VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Default No Auto Transmit on MT8000FA

Hope someone can help me. I cannot get the my tracker to auto transmit. It sends out a good signal at power up, but that's all. I have the configuration set like Sam suggests. What else can I do?
Track Me
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Default Wont send more than one packet?

You probably have it set for Smart Beaconing with a slow position report rate. If the green LED is on, you have good GPS data to the Micro-Trak, if not you have other issues. I suggest programming a fixed transmission period in the second page of configuration so that you can test the unit without having to fly in circles to generate velocity and angular change. Send me a screen print of your Config screen and lets see if anything jumps out.

Allen
VHS

Vhsproducts@aol.com
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS View Post
Send me a screen print of your Config screen and lets see if anything jumps out.

Allen
VHS

Vhsproducts@aol.com
Please tell me how to send a screen print.
Track Me
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Default Screen Print

If you have Windows, open your configuration screen, and read whatever is on the chip to the config program. Hit the "print Screen" button on the upper right hand side of your key board, this will copy the whole screen to the clip board. Open a new document in your word processor, and and paste the image to the Word Doc. Send me the Word Doc as an attachment.

Best regards,

Allen
Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Default MTAIO Tracker Config: Smart Beaconing

Sam and other folks in-the-know,
I've got my Byonics MT-AIO running pretty well. I have flown it and found I must "power on" the GPS 10 seconds prior to the Tx to get accurate "speed" values when SmartBeaconing is OFF. But now I'm experimenting with SmartBeaconing enabled. It works, but I'd sure like a better understanding of the SB parameters. I've read your original post and have my parameters set like you suggested, but I still want to know what they mean. Here is my guess. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

If SmartBeaconing is selected, I believe the Tx rate is selected by
Timing: "Auto Transmit Rate"
UNLESS
If my speed is LESS than the "Slow Speed", then Tx rate is "Slow Rate".
If my speed is equal to or more than the "Fast Speed", then the Tx rate is the "Fast Rate".

I assume if I exceed "Min Turn Angle" in the "Min Turn Time", the tracker will transmit another point. But can you explain "Turn Slope"?

Of course I may have all of the above completely wrong!! If so, I'd sure like to know the correct meaning of the parameters.

Thanks for all the help. This is a blast!!
AF6QO
KLVK Livermore, Calif.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer46 View Post
Sam and other folks in-the-know,
I've got my Byonics MT-AIO running pretty well. I have flown it and found I must "power on" the GPS 10 seconds prior to the Tx to get accurate "speed" values when SmartBeaconing is OFF. But now I'm experimenting with SmartBeaconing enabled. It works, but I'd sure like a better understanding of the SB parameters. I've read your original post and have my parameters set like you suggested, but I still want to know what they mean. Here is my guess. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

If SmartBeaconing is selected, I believe the Tx rate is selected by
Timing: "Auto Transmit Rate"
UNLESS
If my speed is LESS than the "Slow Speed", then Tx rate is "Slow Rate".
If my speed is equal to or more than the "Fast Speed", then the Tx rate is the "Fast Rate".

I assume if I exceed "Min Turn Angle" in the "Min Turn Time", the tracker will transmit another point. But can you explain "Turn Slope"?

Of course I may have all of the above completely wrong!! If so, I'd sure like to know the correct meaning of the parameters.

Thanks for all the help. This is a blast!!
AF6QO
John,

I think you have SmartBeaconing pretty much nailed. I have seen an explanation or two of "turn slope" but still don't understand it enough to offer any insight.

I just use a setting that works and don't worry about why it works.

Glad you are enjoying your tracker!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
John,

I think you have SmartBeaconing pretty much nailed. I have seen an explanation or two of "turn slope" but still don't understand it enough to offer any insight.

I just use a setting that works and don't worry about why it works.

Glad you are enjoying your tracker!
Sam,
Thanks for the confirmation. The word "slope" immediately brought to mind the possibility of using the altitude rate-of-change to alter the Tx rate. But since it is "Turn Slope" I'm confused.

OK, I'll just use it and enjoy it.

Thanks for all your posts in initially sparking my interest in APRS, and all the help getting it operating from Byon and Allen.
Best Regards to all,
AF6QO
KLVK Livermore, Calif.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Sam,
Thanks for the confirmation. The word "slope" immediately brought to mind the possibility of using the altitude rate-of-change to alter the Tx rate. But since it is "Turn Slope" I'm confused.

OK, I'll just use it and enjoy it.

Thanks for all your posts in initially sparking my interest in APRS, and all the help getting it operating from Byon and Allen.
Best Regards to all,
AF6QO
I did a little more Googling.... and found this:
"Turn Slope = Number when divided by current speed creates an angle that is added to Min Turn Angle to trigger a beacon."
At Paul VA3PC's web site:
http://www.ciinet.org/paul/aprs.html

Regards,
AF6QO
KLVK Livermore, Calif.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
I did a little more Googling.... and found this:
"Turn Slope = Number when divided by current speed creates an angle that is added to Min Turn Angle to trigger a beacon."
At Paul VA3PC's web site:
http://www.ciinet.org/paul/aprs.html

Regards,
AF6QO
John,

Ah...now I know what turn slope is.........I think..............

The link you referenced had some good info, among it the recommended dash numbers to use if the FCC callsign is used as the primary ID:

-0 Home Station, Home Station running IGate
-1, 2, 3, 4 are for digipeaters and other home stations
-4 is for HF to VHF Gateway
-5 IGate (Not home station)
-6 is for Operations via Satellite
-7 is for TH-D7 walkie talkies
-8 is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)
-9 is for Mobiles
-10 is for operation via the internet only
-11 is for APRS touch-tone users (and the occasional Balloons)
-12 Portable Units such as Laptops, Camp Sites etc
-14 is for Truckers
-15 is for HF

Guess aviation would be -9, unless you are Pete Howell who probably needs to use all the dashes!

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Default 5 second "Min Turn Time" is too short

To start, I wish to thank Sam for showing me APRS, so I have something to do while I wait for the economy to turn around and I can afford to buy my RV12 empennage. I have been lurking here for several years, and I hate that my first post is one contradicting one of the great ones at VAF.

After experimenting with APRS for 10 months, I feel that the suggested smart beacon settings are a bit too aggressive if not downright abusive.

Here are the suggested settings for "Smart Beaconing":

The "Min Turn Time" is the number of seconds that must pass before retransmitting while turning.

Consider this "anonymous" APRS airplane track:

There are 10 positions transmitted over a 40 second period. The tracker was correctly configured with a WIDE2-1 single hop path. All 10 packets were picked up directly by Igates, but that doesn't mean that the packet didn't get digipeated. In fact, there are at least 5 digipeaters within 30 miles of this location. At 1000 feet AGL, it is likely that all 5 digipeaters heard the packets. With a WIDE2-1 path every digipeater would retransmit the packet exactly once. Those 10 packets got turned into 50 packets that effectively shut down all APRS activity within range of those digipeaters.

I suggest that the "Min Turn Time" be set to no faster than 15 seconds when in an area of low to medium APRS traffic. In high traffic areas, we should not be be transmitting any faster than 30 seconds when in a turn, and probably no faster than every 90 to 180 seconds when in a straight line. If you are in an area with good igate coverage, consider using NO path when at high altitude.

With a 15 or 30 second "Min Turn Time", you won't be able to draw perfect circles any more, but you will be making much better use of a limited resource.

I know from experience how fun it is to go home and look at your track and see your every move recorded by the magic of APRS. Let's use this resource wisely and be good APRS citizens. If we aren't careful, we may find that airborne APRS users will develop a bad reputation.

--
Martin
ki6wjp