660 will have XM music and weathered capabilities? I'm ready to do the 345/660 upgrade to my panel, but I really hate to remove my 496 just yet and lose my XM.

Thanks,
Mark

Here are some aera 660 / GDL optional combo accessory wired cord photos showing the lack of strain relief at the Y.

Here is the first broken one all globbed up with Right Stuff:
repair.jpg

I went ahead and reinforced the new unused combo cord with some Right Stuff right out of the box in an effort to be pro-active about the problem.

Jim

I would suggest using sugru for this fix / proactive measure. I've used it for cable repairs and the stuff is magic.

https://sugru.com/

sugru-packshot-af3c8a2975e2cd445ad234c0db769cad43e176eab7f16103e75b80d25d39bbda.png

six9_600_flexible.jpg

I believe Steve previously indicated that the mounting pattern for the Aera 500 series was the same dimensions as the Aera 660 (but pinouts wouldn't match).

If that's the case, this RAM mount [RAM] [Aircraft Spruce] should bolt directly to the hole pattern on the bare wire mount. It uses a 1" ball, so any of the RAM 1" ball hardware should work to take it from there to your panel.
RAM-B-347UIU2.jpg

Does anyone know what bolt sizes are needed ? I already have the RAM ball mount from a Aera 500 and was going to swap the 660 mount from the stock yoke mount on to the square RAM mount. Last time I tried this the RAM bolts supplied are too big to fit through the Garmin mounts in the Aera connector. I'm in Australia and will have to order the bolts / hardware online.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what bolt sizes are needed ? I already have the RAM ball mount from a Aera 500 and was going to swap the 660 mount from the stock yoke mount on to the square RAM mount. Last time I tried this the RAM bolts supplied are too big to fit through the Garmin mounts in the Aera connector. I'm in Australia and will have to order the bolts / hardware online.

Hello,

We normally use 1 inch stainless steel #6-32 screws with washers and nylon insert nuts to attach a ball mount to the aera 660 mount.

Thanks,
Steve

Flightplan via WiFi or Bluetooth from other Devices?

Is it possible to send Flightplans Files *.fpl from other Sources (not Garmin) to the Area 660 via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Markus

Hello, May I please ask some questions,

Questions:
1. How does the "data pass through" actually function on the GDL39. I am asssuming that because the older Aera/GPSMap units only have one serial channel it allowed one to receive both Aviation data as well as ADS-B data through one set of wires?

2. Can the Aera 660 update the GDL39 software/firmware through Bluetooth or does a cable need to be connected?

3. Would Garmin ever condiser a "multiple subscription discount" for folks like me who buy updates for a GTN650, Garmin Pilot APP as well as my new Aera 660 ? One of the biggest complaints I hear is the subscription costs, especially for owners of multiple products used in only one aircraft.

Thank you for ALL the support on the Vans Air Force Forums. You have been a wonderful and great help to us all.

Is it possible to send Flightplans Files *.fpl from other Sources (not Garmin) to the Area 660 via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Markus

Hello Markus,

We are not aware of non-Garmin sources that wirelessly connect to the Aera 660 like Garmin Pilot and the FlightStream 210 to transfer flight plans.

We think there are some 3rd part flight planning applications that can create .fpl files that can be imported into the Aera 660 using the SD card.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Jeff,

1. How does the "data pass through" actually function on the GDL39. I am asssuming that because the older Aera/GPSMap units only have one serial channel it allowed one to receive both Aviation data as well as ADS-B data through one set of wires?

The GDL39 has two serial ports, and the second serial port is currently only used to support a second serial connection for single serial port portables like the Aera 5XX and GPSMAP 695/696. This allows those portables to continue to drive external devices and receive data from external devices even when the only serial port is connected to a GDL39. The Aera 660 and Aera 795/796 have dual serial ports and do not use the second serial port on the GDL39.

2. Can the Aera 660 update the GDL39 software/firmware through Bluetooth or does a cable need to be connected?

The Bluetooth link may be used for this if you wish. This is done automatically, just like the serial link.

3. Would Garmin ever consider a "multiple subscription discount" for folks like me who buy updates for a GTN650, Garmin Pilot APP as well as my new Aera 660 ? One of the biggest complaints I hear is the subscription costs, especially for owners of multiple products used in only one aircraft.

Good question. As you know we have made significant improvements in subscription costs for many products over the last few years and even reduced the cost of the navigation database for your GTN 650 with the new Garmin navigation database. The One Pak subscription is our first attempt at providing one subscription that covers everything in the aircraft including one portable device, but that still isn't an attractive option for those with just the equipment you mention. We will continue to look for more attractive ways to provide data to those with multiple Garmin devices.

Thank you for ALL the support on the Vans Air Force Forums. You have been a wonderful and great help to us all.

Thank you for your kind words,

Steve

Back