What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another *&$#! Inherited isssue

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Building some Rocket wings from a set of RV4 wings. Feel like I?ve been working backwards for months from fixing issues. Now a new one. The bottom skins (OB/IB) are overlapped backwards; thick IB over the thin OB. May have been intentional looking at how the joint was primed. Getting ready to close the top and figured I?d do it per drawing but the previous builder had notched the lap joint backwards at the overhang/flap intersection. I didn?t notice until dimpling tonight.

What would you do?
- A backwards lap joint (IB over OB) like the bottom (I?d seal the lap, of course)
- Remake the OB skin and fab like the drawing?

Structural integrity isn?t affected or there would be no question. My frustration is sky high because I thought I was within days of closing out wings.

Again, what would you do? Thanks.

I would leave as is.
The primary reasons for outboard on top is to have a thinner skin on the outside for a bit better appearance and to position the skin lap so that water flowing down the dihedral slope won?t flow into any gap present.

Back