What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Mark in Maryland #83652

Flyingbeard

Hi VAF,

My name is Mark and I am just getting started with my RV-8 project. I have ordered my empennage kit and will be attending a Fundamentals of Building course this Saturday. Next week, I will be starting on my empennage at Synergy Air in Eugene. I plan to build the tail under adult supervision and then send it home.

This being my first project, I felt attending the empennage class would help provide a good base for building the rest of the plane.

I will post more when I return from Eugene.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Feel free to pay me a visit at KDMW (Carroll County Airport) if you want to see some RV's under construction and/or get a ride in my -7. I live NW of Baltimore and would be more than happy to help you out if you need it (I am also an EAA Technical Counselor). Where are you located at?

Thank You Mike!

I am sure that I will have many questions once I return from my builder/learning vacation in Oregon. I plan to do most of my build at Essex Skypark (W48), I live about five minutes away and have a hangar to use for my project. Thanks again for your ride and Tech Counselor offers. I have just joined EAA and look forward to meeting you.

Take Care.

Hi Mark,

Let me know if you're ever around VKX. Maybe we can grab a $100 burger sometime; my treat.

Robert

Synergy Air is a great place to learn. I did my empennage on my own, but took their Quickbuilding class in 2016 right before ordering my QB wings and fuselage. If it were feasible, I would have done as much work as possible with them. Their expertise is well founded and well known.

Hi Robert & Martin,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am so excited to start, I am like a kid on Christmas Eve. I am happy to hear you had a good review of Synergy Air.

I am a strong believer in getting training. My whole aviation career has been in the military and the airlines where training gets a high priority.

Thanks again, I will post more once I have done something.:)

Hi Mark,

Feel free to pay me a visit at KDMW (Carroll County Airport) if you want to see some RV's under construction and/or get a ride in my -7. I live NW of Baltimore and would be more than happy to help you out if you need it (I am also an EAA Technical Counselor). Where are you located at?
Mike, we have never met, but your website has been immensely useful in my build.

Thank you.

Mike, we have never met, but your website has been immensely useful in my build.

Thank you.

Mazda,
Mike was at Jim's birthday bash at Cedar Meadows. How come you guys never got connected? :)

twin%20lakes%20-%201%204.jpg

I am based at Harford Co. Md, 0w3. Let me know if you want to come up and look at my 9A....I had my first flight last Dec, now 84 hrs.

I too started the build of my RV-10 at Synergy Air with their Empennage class. I highly recommend it as a great way to get started on the right foot with the assistance of their RV experienced A&P mechanics as you begin your build. Well worth the time & money!

Another positive Synergy post

Headed back out there on Monday, working on our RV-7A. Can't recommend these guys and gals enough. Not the least cost way to build an RV, but if you avoid some of the common and very expensive rookie mistakes - it might be. Regardless, you end up with a much higher quality build and you learn tips and techniques from people who have done this numerous times.

Mark,
It was good to meet you this last week out in Eugene. You are in good hands at Synergy. They will keep you out of the weeds.

Build Update

Hi Guys,

I have been home from Synergy for about a week know.

First off, I had a great time and learned a lot.

I started out with the Fundamentals Class on Saturday. The goal here was to learn the metal working skills needed to build an RV aircraft.

To exposed us to many time saving tips and techniques for building efficiently.

To answer our questions related to tools and building.

To provide a safe, professional, courteous environment.

Make it an enjoyable experience.

I believe Allan our instructor met all the goals above and he is a really nice guy.

The four of us (myself + 3 others) completed two training projects during the day and lunch was also provided.

We learned good drilling techniques, Drill sizes, Cliekos sizes and colors, time to De-bur, Rivet Guns 2x vs 3x, Rivet styles and sizes, and much more. I am glad I kept the handout.

All and all a nice way to spend a Saturday.

Last edited:
I have 2 friends with RVs at Essex. Bill with an RV-7 that he built http://www.pilotbill.com/ and Bruce with an RV-3. I'm sure you will run into them soon.

Claw (Bill) and Mugsy (Bruce) are part of EAA 571 at ANP Annapolis. Were a bunch of builders in this chapter - RVs, SuprCubs, Sonexs, gliders etc and of course certed stuff. If you wanna come down, meets are 3rd Thurs of the month (google the chapter). Dont know how far you are away tho. Also hop into the Yahoogroups DC Pilots forum. Thats the local hangout for whats going on around here aviation wise.......

Thanks manigo,

I know Bill, I bought the hangar that I am currently updating at Essex from him and Bruce. I have yet to meet Bruce, but I am sure that I will shortly. Thanks for the invite.

Mark

Welcome Mark. My build partner Mark and I are building an RV8 at GAI and also have a flying one there. If you would like to come by and see a project in its latter stages of a build you are welcome to stop by.

Back