What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Bob "Beagle" Brents

Beagle

Good Afternoon VAF,

First builder thread post from a long time lurker. The wing kit just arrived so I suppose I'm committed.

Back in '78, as a bald-faced boy I drew an airplane and vowed that one day I would grow up to be an aerospace engineer and design and build this:
photo.php

Many years passed and I did become and aerospace engineer (Boeing) but life got in the way of "the airplane thing". One day (no longer at Boeing) I heard that a colleague was building an airplane. I asked him which one and he said "A Van's RV-8". So I did a quick internet search and thought that an RV-8 would scratch that itch from 1978.

Wing Kit:
photo.php

That airplane already exists.
It is called the Prowler
They are trying to get it back in to production but you might be able to find an unfinished kit somewhere.
I seem to recall Wayne Handley campaigned one at a few airshows.
Lovely thing to look at and it sounded great too.

Good Afternoon VAF,

First builder thread post from a long time lurker. The wing kit just arrived so I suppose I'm committed.

Back in '78, as a bald-faced boy I drew an airplane and vowed that one day I would grow up to be an aerospace engineer and design and build this:
photo.php

Many years passed and I did become and aerospace engineer (Boeing) but life got in the way of "the airplane thing". One day (no longer at Boeing) I heard that a colleague was building an airplane. I asked him which one and he said "A Van's RV-8". So I did a quick internet search and thought that an RV-8 would scratch that itch from 1978.

Wing Kit:
photo.php

Great story! Good luck in your build. I am a Boeing employee who has been at it for many years like you, and I have a goal to build an RV-14. Let us know how it goes!

Back