What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Blain Stumpf #83362

Blain

Well Known Member
So I'm starting with today and I'll catch up the last 3 months activities later.

QB wings arrived today.

Slipping them into my shop

Cracked open the box and enjoyed a wiff of clean Oregon air

On the bench and ready to proceed.

Emp and wings nearly complete. Fuse is Mid December according to Vans. Taking the intermission to paint. Might make some of the handling process dificult later but it will get the major portion out of the way. And puting color to the work seems to build my enthusiasm.

Paint is Dupont Rival. Urathane single stage. My best efforts at keeping the booth clean still resulted in dust. Not to mention some orange peel. So the paint will get a cut and buff anyway.

Update by photos;

Looks nice Blain. Those are really RED wings! Great color for an 8!
You building at Cameron Park?

Looks nice Blain. Those are really RED wings! Great color for an 8!
You building at Cameron Park?

No, my home shop. Get more done here. Gave up hangar space when I sold the '22. Not sure where I'll end up. Cameron Park doesn't have much to offer.

Unless Mike S. has garage space.........:rolleyes:

Blaine,
I am getting close to the painting stage on my 9A. Your paint job looks great. Can you tell me what you are using for "color sanded" and cut and buff, to get it to the gloss you have?
Thanks,
Mark Donahue

Blaine,
I am getting close to the painting stage on my 9A. Your paint job looks great. Can you tell me what you are using for "color sanded" and cut and buff, to get it to the gloss you have?
Thanks,
Mark Donahue

This thread;
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60631&highlight=cut+buff

I used the 3M products. Found a great buffer at Northern Tools. Their house brand "Clutch". Soft start, comes with bonnets, sale was about $89.

I didn't plan on color sanding but closer inspection I had some ugly orange peel.

If you haven't found this link I learned a few things there;
http://www.mnwing.org/N32SEPaint.pdf

My setup is almost a duplicate of what he did. I'll share a couple of lessons. Don't use plastic on the floor. Paint won't stick to it and peels off and becomes airborne contamination. Going to replace with painters paper dropcloth.

Turn fan off before entering or exiting paint booth. Carport/Booth has zippered doorway. When opening it sucks whatever contamination there is outside of the doorway back in. Let air equilize for a few seconds.

Tyvek shoot suite, Hobbyaire, case of latex gloves, clean slippers for the booth. Don't track **** in your work boots. This whole outfit had a fringe benefit; the wife couldn't even smell that I had been painting when I came in the house. And no chemical headaches indicating that you've killed off braincells.

Compression sprayer with water and a drop or 2 of dish soap. Spray the floor, and around the doorway on the outside.

Buy as many lights as you can afford, fit, have power for, etc. Even moveable spotlights will help. Since painting irregular parts means moving around it seems I always had a shadow in the spray pattern. You think you see the overlap and know where your going until you move to another angle then you see the dry spot or curtain, etc. I learned to paint things outdoors. This whole booth gig is a lesson.

We have to use low VOC paint which I also hadn't used before. This sprays different then the old Urathanes. Still getting the hang of it.

I oriented all parts horizontal to minimize curtains (runs).

Buffed the wingtips today and realized I got thrifty with the paint on the edges. Next time (!?) I'll hose it on those areas. It requires a light touch when sanding around the tip edges. Even with 1500 on the DA it will cut fast if only in contact with 1/8" sharp tip edge.

And a tidbit I learned from a car painter; I asked him how I could smooth out my strokes. "Simple-a shot or 2 of Jack Daniels before you start"

Mark, I didn't mean to ramble on.

Good Summary Blain, many details needed for doing this. I learned the wet-the-floor trick from a painter who would shoot enamel on cars in the 70's. This was before clean booths. He would just wet the floor with a hose, not spray cause some little drops float around. Perfect paint, no floating defects.

I will add to your caution about the plastic shedding accumulated paint. I built a booth with 2X2 frames and sheet plastic, the top was flat and after painting a while in a truck restoration project, flecks began to come off. I see a lot of these booths built and early claims to perfection, but with use they WILL SHED DEBRIS. If anyone has a solution besides just replacement, please let me know, I am dragging my feet about building one again for that reason.

Suction vs blowing. Suction keeps the paint overspray and fumes in the booth, but sucks in dust around all the cracks. Slight pressure or neutral will prevent that but allows paint fume and overspray leaks outside the booth. This means pulling and pushing air for the booth to address both issues. When the walls move stuff falls off.

Funny, I bought the Sam James paint video disk, and it looks like he had the grand idea of the plastic shed booth but ever implemented it. He clearly did not anticipate what we have just discussed. Box fans are not enough air flow to keep the booth clear, unless you have a bunch of them (6?). Anyway, don't buy that disk for information, but maybe for comedic value.

Unless Mike S. has garage space.........:rolleyes:

I could probably work that out, but hangar space is going to be a problem.;)

Talk to me after you get the phase 1 flown off, I may be able to help. No phase 1 allowed at Cameron Park.

I could probably work that out, but hangar space is going to be a problem.;)

Talk to me after you get the phase 1 flown off, I may be able to help. No phase 1 allowed at Cameron Park.

Tongue was firmly planted. But I appreciate the thought. Probably depend on who my test pilot is.....um...starts with Mike....

Blaine,
thank you for the great information. I have not absorbed it all yet, but I can see it is a big help for me as I move forward with the painting...why am I doing this?
Will post some pictures in the not too distant future.
Mark

Finished paint and buffing on this phase of assembly. Moved parts to storage inside of paint booth to make room for the QB fuse kit. Should be here by Friday.

Just about the same time I was tiring of the task. Ready to get back to banging rivets.

Guess what I got today..........

Opening the crate you can almost smell the fresh Oregon air..

Getting it out of the crate is an excercise in reverse engineering

I thinks Van owns a lumber and paper mill too

Now the next phase of fun begins

This is progress that keeps the fire going;

Actually see an aircraft emerging from the pile of parts.

Blain,
It is looking great. Keep plugging away, soon there will be nothing on the to do list and you will be flying.

Haven't added to the thread for a while. Here is an interesting shot; Guess where I'm at?

Forward baggage door wasn't difficult. Standing just a tad high but I think it will come down with the locking blocks. If not I'll gently massage it.....

The answer to the question is on my back in the forward fuse under the baggage door. Not all that bad except for the harness anchor for the crotch strap in my back.
Door came out well. A bit proud as shown in the previous photo. Really the only reason is that I hit the skin rivets on the neighboring bulkhead a little harder then I should have.
Updated progress photos;

Vans static source

Bonded cable fairings. Thinking now I should have set at least a couple of rivets

Here is the -8A step hole that comes standard in the -8. Fairing will be close, might need to abandon 1 or 2 of the top ones. And rivets to fill the step anchor holes above.

Inspiration

Sometimes the simplest accomplishments can inspire drive to continue

Almost looks like an aircraft

Measure a dozen times before drilling

The feared flap to fuse fit

Things are going well...........

More pictures

You could read my thoughts or look at pictures. I'll spare the 1000 words.

Will it keep me out of the 200 MPH club?

Not thrilled with the flap to fuse fit. Seperate thread in the -8 section. Made a bend to make it blend per others advice.

Horizontal stab SB completed

12 hour marathon yesterday completing the SB. Stab was sitting on the parts rack. Wouldn't ever be easier then right now. Won't need to worry about the tail falling off:eek:

Finish kit!

"Finish kit" is deceptive. Should be called something like "You too far in to give up now" kit. Or "1/2 way" kit.

Anyway, received today. Plenty to work on now.

In the meantime, rolled the fuse over to prep the cabin for paint. Easier to sit on a creeper while masking and cleaning

The Big Cut

Seperated windscreen from canopy. Went well. Going the Sikaflex route. This is a Todds product.

Fiberglass!

Feels like I should be building a Corvette or a composite plane. Should be done with glass and resin for a while.

Looks like the most difficult part of the build is done, Blain. Congratulations!

I did the Sika Flex thing and so far it is good. The process is messy when applied but once it is cured it appears bullet proof.

Your wind screen finish is great. I was dreading it and as it turned out, the local auto paint shop guy who came to the hangar for some painting did it for me, he said he does that sort of work all the time on cars. I don't know what product he used but it went on easy and sanded easy. There is stuff on the market these days that is better and easier to work with than the old technology of micro balloons with epoxy.

Looks great, Blain! What shade of red is that? One of the colors in my scheme will be red, and I like how vibrant yours looks.

Dupont Axalta Rival. Color is Atchison-Topeka-SantaFe red. My guess is that is the color on the railroad engines. I can provide the color code if interested.

More fiberglass.
I thought this was an all metal plane? Custom Corvettes do prepare you for these times. Although the latest 'Vette project was suspended because I'd have enough fiberglass for this decade. But I'll get through it and have a ship to be proud of.

More red

The more parts that are painted the closer it feels to being done. More motivation.

Didn't like the way the rubber channel fit the lower emp fairing. Went the way some others have and layed up 'glass. Looks like it will be an improvement.

Upper fitted and countersunk.

Just had a debate the other day about paint and fly or fly and paint

working around fresh paint looks scary scary scary!

Any significant issues you have run into thus far?

Looking good by the way

No problems

No regrets so far. Obviously have to be extra careful with painted assemblies. The rudder bottom is a good example of maybe needing to make a repair and repainting. (separate thread about that in the -8 forum) Small price to pay in my opinion.

For me it was pride of painting, saving some dough and being done when it enters phase 1.

I would do it the same if I were to build another.

Last edited:
Finished with emp fairings. Fabricated lowers with fiberglass. Seems better then that rubber channel. Only drawback is it probably is an ounce or so heavier.

Been on 'glass parts so long now I look forward to torquing the landing gear bolts. OK, not really but ready to get back to aluminum parts:cool:

New mascot

We adopted a rescue puppy this week. First time in the shop with me. If my 120 pound lab tried this we would have had words.....

That would be a finished flap he's napping on.

Last edited:
You have way more heart than I do Blain! Im afraid the dog would have needed rescue if it was laying on my flap!!!

Well, I don't believe he could have pulled those blankets up there by himself so I guess it's ok! Ha!

Next time I am in town I would love to stop by and see your plane.

You have way more heart than I do Blain! Im afraid the dog would have needed rescue if it was laying on my flap!!!

Well, I don't believe he could have pulled those blankets up there by himself so I guess it's ok! Ha!

Next time I am in town I would love to stop by and see your plane.

The blankets were there to protect from other parts being stacked up. Ship is going back together so the storage area is getting lighter!

Your welcome to visit my factory. Just shot me a PM if your going to be in the 'hood!

More pictures of the progress

And our new addition to the family getting aqainted with the -8

Blain, you will end up with one fine airplane, your workmanship is excellent.
Your dog probably likes red paint, he hangs out enjoying it dreaming of a similar red dog house. :)

Photo update

I like more pictures then words;
Rear stick with locking pushpin

Moved canopy stop back to between seatback support. Had it forward of support and was too close for ease of entry. Also the knob caught on clothing. This position much better.

And a view from the other side of my shop. Matching red Vett.

Inboard flap skin

This is one of those annoying little OCD things that I had to fix. Bottom skins are not long enough to fill the "nesting pocket" on the fuse. I'm told that its a matter of Vans not wanting to waste a sheet of aluminum to make the skin long enough. Beside the overhang lap isn't secured together. Several good threads on the subject. Used the best ideas I could find and adapted my own;

Last edited:
Smoke test!

Encouraging to see the panel lit up. Now if I could just get them to communicate with each other. Actually just the AFS encoder and the GTX aren't on speaking terms.

Back