What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 vs GPS175 + GNC255a

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hi
I am trying to figure out why would I prefer a GTN650 @ 12500$ vs GPS175 + GNC255a @ 9500$ (discounts apply to both). other than panel size?
is the MFD functionality of the GTN all that differs?
As I intend to install G3x Touch, the MFD functionality of the GTN is kind of redundant for me

Alternatively,
GNX375 + GNC255a, at the same price of GTN650, and your get a "free" transponder

What am i missing here?

Last edited:
And if you do the GNX375, not only is the transponder "free", it also has ADS-b in AND out, and Connext too.

Either route presents excellent options for IFR flying:

If you are primarily concerned with Multifunction Display features (Traffic, Weather, Flight Plan Navigation, etc), and want a basic IFR navigator for LPV WAAS approaches, the GNX 375/GPS 175 is a great choice paired with the G3X Touch. The G3X will provide the larger data display with its standard PFD/MFD split screen capability. Both the GNX/GPS and G3X have built in bluetooth Connext, for wireless flight plan transfer and data sharing with a mobile device, such as a tablet running Garmin Pilot.

For a complete integrated Nav/Com + IFR GPS solution the GTN 650 will be a better option, especially if you are navigating more complex IFR flight plans and using advanced features such as enroute VNAV. Keep in mind all navigation waypoints will be displayed on the G3X touch, but all flight plan editing for IFR functions will be done on the certified GPS navigator. This is where the larger screen of the GTN series navigators will be beneficial.

Frequent IFR flyers tend to prefer the GTN series, where the occasional IFR flyer who mostly desires to legally get through a cloud layer or get out of an airport on an IFR departure do have a more economical option with the 2" navigator series.

Best Regards,

Brad

Last edited:
Back