What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which worm drive clamp for use on Exhaust Pipes?

Saville

Well Known Member
I want to replace a couple of worm drive clamps on the heat muff and a heat shield mounted to the exhaust.

I looked at the Spruce catalog and I see:

100 Series - Cad Plated

200 Series - 410 Stainless Steel

300 Series - just says Stainless Steel

and I'm trying to understand the differences and what's best to use in this application.

What is the difference between 410 SS and just "SS"? Which should I use?

Is Cad plated good for this application? I suspect not but I don't know for sure.

Thanks

Just go to your local NAPA autoparts store and ask for full circle stainless worm drive clamps.

I'm trying to understand the differences and what's best to use in this application.
I just used plain old "Breeze" clamps on my exhaust, but if you want to be anal, the 410 alloy would probably be the best choice.
Grade 410 stainless steels are general-purpose martensitic stainless steels containing 11.5% chromium, which provide good corrosion resistance properties...They are generally used for applications involving mild corrosion, heat resistance and high strength.

Martensitic SS is magnetic, whereas Austenitic alloys are not.

I just used plain old "Breeze" clamps on my exhaust, but if you want to be anal, the 410 alloy would probably be the best choice.

Martensitic SS is magnetic, whereas Austenitic alloys are not.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the magnetic qualities of 410.

Can these be overtightened? I assume you tighten them as tight as possible with a screwdriver only.

I was going to get the Breeze but as I wrote, they listed 3 different kinds.

Back