What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SeanM RV10

SeanM

I've been building my 10 for just over a month now and thought it would be good to report in.

I put caster wheels on my EAA1000 workbenches and they were a life-saver. I specifically requested delivery on a truck with a fork-lift, but somehow this was missed! The crate arrived in one piece with no damage and was nicely packed. Inventorying took me a few hours over the course of two days. I also spent a little extra time separating parts out of the brown bags and into small labeled zip-lock bags (Wifes' idea--she picked up the bags from the party store). Zip-lock bags + label maker + hardware organizer = win! I keep everything zip-locked and in their own bins so hopefully I won't ever need to play a game of 1000 rivet pickup!

Building so far has been really enjoyable and I'm glad that I took the plunge! Every evening I try to tackle a little something. I went in a bit apprehensive about figuring out priming because I hadn't done anything like it before. Turns out it's really not that bad at all! I've been pleased with AKZO and it seems pretty idiot proof. I have the vertical stab all done and currently I'm match drilling the rudder skins. I just ordered some tank sealant for the trailing edge so that's the next hurdle I'm looking forward to figuring out.

My favorite new tools are my #30 and #40 reamers! I was making some purchases online and threw some into my cart. Why are these not standard in the toolkits?!

Cheers and build on!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Congrats! Glad to see another -10 being started.

I didn't go the Reamer route, but may have to look into it for my build.

Hiya

Hey welcome! Save some pro seal for the elevators if you can. Just curious, what do you use the readers for?

Also, go to harbor freight and buy their $40 blind rivet puller. Can be had for $30 with some sales. Wish I would have bought it on day 1

Thanks guys! Hey question, I have a few clecos that have started binding. They haven't been out of their sealed bags long. About how often should I be lubing them, and what what? Anything I can pick up from the lowes aviation department for this?

Save some pro seal for the elevators if you can

Ahh thank you I will keep that in mind! :D

Looks like you're off to a great start!

I only started my 10 in January but I haven't had any problems with my clecos binding yet and I haven't heard of other people lubricating theirs. Maybe yours just need to get broken in?

Welcome!

I'm also glad to see another 10 start up. For the ProSeal, I would recommend only ordering small quantities for the tail kit work (1 ounce kits). Order one when you're ready to do the rudder trailing edge, then one more when you're ready for the elevators/trim tabs. Store them in the fridge. This way they don't go bad/expire before you use them. When you get to the wing kit, you'll order larger quantities for the tanks, flaps and ailerons. Happy building!

Back