What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IPad 9.7 suggestions

Jimbo54

I plan on using my iPad 9.7 using ForeFlight along with a single panel Dynon Skyview. Before seeking the wisdom of others, my initial thought was to use a Ram mount with single suction cup attached just left of the glove box in front of the right seat. Your experience and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in ad Vance. Jim

I have D-180 but I believe Skyview will allow same mounting. I’m able to cover up some of the INOP panel switches not being used – no lights or AP. Heavy gage aluminum angle bracket is attached to bottom of instrument bay with Velcro and a single T-nut. A plastic shell salvaged from a cheap iPad carrying case is fastened to the aluminum angle with double-sided tape. The mini iPad pops in/out of the plastic shell just like a Ram mount. I have USB charger receptacle in place of the cigarette lighter and run a 1-meter cable along the floor, up thru the stick boot, and attach to the iPad with quick magnetic disconnect. If you happen to bump the wire getting in/out of the plane it simply falls off instead of ruining the iPad charging port.

I love this setup – viewing angle is perfect even in bright sunlight.

Last edited:
IPad Pro 9.7"

2qch6rk.jpg

This pic was first build. I have correct 9.7" EZ-roller mount now. My pic was to prove in direct sunlight flying, it works very well.

Don't plan on it being available on startup if you leave it in the cockpit when parked. iPads will overheat very easily compared with avionics built for the environment.

I pop mine out of the holder and tuck it under the seat cushion. Also leave the canopy in the open taxi position if security is not a problem. iPad ready to go even after lengthy pancake breakfast...

I've got mine setup like you describe - in a 9A, not a 12. I used a fixed ball mount and have USB power one the panel just below the mount. I think I have a 4" arm (RAM medium). I don't mind the location too much, I planned it to not block anything critical. My passengers probably don't like it much as it takes up their space. I find it a good viewing and operating position. YMMV in the 12, but it's likely similar.

Foreflight is a great addition to the cockpit.

Back