VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 PM
krw5927 krw5927 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,803
Default APRS obsolete with ADS-B?

With the proliferation of ADS-B based flight trackers like flightradar24, is there still a benefit to using an APRS tracker if your aircraft is ADS-B out equipped?

I'm thinking that now that my aircraft has ADS-B out, there doesn't seem much point in doubling up on tracking technology. I can remove the APRS and lose a few ounces of weight.

Thoughts?
__________________
Kurt W.
RV9A
FLYING!!!

Last edited by krw5927 : 02-08-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
hall monitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 3,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
With the proliferation of ADS-B based flight trackers like flightradar24, is there still a benefit to using an APRS tracker if your aircraft is ADS-B out equipped?

I'm thinking that now that my aircraft has ADS-B out, there doesn't seem much point in doubling up on tracking technology. I can remove the ADS-B and lose a few ounces of weight.

Thoughts?
That is an excellent question, and one on which I need some education. Is there an internet site that provides subscription-free display of the ADS-B track? And if so, at what resolution?
__________________
Sam Buchanan
1999 RV-6
1918 Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
krw5927 krw5927 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,803
Default

I haven't searched exhaustively, Sam, but Flightradar24.com does not require a subscription. It's more suited to tracking flights that are actually in the air at the given moment, but you can search by tail number and find past tracks as well using the "advanced search" feature. I'm unsure how long this particular system saves tracks (edit: 7 days for the free version, 30 days for the subscription account.)

The resolution seems to be far better than APRS. If I show the graph of my past flights, there appear to be 5-6 data points per minute (sometimes more).

Certainly more sites like this will be popping up as 2020 nears.
__________________
Kurt W.
RV9A
FLYING!!!

Last edited by krw5927 : 02-08-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
hall monitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 3,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
I haven't searched exhaustively, Sam, but Flightradar24.com does not require a subscription. It's more suited to tracking flights that are actually in the air at the given moment, but you can search by tail number and find past tracks as well using the "advanced search" feature. I'm unsure how long this particular system saves tracks (edit: 7 days for the free version, 30 days for the subscription account.)

The resolution seems to be far better than ADS-B. If I show the graph of my past flights, there appear to be 5-6 data points per minute (sometimes more).

Certainly more sites like this will be popping up as 2020 nears.
This is for a flight not on an IFR flight plan or using flight following?

By the way, I think you are typing "ADS-B" when you mean "APRS".
__________________
Sam Buchanan
1999 RV-6
1918 Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
krw5927 krw5927 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
This is for a flight not on an IFR flight plan or using flight following?

By the way, I think you are typing "ADS-B" when you mean "APRS".
You're right, Sam. I corrected my posts above.

Yes, this is for all flights transmitting ADS-B out (maybe it only works for 1090 out, not sure), regardless of flight following or IFR.

For example, see the link below (Feb. 5 flight). I was flying around with a friend, shooting some practice approaches. No flight following, no flight plan, nothing.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/ai...425kw/#8bcdd3f

Compare with the APRS track:
http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=N425KW

(Note, these links will only be relevant and valid for a couple more days.)
__________________
Kurt W.
RV9A
FLYING!!!

Last edited by krw5927 : 02-08-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:53 PM
WA85 WA85 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 117
Default

Sam,

I looked of my flight Saturday up to BGF in my 8 and it shows my flight to and from BGF via my ADSB out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
hall monitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 3,696
Default

Good info, thanks.

ADS-B will be a game-changer in many ways.....we need to be on our best behavior.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
1999 RV-6
1918 Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
PaigeHoffart PaigeHoffart is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 374
Default Messaging

APRS can also be used to send messages. Email gateways are available. Checkout "APRS Droid"


Paige
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Dan Langhout's Avatar
Dan Langhout Dan Langhout is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL USA
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA85 View Post
Sam,

I looked of my flight Saturday up to BGF in my 8 and it shows my flight to and from BGF via my ADSB out.
Looks like your 9A flight with Jamie is on there too.
__________________
Dan Langhout
2018 =VAF= Dues PAID . . . . .
RV-7 N528DP slow build
First Flight July 26th, 2014
324 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
jlisler jlisler is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Donalsonville, GA.
Posts: 102
Default

Am I the only one that has a problem with someone watching my every move? I guess the State Police will put GPS trackers on my car next
__________________
Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV4 N455J
1949 C140A N9641A
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.