What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Caleb Tennis

ctennis

Well Known Member
I also finally took the plunge and ordered my empennage kit a couple of weeks ago, and have been going to town now.

I prided myself on staying detail oriented and focused on the job at hand. Just look at how nicely I got everything laid out for drilling the holes through the bearing.

YkNDNbs.jpg

And then I take it apart to look and realize I didn't drill through the existing holes, but made my own set!

ECmN3q7.jpg

Oops, there's a quick $30 to Vans to get a replacement part coming..

Other than that I've been having a ton of fun so far. I've noticed a few issues with the RV-8 instructions with modifications since I believe the service bulletin came out, so might be of interest to other RV-8 folks getting started. I'm going to post those over in the RV-8 specific forum.

Will post more milestone updates as they come along.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!

Caleb, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Send the photo of the extra holes to Vans, and see if they think it needs to be replaced ---------- I suspect you may save yourself $30.

This part is going to be sandwiched between a couple pieces of steel, and I suspect there is very little load placed on the rivets-----you may just dodge the bullet this time.

My last post was August, but I've been hard at work. Empennage was completed around Thanksgiving, and I'm nearing completion of the wings and the fuselage will be here in about 3 weeks.

Last week I finished the fuel tanks, and this past week I leak checked the right tank. No leaks with the air/soapy bubble method, so I let it cure an additional number of days then yesterday I put a couple of gallons of 100LL into it and sloshed it around looking for streaks on the outside. Not finding any, it's now mounted on the leading edge.

This coming week I'll be finishing the ailerons and flaps, riveting the top skins on to the right wing, then forming up all of the left wing. Having a blast so far!

yBPakscl.jpg

Lack of updates doesn't mean lack of progress!

On Sunday August 27th, 2017 - RV-8 N29213 (kit #83446) took to the
skies.

Empennage kit was received Aug 06 2014 , airworthiness certificate
issued July 28 2017 for almost exactly a 3 year build. An extra few
weeks to perform Lycoming SB632 on the IO-360-M1B delayed the first
flight, but everything performed beautifully on a nice cool evening with
a dozen or so spectators watching.

Pretty standard VFR RV-8 build with Grove gear, and all Dynon
integration including an HDX display, dual com radios, auto pilot, EMS,
transponder, and ADSB. Aeroled wingtip lights and strobes round out the
electronics.

Thanks to Larry Anderson with N88XT in chase and for an initial flight
test. Thanks to Bruce Bohannon for the skills training in 2016 to get
my confidence up on flying the thing. Thanks to Richard Drake for a few
hundred hours of assistance over the years, especially during the fuel
tank building.

Everyone wants to know when I'm going to start on my -10 and replace my "slow" Cessna 182. I think I need a little break first before thinking about that endeavor.

s54ogOz.jpg

YUsAJHb.jpg

Back