What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A, C-GCPT, Flying Canuck

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
Hit a couple of milestones on my RV-9A project this past weekend, so time to post a few pictures.

I logged my first time on this build 3 years ago today. This past Friday afternoon, C-GCPT climbed out of my garage/workshop and onto a trailer to make the cold 18 km journey to its new airport home, meeting up with the wings that made the trip 7 months ago.

IMG_0210-medium.jpg

I managed to score a spot in a large, warm, well lit hangar at CYQF Red Deer. Here we are waiting for my piece of floor to become accessible.

IMG_0213-medium.jpg

The next day, the wings went on.

IMG_0217-medium.jpg

The fun part now is bolting those wings in. Got the bolts in fine, the nuts are not so nice. I'm not equipped with tiny hands that might make it easier. However, some time, muscle, dexterity and a lot of patience will get this job done. All I have left are the various assembly jobs, the front top skin, last pass at the cowling and a few fairings. Nice to be at a point where I can list the jobs remaining.

My request for final inspection is going out today, we're told to get that in around 3 months prior to anticipated inspection. Have to sneak in the registration process in that time.

Last edited:
just in time for spring!

Looks like you are just about there. You are going to love that plane for sure.

Go Rebels!

So are you (and your hangar mates) part of the Buffalo family, or do all Red Deer-ites do the white with green and black trim thing?

Last edited:
So are you (and your hangar mates) part of the Buffalo family, or do all Red Deer-ites do the white with green and black trim thing?

Good catch. I'm in the hangar next to Buffalo's Electra maintenance facility and am surrounded by Buffalo planes in the hangar. There are a couple of 310 birddogs that are for sale in there. The King Air behind me belongs to "Buffalo" Joe himself. I'm a big fan of the Ice Pilots series, but I'm not affiliated at all. The guy who built my engine and got me into this hangar knows Joe well and actually appears in one episode. And I honestly didn't notice how similar my paint scheme was to the Buffalo colors until I took that picture. I thought I was somewhat unique... My trim is burgundy, so that's my claim to originality.

Back