What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

manual elevator trim

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Bill has a nice labeled button for the trim.repucci trim button

Since I've been dinking around on the lathe, I started thinking of making a new knob to replace the big black elevator knob. looking at it, it appears to be plastic and pressed onto the shaft.

Anyone out there ever cut the black portion off? I want to cut it off or at least turn it down and install a new aluminum knob in its place.

cut the black plastic knob off my trim cable a few days ago. Today after work I put the finishing touches my new aluminum knob. Here's a pic or two along with my aileron trim lever.

RV7371.jpg

RV7369.jpg

I'll probably eliminate the black "hold/release" piece also.

Brian, The hold and release knob increases the friction. If you remove it your trim won't hold a setting. I have mine fairly tight and it works great. Don

Sorry, guess i was misleading with the word, eliminate. I should have said replace.... I'll make an aluminum one. the black pieces just look bulky and out of place. plus I have a bunch of extra AL.:D

Brian,

Those look great! It makes me wish I had the tools you have to do such work.

Last edited:
Just Wondering

Just Wondering if anyone has adapted a Cessna style trim wheel to their RV. I am planing on building a console and thought a inline style wheel would work better. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Hmmmm...could a guy buy some of these?

Brian,

Are you considering marketing either of your new creations?

The aileron trim looks like an easy plug and play piece, and much nicer than the thin stock handle.

On the elvator trim, how's it feel compared to the stock handle with the bumps...any slipping, or do the holes make it easy to grab and turn? How hard was the replacement of the original (need to go look at mine today to see how it's attached).

Nice work, and please let us potential buyers know if you start up Hydroguy2 Unlimited Aerosports to sell them! :D

And Bill R, also wondering where the El Trim label-button insert came from. The combo of your button and Brian's Ail trim is pretty inviting at the moment.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Bob

Brian,

Are you considering marketing either of your new creations?.........

.....On the elvator trim, how's it feel compared to the stock handle with the bumps...any slipping, or do the holes make it easy to grab and turn? How hard was the replacement of the original (need to go look at mine today to see how it's attached).
.........Bob

I have commited to making a few aileron trim levers to test the waters. not sure if I need another job.;) but maybe.

Haven't tested the elevator trim yet. Seems easy to grip. Replacement required, seperating the cable and knob then sawing most the black knob piece off, without ruining the shaft. Next was a little file/sander work and I ended up with a shaft with knurling intact. The new AL knob was sized for a press fit over the knurled portion. Actually pretty easy....now that it's done. The next one would go 3x faster.

I'd be in now for an aileron trim if you take on the second job ;). Might be a little shy on pulling apart the elevator trim...need to fly after several months down for a panel project (gotta re-energize the bride's enthusiasm!) :)

Lemme know if you want "beta-testers" (will buy it first!)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Bob

Back