What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 New vs Overhauled

DarinFred

Hi all, I?ve searched and read a few posts about deciding on a new engine vs one that is overhauled, but they are dated. I?m looking to get current opinions.

I?m building a Rocket and will need an engine about a year. I?m pretty much decided on an IO-540D with electronic ignition and injection, 9.5 or 10:1 compression, and Maxi Sump. I?m looking for 300+ hp. I?ve decided against the IO-550 due to aerobatic limitations. The goal of this build is a fun, fast airplane that I can toss around.

I?ve been on the lookout for cores, looked into the Thuderbolt line, etc, but I think the decision is going to come down to an overhauled engine from Lycon or Barrett for a lot of money or a new build from Aero Sport Power for a little more. While money is somewhat a consideration, I?m also considering resale value if I move on to something else in the future. What are your opinions on the matter at hand? Thanks for your time!

Jay

Jay, PM me and I will give you a ride in my Rocket. It currently has 260HP but we are getting ready to upgrade to 300. You could fly it before and after to see the change.
George
Located at 14A

Unless you go pretty far into the custom engine world, the options out there tend to be within 5-10% from a price perspective. So buy the one you're comfortable with. I went with Barrett because I drank a beer or two at Oshkosh with Rhonda and have the impression that I'll get good service from them over the life of the engine.

Last edited:
My 337 hour (since new) 260 HP 540-D4A5 made 331HP on the dyno after a Ly-Con rebuild last week. SDS EFI and Ly-Cons CNC porting are the only changes to the engine. Take it for what it's worth.

Most engines are good for multiple rebuilds, they don't know they have run before as all the giblets are new inside !

You also have the ability to pick a rebuilder with a reputation for care and excellence. I am not saying that a brand new Lycoming isn't good, but one that has been carefully put together for you can be better.

What RPM ? ? ?

My 337 hour (since new) 260 HP 540-D4A5 made 331HP on the dyno after a Ly-Con rebuild last week. SDS EFI and Ly-Cons CNC porting are the only changes to the engine. Take it for what it's worth.

HP is most directly related to RPM and CR in any given constant displacement.

I am really curious what RPM that 331 HP indication was recorded at.

The porting clearly allows for more flow. What oil sump and induction? (Does the air go through a Lycoming oil sump or is it a hang below, space robbing, cold air induction? )

Missing several variables here. VE and air flow have a lot to do with total power output, amongst other variables. It is not just RPM and CR.

I am really curious what RPM that 331 HP indication was recorded at.

The porting clearly allows for more flow. What oil sump and induction? (Does the air go through a Lycoming oil sump or is it a hang below, space robbing, cold air induction? )

This 331 (641 Lb/ft) figure was recorded at the 76 second mark on pull #14. RPM is shown as 2714, FF = 24.3, MP = 29.49.

Induction system is stock updraft with a 1.25 inch spacer/adapter and a SDS 80mm TB.

Quite a thread drift here, but going back to the OP's question about overhaul vs brand new engine: If resale value is part of your decision I would definitely go with brand new. Its not a rational thought to think brand new will be any better that an overhaul/build, but there can be some stigma attached to that among some potential buyers as apposed to a brand new engine, and you will want the largest audience of potential buyers when it comes time to sell. That can mean more $$ on resale. When I sold my RV-10 with a low hour rebuild engine, one looker wanted to low ball offer enough for him to have the engine pulled out and replaced with a brand new one. Haha! :rolleyes:

How does cost compare to the Van's price for a new engine?
I am not concerned about resale. If I don't go new I'll probably have some other things done to the motor.

Quite a thread drift here, but going back to the OP's question about overhaul vs brand new engine: If resale value is part of your decision I would definitely go with brand new. Its not a rational thought to think brand new will be any better that an overhaul/build, but there can be some stigma attached to that among some potential buyers as opposed to a brand new engine, and you will want the largest audience of potential buyers when it comes time to sell. That can mean more $$ on resale. When I sold my RV-10 with a low hour rebuild engine, one looker wanted to low ball offer enough for him to have the engine pulled out and replaced with a brand new one. Haha! :rolleyes:

The story remains the same....

You get some demic who doesn't understand that most rental and pre owned aeroplanes have engines on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th life.

These are mine pump engines - they are designed to go on and on, like the Duracell Bunny !

If you want to add to the resale value, you use charm, guile and snake oil.

This darned motor was designed, blueprinted, weighed, balanced, polished, assembled by a time served craftsman who learned at the heels of Mr Lycoming Jnr.

Come on - sell it !!

Buy used.

Support the motor builders :D

I took post 4 as the rebuilds were within 5-10% of other rebuilds, didn't realize it was new versus rebuilt, thanks for the clarification.

You're right. Post 4 didn't specifically mention new. But the new price from Van's when I bought my Barrett was right at the Barrett price and a new engine from Titan was a few thousand lower. Like I said, figure out who you're comfortable with, write the check, and don't look back.

One thing i will add is that if you buy your engine from Van's, it may integrate a little more easily with their FWF kit than a 3rd party engine, just because the FWF kit is specifically designed for that engine.

Back