What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much epoxy should I get?

Davepar

Well Known Member
I've seen everyone's recommendations on the West System epoxy. Do I need a gallon of the resin and quart of hardener? Or are the smaller sizes enough? I'm just planning on doing the usual canopy fairing, empennage tip fitting, fixing the horz induction snorkel, etc.

Also, I'll probably be using it mostly this winter when the garage is 60ish degrees. So I'm guessing the faster hardener is the best choice. The slow hardener calls for 60 degrees minimum.

Thanks,
Dave

Epoxy

I got a gallon/quart of the west systems epoxy, and I think it will be enough. I'm not yet finished, but I think I've only used about 25% of each, judging from the feel of the cans. I'll bet you could get by with less. You might want to start with a 1.2 quart kit, and see how fast it goes. Since you are in the US the hazmat charges won't be a big deal. For me they were huge, so I didn't want to pay multiple times.

There's a West Marine about 1/2 mile from where I work, so it's really easy to avoid haz/mat charges. :D

Epoxy needed

Holy Sh*t guys, what are you doing with the epoxy? I did the empennage glass on two RV's including filling in the channels of the elevator, stabilizer, rudder and vertical fin and lower glass. Also custom fit the prototype RV7 fairing from Bobs Fairings, the lower cowl glass snoot for the airbox, built a glass plenum for the oil cooler and various other miscellaneous stuff and used just over a quart. Actually, probably didn't even use a quart because I used quite a bit on two Giant Scale RC aerobatic planes. If nearly a gallon is being used considerable unneccesary weight is being added.

I'll write up my process and post on building tips section of the list. Everybody makes a big deal of glass but with some guidance it is very easy to get excellent results without gaining any significant weight.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Guidance

I'll write up my process and post on building tips section of the list. Everybody makes a big deal of glass but with some guidance it is very easy to get excellent results without gaining any significant weight.
That would be great. I know what I'm doing with all the epoxy - I'm sanding it off!

I've got a couple of videos, which helped some, and I went to some of the workshops at SNF and OSH, but I'd really love to get some more training and tips and tricks on how to work with this stuff. I really can't believe that people who build plastic airplanes ever get finished. They must be doing something different.

I find that I put too much on, then spend days sanding it all off. It ain't fun, and now I believe I have "fiberglass elbow" from all the sanding! Not to mention having to wear a respirator for hours at a time.

Davepar said:
I've seen everyone's recommendations on the West System epoxy. Do I need a gallon of the resin and quart of hardener? Or are the smaller sizes enough? I'm just planning on doing the usual canopy fairing, empennage tip fitting, fixing the horz induction snorkel, etc.

Also, I'll probably be using it mostly this winter when the garage is 60ish degrees. So I'm guessing the faster hardener is the best choice. The slow hardener calls for 60 degrees minimum.
Thanks,
Dave
We happen to have a West Marine nearby and I purchase both the resin and hardener by the quart as required. West also carries and I highly recommend the use of their calibrated pumps which replace the screw tops on the cans and with one squirt of each, makes mixing the epoxy in the proper proportions just too easy. Using the pumps, you will find the resin supply exhausts much faster than the hardener. For that reason, I would suggest you initially purchase 2 quart cans of 105 resin and one quart can of the 206 hardener. This is enough epoxy to last you quite awhile. Even though the 206 is labeled "slow", you will find it sets up just fine in 24 hours even at 60 degrees.
img0002354sg.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
epoxy

I have been using the slow hardener. When the weather isn't quite warm enough, gentle application of heat from a heat gun(don't melt the fiberglass) will accelerate the cure.

Back