What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 restoration and conversion

southtarnation

Well Known Member
Hello all.

Im adding a link to my blog for my rv4 renovation and conversion to a fastback-slider among other things im doing to it.

I purchased it flying (barely) and am about half way through my restoration of it. It is my first rv, my first aircraft and my first blog, so kkep that in mind!

The link to the blog is: http://rv-4fb.blogspot.com/

I have been backlogging entries and pictures of what has been done and should be up to date in a week or two.

I am adding a vp-x sport, dynon sv7, autopilot, electric elevator trim and flaps, dynon aoa, catto 3-blade and an infinity grip.

I love this site and hope that instead of me posting every little thing maybe those in the know could review my blog and make suggestions or tips to help out in the process. Building is ok but id rather be flying!

All comments welcome!

Last edited:
updated to current progress

Ive updated my blog to include some pictures up to the current status. I envy the detail of some other build-logs and blogs that go into great detail and actually contain some useful information. Mine is not one of those types. Its more of just a place to add some pictures and brief descriptions of those pictures. Its nice to have a place to point people to when they constantly ask "is it ready yet?"

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions here in regards to to the blog. I was hoping to get some more feedback from the community then I have. ...or at least a little more than none. :eek:

Blog Spot

You rebuild looks great. Documentation looks great also. I'm interested to know how you like Blog Spot? Please advise.

Wiring

Hi

I am just in the midst of rewiring my trim and PTT switches. When I finished up the elevator and wired it the trim servo it did not work. Turns out I hah had a bad day at the office when I originally wired it, god only knows what I was thinking.

But the real problem was trying to drive Ray Allen position indicators from a Mac servo..... I have no idea where that came from!!

Blogspot is good!!

You rebuild looks great. Documentation looks great also. I'm interested to know how you like Blog Spot? Please advise.

Thanks. It seemes to be pretty neat. They have a free ipad and iphone app too that makes addig posts easier.

Hi

I am just in the midst of rewiring my trim and PTT switches. When I finished up the elevator and wired it the trim servo it did not work. Turns out I hah had a bad day at the office when I originally wired it, god only knows what I was thinking.

But the real problem was trying to drive Ray Allen position indicators from a Mac servo..... I have no idea where that came from!!

Blogspot is good!!

Hey cool blog! I had searched but missed yours some how. Ill add it to my list.

Blog

Hi Jesse

Great.... the more links the better.

I wish I had built my 4 as a fastback.... I could convert it but just want to get it flying now.

I must update the blog!!!

Steve

I have been working on mangling up a windshield bow and canopy bow. I think I'm finally on the home stretch of this thing. I have updated my blog with the recent weekends photos.

It's looking good. I keep checking in to see how your progress is going.

Chris.

Thanks!

Ive added pictures for the past few weekend but still need to add some desriptions. Or at least some excuses for some of the work. Im making parts usually 2-3 times, each a little better. Im remaking the boot lid now so the one pictured is coming back off. It was too short on the sides where it meets the canopy and im going to do away with the screw attachmnts across the top for the instrument panel.

Making the 4 a fastback was so easy and this sliding canopy has been progressing so slow but i think the hard part is behind me now that i have a working freely sliding frame!

Blog updated with the pics from the past few weekends. Finishing up the canopy, hung the motor and exhaust, wired all the sensors and did a few other small steps forward. Maybe ill make it Petit Jean. Was looking forward to trying to make the 50th at Reno but I don't see it happening for me.

I think it's great you are restoring/modifying/improving an old flying RV-4. I have a feeling you will catch a serious case of "builder's eye" after this, I bet you already know what you'll build next ;)

Well done, I will be following with great interest.

Last edited:
Not shown in the piture is the -7 kit my dad and I purchased. Its next, lol. You are right Eddie, thanks for the compliment!

My RV-4, Fastback Slider

IMG_0527.JPG

Sorry about the large picture...

I completed the first flight back in mid August since I began the restoration (almost 4 years ago) and I have about 8 hrs flight time on the new setup so far and really love it.
As she sits at the fuel dock back home at sunny Punta Gorda, ready for another tank full and sunset flight. There are still things left to do, some obvious some not so much. The wheel and gear leg fairing will be installed after the new motor is broken in. The Oregon Aero Cushions still need to be covered and the seat belts upgraded. I'm waiting on a few item to be returned after being RMA'd and looking forward to reinstalling them when they arrive. I'm not happy with the registration font (looks like it was cut out with scissors) or the placement of the N-numbers. I'm not sure that I am happy with the tail "art", maybe something a little more distinctive. I'm afraid Ill need to have the Catto prop re-pitched to lower the wot rpm more so will probably have the nickel leading edged done too at the same time if they are possible to be retrofitted. Many thanks to all that helped me get her back it the air and especially my Dad.

Last edited:
Looking Good!

Thanks, for taking the time to show me your aircraft, Jesse! It is looking Very Good! I hope we get to fly together in a few months...

Rock!

Hey Jesse,

I noticed you did the rebuild ar south Lakeland. If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple questions for you about the facility.

Thanks,
Dan
[email protected]

Back