What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp. Kit vertical Stab.

Tony M

Today I mounted vertical stabilizer. Just wondering does anyone have a small gap in center between stab and emp. tailcone? It?s is about 1/8? high and 6? along bottom. Is this normal?

That?s about twice what mine is at 1/16? or less. I figure I might be able to put rubber U channel on it, but it would be tight.

Vertical stab gap

Mine has roughly 1/16 gap all the way around the bottom edge. Too small to squeeze a rubber channel into. I would worry about vibration wearing grooves into the tailcone skin if the stab skin actually touched it.

My gap varies between 1/16th and 1/8th as well. I sealed it up with DAP 230 "Dynaflex", which is a paintable sealant. I think it looks pretty good and also reduces the air entering the tail, and possibly even reduces drag slightly.

My gap varies between 1/16th and 1/8th as well. I sealed it up with DAP 230 "Dynaflex", which is a paintable sealant. I think it looks pretty good and also reduces the air entering the tail, and possibly even reduces drag slightly.

When you sealed the gap around the vert stab, what did you do with the small removable nose piece that gives access to the VS forward attach bolts? Just not seal there?

Hey Ron...the RV-12 has many areas where ?fit & finish? has gaps and a little ruff as compared to smooth composits. If you get it too tight a seal there will be no venting for the fuel vapors etc.🤪

Wow thanks for all the replies.. I when down to Sebring LSA show to check out the one week wonder rv12 the gap in that one is exactly the same as mine.

I like the idea of sealing it with paintable DAP 230.

Back