What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV- 7A Pitot Static system Installation Drawing

cook_ts

I am wanting to preview the Pitot Static system installation. Can someone share the Van's drawing associated with this kit?

Get it from Vans for best accuracy.

Tim, you might want to call Vans, they surely have an updated drawing by now. I had a hand drawn one that came with the rivets and locations on the RV7 drawing too, but they showed different locations on the fuse.

I suggest you use the new static button from Vans with the barb on the inside rather than alternatives. ASI test accuracy is very sensitive to the static port design and Vans is the best.

Last edited:
Tim, you might want to call Vans, they surely have an updated drawing by now. I had a hand drawn one that came with the rivets and locations on the RV7 drawing too, but they showed different locations on the fuse.

I suggest you use the new static button from Vans with the barb on the inside rather than alternatives. ASI test accuracy is very sensitive to the static port design and Vans is the best.

+1. I initially used static ports from ACS, not liking the rivet connection to the tube. This proved to be a mistake. Once I started flying my indicated AS was 10 kts high. After much experimentation I modified the ports to the rivet and now am right on when comparing with a couple other planes known to be accurate.

If I was doing it again I would use the new static ports Vans sells.

Al

Static with Safeair

I installed the Vans static port rivet with the SafeAir fitting on the inside. It allows the use of the SafeAir plumbing. The SafeAir fitting is prosealed and riveted to th skin. From the outside, it's a Vans static port rivet. On the inside, it's a SafeAir fitting. Not flying yet but several other builders said it worked perfectly.

I installed the Vans static port rivet with the SafeAir fitting on the inside. It allows the use of the SafeAir plumbing. The SafeAir fitting is prosealed and riveted to th skin. From the outside, it's a Vans static port rivet. On the inside, it's a SafeAir fitting. Not flying yet but several other builders said it worked perfectly.

FWIW Mine is within 2kts.

Static Port location

Thanks for the feedback. I like the Van's static ports, particularly since they don't require any maguchi or rivets to hold in place (though I will use a sealant). I think the plan will be to use the Dynon kit (only because I already have it) with the Van's static ports. Though I am still looking for Van's recommended port location.

Static port

The Van's construction drawing No: 28 and detail E will give you the location for the static port on the side of the fuselage.

Log in to the Van's web site and bring up the page for the Static Port kits and they will show you the design of their latest kit. You will also see a drawing on that screen showing the installation design. If you order their kit it will come with a copy of that drawing included.

The key is to have your hose from the static port rising so that water will drain back out instead of clogging it.

Cheers,

pitot static instl

pilotkms- I've managed to track down a few RVer's in Chino, but apparently have not figured out how to track down everyone. Including a Tech Counselor (Gary Sobek had supported early on- He has since move on. Looking to engage Freddie Laforge). Reco?

griffg- I did finally find the port location on dwg 28, thankyou for that.
'The key is to have your hose from the static port rising so that water will drain back out instead of clogging it.'. Great advice, thankyou!

I have had a Dynon static/pitot/AOA kit sitting on the shelf for quite some time so that's what I am currently planning on installing, though several responses seem to indicate to 'stick with the Van's kit'. Obviously the critical aspect here is the geometry of the static port. I will likely stick with Dynon to start.

Thanks all.

Yes, Gary moved to NC25. Fred LaForge is over at Cable Airport. Not sure he is still inspecting as a tech counseler. There are 6+ RVs over at Cable. Dave Prizio is a local DAR and he was at Chino when he did my inspection in 2017.
I have the Dynon system with the SafeAir ports. Works fine.

I'm also building an RV7A near Cable (though I live in Chino - long story). Fed is indeed still active, though not as much as he used to be. Send me a message with your phone number if you'd like to come see how we installed our static ports. Not flying yet, but that part is done.

I'm also building an RV7A near Cable (though I live in Chino - long story). Fed is indeed still active, though not as much as he used to be. Send me a message with your phone number if you'd like to come see how we installed our static ports. Not flying yet, but that part is done.

I sent you a PM

Back