What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor misaligned with Flap arm weldment

John Tipton

I'm New Here
Hi Guys

Anyone had a problem when finally attaching the Flap motor pushrod with the Flap arm actuator weldment (WD-613-EF), that the two are not properly aligned, and is binding on one flange.

I can't see any other way but to order a replacement F-766A and move the F-766B position over to the left, to allow the Flap motor mounting to move across, thus allowing a clearance fit.

John

This is an ancient problem carried forward from manual flap days. Van's hasn't repositioned the flap actuator arm to align the arm with the now off center electric motor pushrod. They expect there's enough slack and strength in the assembled parts to withstand twisting the motor mount and the clevis end as the actuator moves up and down.

That sucks, IMHO.

I offset the pushrod bearing outside the arm's clevis and put a bushing in the clevis with a sufficiently long bolt clamping the works. Pay attention to clearances as the mechanism moves through its range of motion. The undesirable outcome is that the arm clevis now must endure a twisting torque since force is applied outside the clevis. But so far, so good, on five RV-7s.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

John Siebold

Simple enough to drill off the F-776B and re-position it for better flap motor alignment. Drill new mounting rivet holes & fill the old ones so it looks like it was meant to be!

Back