Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > APRS Tracking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM

OK found some answers online:

RG58 (outdoor) coax (50 ohm)

J-pole works good. Some inexpensive ones on ebay see

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Meter-VHF-...#ht_3566wt_917

Or make your own. Lots of info online.

Still not sure about connectors. Are these sold seperately or is there an outdoor coax that comes pre-connectorized on say a 50 foot cable?

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 11-02-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2013, 06:35 PM

Glen,

Sent you a PM

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Bevan,

I ordered a coax cable with the connectors pre-installed.

I determined where my radio would be and where my outdoor antenna would be and then measured the coax run between the two - added enough extra for a three turn choke-balun. (The balun is probably not needed but I did it for good measure.)

I went on line and ordered the next size up cable with connectors already installed. Since the copper pipe j-pole I ordered had a PL-259 on it, it was easiest to find a coax pre-configured with PL-259 on each end.

Continuing my propensity for over-kill, my coax is LMR-400. I would not suggest others use such precise coax unless you are running a really long distance. For a short run of 25' or so, RG58A/U is fine. Next comes RG58X, then LMR400 and RG8U.

Last edited by humptybump : 11-03-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM

The next batch of iGates are about to hatch. Looks like it will be a good litter ...
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
The next batch of iGates are about to hatch. Looks like it will be a good litter ...
This is the best integrated iGate rig I've seen, and the price is remarkable.

No excuses now for anyone wanting to set up an iGate. Well done!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Default the "iGate Factory"

I originally was thinking this should be "iGates-R-Us" but then decided, while these look like toys, they are much better.

A new batch of BAOFENG radios arrived from China. They are not quite the same as the first radio so I will test and tune the iGates accordingly.

The price difference in components for the next to iGates were the same as the first so $110+shipping. (or shipping and lunch are free if you pick it up) ! If you already have a receiver solution, the pre-built laptop units cost $55+shipping.

These will be the last iGates I build until they get gobbled up. In the interim, I will be testing one of these as bidirectional iGate / digipeater.

I think Pete Howell's kids should start making copper j-pole antennas to go with these !

Last edited by humptybump : 11-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Okay, still not sure if I am in an iGate hole, but who cares, more the merrier and all that. Sign me up for one of those units, I have seen the DIY J-pole plans and will put my experimental efforts towards that instead. A Salmon Farm visit is in my near future!
RV-6A bought flying
Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 PM

OK, so that last batch was "gobbled" pretty quickly! Two desperate voids in the APRS continuum snatched up the systems I just finished. Tracker pilots - you can expect a couple new iGates online in the very near future in areas that will really benefit.

I am already tracking down XO-1's to build a couple more iGates. It should not take more than a week or two to find what I need but I've been hoovering these units off of eBay and it may take a couple attempts to get these at the price point we need.

Mike - you are welcome here on the farm anytime (including this Saturday's Lunch fly-in). IF you are flying the Arrow, land at KMFV and we'll shuttle you the couple miles to the farm. I've flown an Arrow and they are no rocket off of grass :-) As for an iGate, you are correct "the more the merrier".

Last edited by humptybump : 11-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Mike - you are welcome here on the farm anytime (including this Saturday's Lunch fly-in). IF you are flying the Arrow, land at KMFV and we'll shuttle you the couple miles to the farm. I've flown an Arrow and they are no rocket off of grass :-)

As for an iGate, you are correct "the more the merrier". That said, two desperate voids in the APRS continuum snatched up the systems I just finished.

Tracker pilots - you can expect a couple new iGates online in the very near future in areas that will really benefit.

I am already tracking down XO-1's to build a couple more iGates. It should not take more than a week or two to find what I need but I've been hoovering these units off of eBay and it may take a couple attempts to get these at the price point we need.
Is the Raspberry a good alternative at a similar price point if the laptop supply dries up? I know there is already a thread about the Raspberry, just didn't know how it would compare with the laptops.

I've been using a Raspberry for a media hub running Raspbmc....it's pretty cool.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 AM

The Raspberry Pi will do most of the same work as an XO-1. It will be a bit more money since it will need a case, networking interface, and power supply.

It will also require more Linux expertise than these XO-1 laptop based iGates - mostly because the XO-1's have a full GUI interface on top of the Linux.

Update: I've tracked down one more XO-1 - it was $6 more than I've been able to get them for but still not bad.

Last edited by humptybump : 11-14-2013 at 12:17 PM.