What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rebirthing

kentlik

Well Known Member
So I started the long process of unbending my -7A...

Going to be a long road, but worth the effort.

She went down in Nevada, moved to CA, now based in Portland OR.

Not much straight on her but she is resting comfortably...

Started the removal process and it is not bad, at least the easy to reach rivets aren't.
Will keep you posted on what I uncover deeper into her innards

N4ZWLKpYjVG2IiHaqHKwWZp4dOIGsKwfL9TTcpTAzgfiNee1dHId8Oo9yzMarTXiG3Ef-doHi3uZ6LS0RMEDl_VI_RzHiwB3yp773KaxlXuNmht_f1B00FPjvKd_iFkFdVho4I0I0mLz8MMBsVO1ABmS-ekCQ4AGatYq7aQUbr3H33gfo_-nf240sET6ykghUQKGG4tBmrMzDiDCiUQxSclo0SEl4R4b4cTs-q8Hp8obpzqX-FWujgqHwTj6bGYHv8HGgALk0N4ponG7wrCEbMcX_XXlUGPLM1KGodwPHisT_0QZn0zYZt0eCu3Ut69sDdcN0uZqKdxkCxy3d2GnfVQ6z8GDsLSPrS4DdN0Y9Yim7zgRsAbA-B-3BMmuTCN5EUqAvXM_GOCze5yax09IZrUhdFH8tumDvqMvG4WesyST28jWUnDUVjc-II6YVAee9SRwwfRL-4AefXIgpPWkbHWIu0mbnC6Sk0n7VnqSqjZcs5zdWSjHg7hRAYrIc2iMc4ZLSOKZdVXHir91C7MIXd1YpMf4BVZwb-sUUVLRnbeOkedYeKnCM7OMuVISLRg045LP60QG0_SxDTdd2var3x4eOaNEPk4AGhV7DLGHoBpm8-E_rN-Ej_Va-jtdsYNmyrDJLUZVmOVX-8IiId5RG8BKHqwDtuEflas=w544-h960-no

Kentlik

Last edited:
talk about an 'edyoocayshun!'

Kent, you'll know more than most A&P's by the time you're done!

...and no doubt have mined the brain trust here more than a few times!

good luck with the re-build!....we'd like to know the rest of the story!

( a harmless little stunt gone astray?????) :rolleyes:

Please keep us updated on your project. I went through the same process with my RV-4. 2-1/2 years from picking it up in Ohio to liftoff.

Drilling out rivets to pull off the bent and broken bits is like carefully unwrapping a birthday present. (At least, it is when the major structure beneath is OK!) At some point, you get to the undamaged core and then it isn't broken anymore, it's just unfinished. Good luck! This sort of project is very rewarding.

Repair

Kent: I'm a couple years into a 9A rebuild project. Mine was damaged in a nose over at fairly low speed. Since you are not building the kit in the normal sequence you will find yourself having to jump around in the build manual and at times get creative accomplishing tasks that aren't in the usual build. Feel free to contact me.

Don Broussard A&P, IA

RV9 Rebuild in Progress

Drilling out rivets to pull off the bent and broken bits is like carefully unwrapping a birthday present. (At least, it is when the major structure beneath is OK!) At some point, you get to the undamaged core and then it isn't broken anymore, it's just unfinished. Good luck! This sort of project is very rewarding.

Thanks Katie!

Kent,

It was great meeting you at the pancake breakfast and chatting a bit about your project! Anything I can do to help, please just let me know. It will be fascinating to watch your progress and see how this turns out for you. Please post lots of updates and pictures here for everyone!

One suggestion, since you're drilling out LOTS of rivets... a slower drill may be better for this task than the faster one. You probably know that already, but I thought I'd mention it. I actually turn the chuck by hand a few turns at first to make sure the bit is centered in the rivet head and gets a good "bite" before putting the slow power to it.

:)

Good luck with your project Kent.
If you need any aluminum sheet, let me know.
Currently my surplus is in .025 2024 T3
I sell it to VAF'rs and friends for 10% off of the lowest price you can find from Spruce or Airparts.
Local pick up only. Cash. Battleground WA.
They are full sheets, 4'x12' that can be rolled. I can also cut to size if you don't get too crazy. I have been hesitant to post to VAF yet as, until today, I didn't have the stomp shear needed to deal with it and my forklift was out of operation. All good now.

This same offer for sheet is available to any local VAF'rs. I am not set up to ship, so local pick up only. I am not interested in selling the lot. This is a favor for the local RV community, not a money making venture.
I don't think DR would disapprove.

I purchased a huge lot of surplus sheet several years ago for my Fiat G.46 projects and I have way more .025 than I need.

There may be some slight edge damage to some sheets. However, thus far, the sheets that I have pulled out of the stack have been perfect.

PS - I have removed thousands of rivets. Sounds like you are becoming an expert too, but if you want a quick lesson or compare technique, let me know. Happy to help.

Living legend

Kent, by the time you're done with this thing you will be a living legend in this community. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Jon,
I would love a lesson...on a number of things aircraft related!
I have a background in fabrication, mostly props for film and TV, but cnc and manual machine journeyman. Of course hand tools. Any reason to buy another tool is a good day!

Sounds like you have a good base of skills. PM me anytime for contact info.
My shop is a total mess as I have moved it from our home hangar to new hangar up the road a bit, but no matter. Lot's of stuff to learn on.

It's like a build in reverse gear.

"KEEP DRILLIN' OUT THOSE RIVETS, IT'S ALL WORTH IT."

:D :D :D

- mark

Kent,

It was great meeting you at the pancake breakfast and chatting a bit about your project! Anything I can do to help, please just let me know. It will be fascinating to watch your progress and see how this turns out for you. Please post lots of updates and pictures here for everyone!

One suggestion, since you're drilling out LOTS of rivets... a slower drill may be better for this task than the faster one. You probably know that already, but I thought I'd mention it. I actually turn the chuck by hand a few turns at first to make sure the bit is centered in the rivet head and gets a good "bite" before putting the slow power to it.

:)
Bob,
That is good advise. I have a slow drill and went up to a fast drill...lol. After doing a hundred or so I realized that I could speed through all the ones that were placed in underlying parts that needed to be replaced and took a much gentler and diligent approach to the rivets that had good substructure to keep.
Everything seems to be bent. I am replacing all the aft bulkheads. I have an instructional flight at 10:00 so I think I will fly to Vans to get some parts.
Then foggle time, then drill some more rivets.
One other piece of advice, use center punch on each rivet, before drilling it. That will help the drill go in the exact center of each rivet.

Also, if you buy a new tail kit, you start with a new serial number, thus no damage history to put in your log book and you become the builder of record and can get the repaiman's certificate.

Last edited:
WHY? He is essentially building all new structures with components of a wreck. No perjuring involved.

He may be building new for portions of it, but he is not building all new structures for the entire airplane.
I predict he will come no where close to meeting the requirements for constructing the major portion if it was evaluated using the checklist.

I have experience with doing this.
The RV-6A I currently own was rebuilt from an extensively damaged airplane, but the work involved still didn't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements for calling it a new airplane.

He may be building new for portions of it, but he is not building all new structures for the entire airplane.
I predict he will come no where close to meeting the requirements for constructing the major portion if it was evaluated using the checklist.

I have experience with doing this.
The RV-6A I currently own was rebuilt from an extensively damaged airplane, but the work involved still didn't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements for calling it a new airplane.

Thanks Scott.

What if he gets new wings, disassembles the fuselage, and builds a new tail kit? His project needs a complete FwF too, so what on the checklist is he missing?

I don't see this rebuild being substantially different than the scope of a QB kit. I would feel comfortable with viewing it as the equivalent.

I don't see this rebuild being substantially different than the scope of a QB kit. I would feel comfortable with viewing it as the equivalent.

All that is needed to rebuild this aircraft is four easily obtainable parts:
Emp kit
Wing kit
Fuselage kit
Finish kit

When the airplane was originally advertised for sale I looked at the photos and posted video and considered buying it. The photos showed that the airframe was very much repairable. In fact less damage than my RV-6A and that I had flying again in about 7 months

Kent has posted photos of skins being carefully removed as if planning to replace them, and even mentioned pulling out dents, so it sounds to me like repair vs replace is being done wherever possible.
I have not met Kent (though I would be happy too... it sounds like he is located near me and we have something in common.... extensive rebuild of a wrecked RV) and have nothing against him. My comment was only in response to Bills suggestion that it could be certified as a new airplane.

Now if the airplane had been purchased just for the major components like the control system, landing gear weldments / legs, etc., and an entirely new airframe was built using those parts; then I agree it might be doable depending on what was used.

That is my opinion, with my level of understanding of the rules.
Anything beyond that I defer to Mel or Gary. As active DAR's, they likely have an opinion of what level of reuse for a new build they would allow, and what process would be used to determine eligibility.

Last edited:
Did you take all critical measurements before disassembly? wing sweep, tail to wingtips ect, might give an incite to what is bent, stretched longeron, twisted center section....post pics, very interested in your project!

Upon much investigation, I will be building the entire center section new. One entire wing. Reskin 2nd wing and check dent in tank, possible new tank.

All the electrical, panel, and FWF.

Plus of course the sliding canopy and firewall and the balance of the reinforcement pieces. All in all, I am building a new aircraft, but why not!

Last edited:
bucking rivets

Moving forward...thanks for the help Darrell of Aurora/Hubbard, OR.

thDIXpMNKBKf-Sma31WNMFANoJXMDQ6778QaGtDxZ0CsSROr9lTU1ILb_9g16uRceAr2vyPW3edML6lM_PuKxKCXMscTABWcs2BbY4Qjkz_WCSl-UCCsVYXd5NVpizHawQBTZ27gz6TcQCr08UMGCwQCIPFuRQ39ephLBMIz4D0vCrAfbpqxXiL8BcCvuqejGc6if2XxZSd62CErMRlMAy9NldtKf-mvVWSYMGglXiPPu0Ucl58JUTduz83HaN5BhCbVLPLWyn5ESihCJU9HfotDDwlWT6njUIqS6UkPGTEO7SmZw9cDrvfFlR03OHnZ4d6PV_zSWOgx3_F-uxC8xGj_6Ljdiw1t6zqrkC-ZDaX2dEtGTpCTE3_Ymz_j-rw_skpAlvHnCfKs8966VS3AnvK35aaEia5vm1-OH0CkexdOtnmgW2mYIOlvj1wvB_vUBku2OHEh-HBoU0VwEnoR4QRjFfvVN3822bOlhTun2DxloRPqvxI_lI6MNdfZBdQLHN9LJQ_QE0tef-A-dWLRLF7kO2R0N5m0MdpbAp4Oy8gOSe4J7wTOeocWlRn53ku5HOxBWKw2qYn8MNv-e9UM0dIvpH2hN76dZT3ANQNMAzQogHCZ2sYGZ_XOHkL82VYwho6lkoanyqA70utV5WfHayNSPh1L1uCM1PY=s960-no

Last edited:
Some bent stuff being repaired and some straight stuff

Made some good headway last couple days. Slow but this is going to be rewarding as it is difficult.

az9QKGOYC8BzwKNh8LdDXuuqPhVqF0yrU47KEnNChGMm1BhNXo9tRmwRM9K_Z0E0ui4nf4UuRRmBdkNA6iX33De43aXu4UTTnhVlex4kVTfQlMtroD4DKBmBXk4RGW2llAuyKe4R8tErwLGo1hIDwj_IIVyE2l0QTWbFVSOk1GkWiSKFQvzTZnvv6G3fUtdnQck8XR45qOR8gVFa51flBJtCRKzPnsxI0sNFWaaPgvUTF-2ae-B1X7sE6Qjkpa4WzcXhzvx-7l-2CTS8xQ_27rHiu1rSHiq_-xchiAvTbW2hulhiZ73KuM5YpeirMbpjlBQgIjB4y5UACLpMtivQiywYQAsZ4Gvvsoj2v_tLU97g_oHWUGpcMO_AqVyH2PFgT6lua4hdOpeN9gZzwtgtaQJNodnRpTAUetmm0bAydSb_E56f2fj97968eamLN0q8rLOHOAZIdP59TDPK-2GTSJ8IV9VFAlJTyVOzXBf8rMSfMAKutkBn2cXWfBsRvqz5klcBAv0gMYOO8VpAFESY0iyZvk4u0eVP2dVeUqo-jPh8j89PhjtqZ4xBM6tBdOSMEKGGZn5I69DWBkfLHg5bURWEyW9xB4YDNONa8ucGY4G-NjBRcBMS68LSHkKbIkNTlStDbdFxTgwNnrJxOVM7I2kqAQcMfPOD=w574-h1013-no

HTt5hhcgxkoHPQ5c2Q7AEz7LGhIv99YSMOwA8JpvrzKwP2Yg6FDNUR1GbtMY7mlqyKz1NyAKlQj1PS1HbgatLeO4t4YOqMR0hTJG27qU8ldrMEiQ35QTEH_Ded6Cdrt0bye4INsUOls06I2kJPK8YFIyl9aG_aQ7nJI0jSL26iU90Hvac9PT9gxVE4bZBYfeFbCStJwuQEoO8GmSYr6g7dBclAQHs4KOxtgizaOBbingTPhGUqrESNU2Y2Vfyhx20c83tpLIfKXgTKS7_V6m_3pPoBtCfUwddTaURs8JSb_bFxOJxpBI7hpXELRmuk5_mbGEHVNChc4kPhuvG3vE32QbMf_jhJ-XjuuULFTh9y3EO3FBQG85pNHvN-C9YIpvNqb44QfRBq_7wtJHDunASsJszCNtYN7ejgLaN8DpKAfTWEWe4HDmDGUazfnm1Q3JRJW7vPKg8J8P-O6zkqy2habURVF_Mxa_vI-2r9VxOmeyVWD4FJXLJOFEkPeqxwu6uz6EtfhlXEFlGaYNfPFDVl1mTv7ZeWE3m3UsD1WfnETypGxdRtchjDQWWons5f1iqe95GbFn4E0dAy2EvNyuWh1eFCvfhtL2BTl7mRC5zopo3C5rDNgYCjf3J19hNOEy0wxIanKNo_YXBHFtfOtPc6XT6sK73EwF=w574-h1013-no

yGpllFy_w28sb3zHpyoxgYa50Ej6sm2ReNTcVvPK3RoqmlzS0YaphQUfdO5DJZFXeUDx3qrXJx9rxvdi9B10c7jmnafJJBsWBXcm62K6D3t-q-zGkK7ZWxROdnUQnSRAgGOJYLA7YxilAqa5t-5Rrkwj7TPgI8CoQfVHt5dGFaKUGUTzKnC_3EDOPZ8hKeZ4ZsfmtLv8OJDaLd0odKFEa1mCdyx0jnuufAdGF7Ev1o2Mo3JebKRzNlfLdWXRRrBwPRd4l64c-sj5nMy88VOo7HhJllN0c1pdhocRJlQPVsELSmQ4ANYjkvEzbXiq6e88XBWl1vX60ckyo8QUAya5w-qPZf35Qv6I6dvBokV2Jcwh2PXrdBY54ZEpJSxHSJbWQAD9ouPGpUfNISpQy9ZtmcL6otDgvFm5YrNGNGq12e949Qe2eXwPU3RsN2XE4QoivAxsyZE7oV2jHyUkmVy2lAYw2RcWHAoW-jUa9cTW0QTIS2j_EJxnLdQSDhSgXRp1fZ0Nqn-xveNzo8HPJuwLbLPIHYwqA7GexsshtzHo-yBoX7giiOObu66kaGZTmxcljwIeLsNMXtUSmn8DSxVlTiaxd7KtjmRZwg0vBw3sTLgGwWgZOGHuYpUgIazUYRRWHkvNxChUfk_adNWSnO-RF-WKnC6VL-5H=w574-h1013-no

1NOn9fwYS0OyH-XidaZUAFQ3XFT0ADTv6mSukcTGAbx5v4Z1HYbL49sRsHPMUl3ueIwywfyF6m34jxTbFEo2QZ7QIwLx2sCV6CsdOD7YS9hgN1RPuINXY_BDQ0mxHhJQQ9i6M5wKVC4y_WcVMRicyydbHP-GRoM1kPBISGJk_C5wPY5ngbczcA9aHdP22jZT_4a94WuW8fpHTAT_HK6Ju9B43ELVO-g5ehrntLk-DWa1_e9TrvrfB-NGFiMZNrPTLoe7uj5kTVD1YqHu8NUGaKf0iF6fideVi2lYjUc7N4EDR2hqaNlQoqRrat2MP2NAKgq_p7X4O8s22HITx7Vjib2ChGGfecyd-6FstMmrOnkJr3gtLidCUKBirgIvd7GwDcGCMIauYR1XSOoJkkX32qXWlXbyGdUSXAH8zyFAecaGFnqcxuMelJF7zQIVarHgDXS6TPMexWnt2RH794QfPOYQU1NhYqj0HfOu-vhAa3Nr2nJkAtwDWHcoCrqshq_8h-5_CluI9vXIcvwH10O-0hmBMPvMfm2XHyHKDtGrlZaWbrSWnWXc7tUjayUGd9PRYeiSY3NHZbAAJ-8ll_X6fnC1RREyCVjREmHxhEq2cWu1WYDlWgCkb1vkJnnzGcy_DzKJpIm9V7E1rkGNT36MZOkndfuxB6QN=w1790-h1013-no

7OkbfszDK66XYk04q5KleHkzbEBqmwzijS_a7pw3XPesI0ymLnhOY_pjmmVMPWZDFHMD92kUWtO9Qu0gLew3u9ntdqHqGtcjNcVjgMH9nM_40gu0XHtrjNBgsGuCvPdjfdW-uiWfTZ-KTT-lalRbWW0Q6MxwXzn-Dz59UR9GPlj9rKm6bWZmUf3V9cMDBQ0Ab_YdZNca6HjaLRDu6Iov9VrII9IZYQ0gw2bPaBzKr8xc3mZGDZqFTySJLh3W_HQilEug_aiBfP8NDwHFQ4KuIUV8vxyWGaV0Vd2WhMWduuQzBNpocv9gr2wUUVHcoV-jFh3Cmfn4YQRq4FBw7gMJwNLqmoPPtDqWT2XQsrt9i6XmTZvgC__LB_a2ya-ojNjYkH-TGF8k7ar0UUTixFN1FEF4MHH99sLnVVyasfYEZ2YcPyowclT6Z4amVaNl_DmuA6lpuuxFnbXxywrTtpJSE_t6SNx6RTZS7Zy9JAwELHbcD1BRKjhBM941cWb5LUhDq-fZ6_A-l6F16-x_8lDW4dt9SQ42POP-yl1BHNpRkyMMzv1M8MBn7BTpiuWiY-pySASdUsoLp4bWw3l1Azot12fXyZ0zvsitT1iu-K8ELZwHhyID7xwFlA9IS5oIxxLYsDY3-IesLRbFBFiHLHjdeuBYlA0myX8p=w1350-h1013-no

Last edited:
Kent, what is the status?

I have been working nonstop on "Work", so just picking at it. Last night got the center section disassembled and new seat frame bulkhead ready to mate up with all the ribs and such. I am an exper rivet remover...lol
Photos forthcoming

Well,
Here are a few more photos of the center section going together. You have all seen a thousand of them but this one is mine. Have to say it is taking longer than I anticipated...and I anticipated a long time...oh well
Onward Christian soldier!

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4378.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4381.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4384.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4383.jpg.html][/URL]

CTR Sec riveted

This afternoon I finished riveting the center section. I had pretty good luck for the most part. The difficult rivets were...difficult. Having the correct tools helped immeasurably.
Now to flip it and get the skin on.

2SrLs33uzaHIkNcR-5o5-Mvj4Karj7gzs_aMAj4q4WTBwQapk0Arf2YlvVjo-XyTpiiUiQ9ocYxjfH4PoTId4i4WYv6g3pLgUhi296UUeMgLsz1dgUMXjvuIss6v1KZzziQB8uwZI_fQo8pc5CA8t_yrHB6UB2FEYFjO6uxZ_lH8yB7tNaYzIlyTGa6v8re3UdZSSaOwNuWfKcLAv_38B6oh7sZhLeQO37v5Cxcsnv9YyD1m_g6SYhmn87ygZWpRfu2_m5GQznMARewoJmcI_2ao4SNGDUzHl7N2k0UeQ2oFPeR8jwIE2aJD7fGg1LKUs912b1rJds6k6VyNjEaSrPJ7AwTqKIU6bcg87mmYXYkl_Sit-F3XNzoBQ9XseKZ8ssU56CsPoAdiEbIaK2J1ZDLRA6V-v_lA25xqYzmfQScnwDY7UaSM2CY3C7SdDMsEeQ9Uq0GfnYAwsgFT0ZqhEr5vigsOz1ftsCxsmxJTygZRxfP6yXIKFh7CvuLpo9wSL6q12Oylw4BjIJXIUELHYa48mGnIMe4JLEJgnW58JI8h8Cx8kxpG-As4GiCs5_xz36m8y2sJmU3qVcabmRF7X42xKrg7pZpx1R5iR7U=w1024-h579-no

Last edited:
Kent has a bigger challenge then a slow build kit. His project requires un-building then re- building. Using another builders holes. I think he is on the right path.

Build on, Kent. The journey is worth it.

Thanks for the atta'boy! I am staying on task and have time between shows to get a good chunk done.
Blain the strategic planning does take a bit more time in this bad boy, but so far so good. I have managed to keep three skins so far, the aft bottom and sides.
I really can't wait to get this CTR Sec. installed...not sure how to hold it all together yet, but I will figure it out!

I ran into a bunch of RV'ers at the EAA #105 breakfast at 7S3 FBO today! Great to meet other builders and fliers!
Ran into Bruce Swayze again, Ed Lynn, Dennis (RV9 guy, he worked with my brother for several years), and several others.

Great times!

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. I am going for the living...living to fly!

Straddling the CTR section to pound the rivets

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4428.jpg.html][/URL]

Finished the bottom skin

Reid my son helped my pound the last rows. It has a bit of a raised or bowed aspect to it just below the row of rivets width wise...hope that isn't a deal breaker

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4435.jpg.html][/URL]

Previously I had final drilled the floors in per the plans
[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4437.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/tpdusa/media/IMAG4439.jpg.html][/URL]

Back