What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Wheels

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
For those who have installed Beringer Wheels, what socket or tool did you use to get the 1 1/4" main wheel nuts tightened? The output shaft is longer than even the longest socket I can find and a wrench won't quite get enough grip without damaging the nut. I don't want to mangle the nut. Advice appreciated.

Well, a Dremel and a cutting wheel didn't work .. tried to modify a cheap socket .. bye bye Dremel .. had high hopes until the magic smoke appeared .. oops!

Me too

Im glad you asked this. Im about a week away from this issue and will appreciate what you learn.

Big thanks to @pappa, an RV-9A builder who surprisingly lives only about a mile from me. He called right after he read my post and offered to help modify a socket. I'll post a pic here in a bit.

@Av8rRob assuming this works I can ship it to you if you don't want to make one.

So it looks like your just cutting the end off a 1.25" socket. How do you plan to torque this to 141 in/lbs?

So it looks like your just cutting the end off a 1.25" socket.

You make it sound so easy! Dremel, you will be missed!

How do you plan to torque this to 141 in/lbs?

My plan is to grind two flats and then use a crescent style torque wrench .. haven't got quite that far yet .. maybe I'll just weld a sacrificial socket to the modified one.

Last edited:
It's 1 1/4. None of my crowfoot adapters will fit, the nut is flush or just recessed past the wheel.

Last edited:
Check this out! Didn't even know there was such a tool, a "flare nut" crowfoot:

o3P.jpg

That is probably the best solution (assuming it works). Being the smallest/ lightest is best for me. I plan on carrying that with me in airplane in case wheel /brake work is needed on the road. Might be hard pressed to find something like that in middle of nowhere.

Thanks to you guys! The flare nut crowfoot was the perfect tool for the job. Amazon had one here in two days. Having the right tool is excellent.

From the Beringer Installation and Maintenance Manual:

) Apply a thin coat of grease on wheel bearings
Insert the wheel through the axle while placing the disc in wheel slots between the clips. NOTE: Do not force, the disc has to be properly positioned to fit inside wheel slots.
e) Apply a thin coat of grease on axle thread.Screw the axle nut to contact
f) Torque axle nut to contact by hands, do not force.(WARNING)
g) Insert a new cotter pin to secure the axle nut
CAUTION: Cotter pin must be in place to prevent the loose of axle nut.

It does. There are other places in their literature where they say applied liberal grease to nut threads and don't say anything about grease on the bearings. And I wonder if they mean grease the bearings or grease the axle the bearing rides on? I like the pictures but something seems lost in translation sometimes with their documentation.

That nut is such a perfect fit on the axle that there isn't much that happens when you do put a torque wrench on it. It hits the stop and that's that!

Do you think the pin they supply is a stainless or cadmium material. What pin from ACS is the right cross-ref? The wire is just 0.041 stainless nothing special.

Beringer axle nut

Trying to figure out how to tighten the 1 1/4" wheel nuts on my RV-14A Beringer main wheels. Called tech support. They're working on it.
Any ideas? Is that nut really supposed to be torqued to 141 in/lbs??

- Stumped -

I think I found the solution. I simply used a 1 1/4" box wrench and filed a little material off the side of the wrench where it contacts the wheel rim enough so I could get a good bite on the nut.
No way to torque to specs. Did some practice on the vice and a torque wrench to get the feel, then snugged up the axle nut.
Will hope to confirm with Beringer when they get back to me.

Last edited:
Back