What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Confessions of a Cheapskate

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
I love to go cheap when I can and it doesn't compromise safety. Today my savings took a hit. I used some HF Copper washers on the last oil change that were close in size for the drain plug and mag plug. Let's just say a little oil makes a big mess. Not a safety impact, but I had to wipe up some oil. I got away with it on three previous oil changes. Just thought I would pass it on to save somebody else a cleanup, so no chest thumping "only use OEM parts" if you please. I continue to cherish "EXPERIMENTAL".

We all are Cheapstakes, Rich!
To wit: we paid only 75 Grants for a plane that's worth 130 Grants.
You don't get cheaper than that!

Kyle,

A weeping drain plug due to an imperfect crush is hardly a safety issue. You'd grow old waiting for a noticeable change in oil level. With torque and safety wire the plug isn't going anywhere. I just posted it as a heads up to anyone who might be considering the HF option.

Rich

Speaking of crush washers, I was advised by the ROTAX rep (Lockwood Aviation) that the open side of the spec crush washer should face the tank.

Additionally, make sure the crush washer is centered, as best as possible.

After a recent oil change by Wild Air Aviation (Lakeland, FL), I discovered and confirmed an oil seep was coming from my drain plug. On further inspection and subsequent removal of the plug, I found the crush washer offset from being centered, all the way to one side. I suspect that had something to do with the oil seep.

I replaced the crush washer with a new one, and making sure it was centered, with open side up against the tank and torqued I.A.W. the line maint manual.

Leak gone.
Lesson learned.

What I do - -

As I often say, I put Locktit Blue on everything except Ice Cream. I wipe off the plug, and threads in base with starting fluid on a rag. Put two drops of 'blue' next to the washer and re-use the washer ( over and over ). Don't over-tighten it. No leaks - not even a film.

The HF assortment has one too small to fit over the plug and the next size up about 1mm too big. I think the reason it seeped this time is it was a little off center. However, it was such a pain to fix and cleanup that I'll stick to the ones the ROTAX elves make. I'd estimate that I lost a tablespoon of oil in a 2 hour flight. I also forgot to mention that there was a definite smell of burning oil due to the drops that hit the exhaust. Once repaired the smell was not present on the next flight.

The "cheapskate" issue really isn't about the fact that there are some things that can be done more efficiently. It's about what items you pick. Using plain old hardware to mount a portable GPS in the cabin... No big deal. Using a washer that might be so so on an oil tank, could be questionable.

Here is a scenario :
Forced landing onto a road and you end up hitting a couple vehicles. No one is really hurt but there is plenty of $$$ damages to go around. The NTSB starts looking around and behold a non aviation grade washer was used on the oil tank which failed causing the engine to seize. Now. Bring in the insurance company. They look at what the NTSB discovers and won't pay out due to "non approved" parts. Even though it's "EXPERIMENTAL". now. How much has that washer cost the operator.

Yep. That is pretty far out there. Could it happen. Anything is possible. The bigger point of view is that the "Experimental" aircraft community is already being watched by the public. Anytime there is an incident the media is quick to point out it was a home built airplane. Now we all know that many of these homebuilts are just as good if not better than a factory built. The public does not. Let's be diligent about how we project ourselves and what we put in our aircraft.

Comments like "getting by with it" and "a warning to others" is not very settling to read.

Worth a watch

http://youtu.be/2EaZdeTERjY

Last edited:
Charles,

The pledge was a tip I found here on the forums. Pledge has the same ingredients as plexus only with a lemon scent ! It works as well as the plexus and is about 18$ cheaper.

Thanks for the tip, I am gong to have to put the bottle side by side and look at the ingredients to see, but that would be a lot cheaper.

In my experience over the years cheap never equals least expensive. You get what you pay for!

George

Yes, there is cheap and there is thrifty. I still trim my lawn with a 1962 Lawnboy mower. Starts first pull. Just replace the lower crank seal regularly so it won't suck dirt in the bearings, clear the carbon from the ports, and it just runs and runs. . . . .

I purchase a car based on expected cost per mile. When it meets the goal, it is sold and the cycle begins again. No compromises, I fix what breaks. Cheap tires cost more than better brands on sale. YMMV ;)

Never heard of using pledge on your wind shield. How many use it.

The glider community has used pledge on those rather expensive canopies for over 30 yrs, maybe 40 yrs. We preferred the "original" pledge but is doesn't seem much available today. The only advantage of the original was that it seemed to leave less smearing, i.e. easier to wipe clean. We never had crazing or other types of problems with the canopies. I personally had a ship with the same canopy for more than 30 yrs always cleaned with Pledge.

Another bit of info that may help troubleshooting for leaks: The tank drain plug weep migrated along the firewall to the gap between the lower cowling and fuselage to leave a streak down the side of the fuselage. The weep from the magnetic plug moved down and around the filter gasket to the bottom of the engine where some hit the muffler causing the odor. The rest moved back and out the bottom of the cowl leaving a streak on the belly.

ProtectAll - Great Stuff

Well, this thread has sorta morphed, but hey I'm going with it. A few years ago, I asked a friend of mine how he kept his plane so shiny. I said, "You must wash this thing all the time." He said, "Nope, I never wash it!" It was a 1946 Globe Swift and it was gorgeous. He said he used a product called ProtectAll. He said it was good for everything, paint, plexi, etc. I've used it on all my RVs and it is truly awesome stuff. So, where can you find it? It's in the RV section at Walmart, not even kidding. Try it, you'll like it, I promise. The bottle doesn't always spray well, but the product is still great.

http://www.protectall.com

Cheers,

Dennis W. Millsap
A&P
RV-6A N464DM Built and Sold
RV-10 N766LM Built and Sold
RV-12 N241DM Still Flying

Back