What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 N869AM

BluSkyRidr

My first post. I am usually a lurker. My project is pretty far along. I started the tail 2 years ago in a class at Synergy Air in Eugene OR. I have the quickbuild wings and the quickbuild fuselage. I will post a bunch of pics.

The wings were completed over a year ago. There wasn't that much work that needed to be done on the quickbuild wings. I used Aeroleds for the lights and a dynon heated pitot tube.

The fuselage is about 80% complete with 80% more work to go to finish it. You will see from the pics that I still have it on the gear and the engine is in.

aH7jaA90mSABw6WzceXr-zILPwzR-dGEhLfy-wMDCGjhKcGsdEVE4ZbZxIJu7BA5zw7CNS-_o86g5QrhsW3XV33JXAIcQAbaYXWR2cqYNeo8KaVDD7pIYC_9Zx5OoubviHIH_3ERRQV53Nv-C3EN3rR92EAV0l1CGc4hSVMVeHffGz32UrobKDEMZLPVJ2nz0HOAQzfSIZI1GkhixA-lvV5CKSRmpQzIMQisDvn8bcHipAGGC4dsAl4txdrMazrsKT09WUX1s_2U_AWHlLG7cRFZC31IpFFWbcXo99eEd1jfPEcVpDhdvhyIpa_OnpxbdhVy7g11uRubTLct5hkA5pL0lbqZSTbCqoEN79nOOHSFZtyfEAG6yT9MTWnkPwGabrggsQRf-UxucQm73a_6XfiYdv-19tfMmLBhaCy0vZpkUMREifAu_mguEv3pRu1oOxT19wY_jJGgAUrN9b8M2ORU22XShfXKWbEf6SuD9yjRZBvSLuViY-U7vMX_q0P6ZgjotsoKYc1uu61n04WSJVDmauw1okEUzkJZYUEH0EIN-nDU14JP6aR2dlZpPOKiIYHGSjNmuvULuhiOgtHAi4bWfYGGxNVFpTeJJJ2y6s1etuyY8aGe_bE0-1qT7xI0HDcXbu1c53JaYjOuVTdzoHqTKCxgfKAdgeG1hHp3mg=w851-h638-no

Welcome to VAF!

My first post. I am usually a lurker. My project is pretty far along. I started the tail 2 years ago in a class at Synergy Air in Eugene OR. I have the quickbuild wings and the quickbuild fuselage. I will post a bunch of pics.

The wings were completed over a year ago. There wasn't that much work that needed to be done on the quickbuild wings. I used Aeroleds for the lights and a dynon heated pitot tube.

The fuselage is about 80% complete with 80% more work to go to finish it. You will see from the pics that I still have it on the gear and the engine is in.

Andrew-------Welcome aboard the good ship VAF :D

Thanks, I have been a lurker for a while and decided I need to also give back. I plan to do a bunch of neat stuff with this plane and wanted to share it.

This is the current state of the airplane. I have now caught up the VAF postings with the airplane. This project has been an awesome experience. I see another build in my future.

This is my current issue I am working through. I bought the titan engine new from the manufacturer. Before I bought the motor I placed a call to Vetterman for one of his exhaust systems, He mentioned that I need to only use the Superior cold air sump with his exhaust. I let the salesman at titan know that tidbit. Unfortunately, with the cowling on I do not have enough room for the throttle servo to mount the induction snorkel, let alone have the approriate clearance with the cowl. It has a little less than 1/4". (See attached photo)

The sump is a superior cold air sump and the throttle servo is a Silverhawk.
I have no experience with either. Unfortunately Titan doesn't make their injection system anymore, that would have been the best option as it was 2 inches shorter. I think I bought the engine right as they stopped making their injection system. The motor was purchased before continental motors bought them.

My question for this forum is which option is best or are there other options that won't cost me power and/or screw up the cowl lines?

A) I go to a 7 degree Titan sump. This means that I can't use the Vetterman exhaust. I will probably have to use the titan exhaust. Will I loose power? The motor dyno'd out at 204hp. The more power the better in my opinion. This means no cowl modification. Depending on what Titan does this could add on a significant cost to the airplane.

B) Modify the cowl with a pimple/blister to accommodate the longer throttle servo and try and fill it as best as possible. The blister will be around 3/4" out on the cowl and would screw up a **** good build and airplane in my opinion.

3iALhEYL_8f6zh9WjI-knqBReAC0xCQtYMs9_OXj1L1s4qK-Yax7wB3fnowk3a4GFA5N-O6-E8YnAeOdi-2ZfDwTseUseHSe_XhRC5LBL0EbioDFonbd8252QGfnllnJn2Y7jJsu2rlc66deXwVwIT7K25UxCzVEvSR-WF-zKu7TgTzPXbYIY9tpbUjw1pUQEISsBQ4Tvcsd5hS68KkL7gpVH1bU_g_8cWv-3RSBGbo-nZrZrllTZuQ23_iIKQp22T9ERHmlTE4Y-ZEdX4POkydrPLuNAMzeGVeGDG8kiot2mlWJRufFEjWlvX3iFhd_nc67g1CKqWf1YEvq235Q2HJU2r3PR9SaJ0HfCkL7sd72CrFNAahB-TNwGJUbH-8BlI1gIIQphgRIBp-kvhycNjpC3IoCcougWpU6cS4AZuH-7wvZsmW05vwHIQQiSZqmQZUPOSTD1bLwbHkCeIoYxsX98QdjDB96ZBSnE3prn-l_d8sKSyQ9sCQ1Th07n3COfSLthUR6zFjlVoklkx6lSy4fu5wDIJBKwkvewbHNvPy6N5O8pFHNKKcelawVSjW0q62naX82V458kcX_wZAgxOknjjCmKzs7XhfgxtJ_PQYep2qhj-ItEDs9K_lFY4yg-gZfjuOWvfYHsuJNocRueFXJxNR-1ngwJ5xCxB0uLg=w479-h638-no

Thanks for sharing, looks like you're making great progress.

Your issue is beyond my technical knowledge base so I'll simply say congrats on your progress so far and I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough here with a suggestion.

Machine a wedge to go under the flange between the the servo and the cold air induction. It would need to be something like 1/4" to zero on the top. Might work. Does Airflow make a shorter servo?

I'm using the eci 7 degree sump on my RV-8 and the Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust and it all fits. Did you speak to Clint about the 4-pipe?

I am using a different throttle body though so clearances with the cowling would be different.

Bracket

Hard to tell from the image and much of the detail is covered in tape, but can you file off the end of the bracket to gain additional clearance?

I made the decision to modify the cowling vs changing out the sump. If I changed out the sump I would have to modify the snorkel to clear the alternator and the starter. Not that big a deal as its fiberglass, but I could restrict the airflow causing a slight power loss. So I will be selling the brand new 7 degree sump in the classifieds.

You will see from the following pics how I modified the cowling

Last edited:
Baggage door number 2
This one was put together with clecos and structural epoxy on the top skin to hold it in place. It worked well. The door didn't move when I revited the top skin on. When I climbed inside and revited the inner door panel it moved just a little. It is still a good door and better than the first one.

baggage%20door-XL.jpg

Last edited:
While the cowling mods were drying I worked pretty hard on the canopy. The amount of time spent of the canopy was staggering.

IMG_4895-XL.jpg

IMG_4880-XL.jpg

IMG_4896-XL.jpg

Last edited:
With the cowling mods done. I decided that what the **** I will add cowl flaps. I used the aero splat flaps and like them so far

IMG_5203-XL.jpg

IMG_5202-L.jpg

IMG_5210-L.jpg

Last edited:
RV6A Elevator crack

Has there been a problem with elevator cracks in the skin where the front spar
attaches to the balance weight horn.We just bought a 6 with a crack on both rt and Lt side .. would post a picture but tooooo dumb. Bob [email protected]

I am not aware of any cracks on the horizontal. This is a new construction and has the horizontal stab mod recommended by Van's. I put a little proseal in the trailing edge of the elevators to protect against cracks at the very trailing edge. But it was small dolups not a continuous bead. The weight and balance of the elevator is critical and I didn't want to have to make major changes to balance it once it is painted.

Moving on. I will try and get the thread caught up. I have been busting my *** to get the airplane done and have not been able to post much. So here goes.

I have started to customize the airplane in these pics. There are switch panels that I having made.

IMG_5066-XL.jpg

IMG_5193-XL.jpg

In this picture you can see a grown man cry. I was putting in nutplates for a gps antenna and I dropped the bucking bar. I fixed the damage but wow. The damage a little bucking bar will do to aluminum when dropped is staggering.

IMG_5075-XL.jpg

Now the fun of sanding all of the aluminum for paint prep.I one stage I thought I might make it polished aluminum. Not anymore after sanding it.

IMG_2165-M.jpg

IMG_5303-L.jpg

canopy skirt to windscreen joint

Hi Andy, looking really good! While you are shooting photos, could you take some about how you did the canopy skirt to the windscreen overlap? Yours looks very smooth from the photos I can see here. Thanks!

I will post more photos this weekend. I will shoot some photos of the canopy frame skirt area then. I am at my day job now. I have transition training this week with the first flight this weekend. Sorry I am not posting more frequently. I am trying to make Oshkosh this year.

Back