What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A #140-260 - England

Plane in a house

What have we let ourselves in for?

The most amazing experience you will ever have!

Welcome to the club. I am currently storing my empennage on the mezzanine floor in my house, the engine in my living room (makes kind of a nice conversation piece, don't you think), the wings in my workshop, and the fuselage in my garage. You'll use up all the storage space you've got, and you won't care. :D

I love the blog

I love reading your wife's writing in the blog/journal. It seemed all so familiar to me as I am in the final stages of getting my 9A into the air. Just keep prodding forward and you will get there as well. Enjoy the journey. Hope to see you two at Oshkosh some day.

I look forward to following your journey. I also enjoyed reading about your trips in the TB 10. I regret I was never active flying in the London area -- I blame it on time (lots of time courting my future wife and visiting my relatives!) and sticker shock compared to the US;)

If you are ever in the Dallas/Fort Worth area let me know and I can take you flying in my RV-10.

I will be going this summer to Edenbridge this summer for a family wedding. If you need anything small I can bring along that is difficult for you to get in the UK I may be able to bring it in my luggage.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

TJ

Update: rudder parts are nearly prepared, and had some interesting "experiments" in priming yesterday.

TJ, thanks - might well take you up on that. Let us know when you're over if you want to meet up and go for a flight.

A lot of progress in the last week. First batch of priming done, first rivets in, rudder making good progress and quite a bit of deburring done for the HS.

Starting to get into the swing of it: cut, cleco, drill, dissassemble, debur, cleco, realise we've screwed up, disassemble, prime, cleco, rivet, and repeat...

See here, here and here.

6 months on, after a few long breaks adding up to about 3 months total, we have the rudder done, elevators at 80% and the HS half way through priming:

There are some screwups, some changes in priorities around the house, we got to fly Mitch's RV-14A (thankyou!).

Still enjoying it, starting to make plans for paint, avionics, interior, engine and so on. The next few months should have far fewer interruptions - we're about to order the slow build fuselage kit, and then hopefully quick build wings for delivery May or June next year.

If you are up north, pop in and see our 14 !

Conisbrough and Harrogate.

Oh, btw, we got the G-OXIV registration :D

Back