What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Noise

jsenft

Well Known Member
I attached my rudder cable today. When I moved the rudder from right to left stop, the rudder made a loud rubbing noise. I narrowed it down to the tube moving back and forth through the snap bushing in the empennage. Is this sound normal?

I have noticed the same, by happenstance. I rarely test the controls and exercise rudder with the engine off. With the engine off; in exercising the rudder from stop to stop the noise was noticeable. Was done with pressure on both pedals to keep both cables taut.

As such, I removed the baggage bulkhead panel and determined the rubbing noise was coming from the right ruder cable rubbing on the bottom of the plastic bushing in this bulkhead. Checked the bushing surface where the cable rests with my fingernail and found no wear.

Had others do the same, and half hear the rubbing noise and half do not. Changed my checklist!

Jim........ did you find the same or something different, your post is not detailed enough for me to understand.

Last edited:
I also think it is extra loud because the empennage acts as a megaphone. Are other hearing the same noise and is this normal?

Jim

Only 25 hours into Phase One, but this rudder cable noise is noticeable with the engine off. Suspect it is normal. No noticeable wear on the bushings yet. Doesn't appear to crate much friction.
- Roger

If you're concerned about wear on the bushings, you can get next smaller size bushing, slice it to fit over the cable, and insert it into the existing bushing. This would give you twice the material for the cable to wear through. Just a thought.

Back