What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Nav lights won't work

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Looking for some troubleshooting ideas. My strobes and landing light (steady and flashing) both work fine, but the nav lights won't work, either with or without strobes. My plane has both the Skyview conversion harness and the updated wing connectors, so that may be a factor, although I worked through the instructions pretty carefully.

Tracing the wiring diagram, it looks like the Skyview wiring takes power for both the strobes and nav lights from pin 34 (Strobe Power) of the Optional harness, via pin 13 (Strobe) of the 25 pin Optional connector and the B184 Nav/Strobe/Power wire. On the other hand, the original D180 L439 Nav Power wire coming from pin 33 of the Options harness (supposedly yellow/red, but actually white in my case), appears to be redundant in the Skyview installation. I have cut and capped those wires anyway. Has anyone else struck this problem? I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have the original D-180 wiring. So all I have to go by is Van's schematic (after 08-25-2011). According to that, wire L439 powers the Nav lights. There is an easy way to find out. Connect a 12 volt test light to wire L439 and turn the Nav lights on and watch the test light. If it lights up, then that is the wire that should go to the wing connectors.

Thanks Joe. This is a good example of where the conversion harness instructions can be confusing, despite Van's best efforts. The schematic does show the split L439 wires going to pin 6 of each of the fuselage side wing connectors.

However, at the top of page 42D-23 (Skyview Update Instructions) there is this note:
"Note: This page is intended for builders who have completed the steps marked D-180 EFIS in section 31A Wing Electrical Interconnect Udate, page 31A-08. If Section 31A was completed with the intent of updating your system directly to Skyview (Page 31A-08 steps marked SV-D1000 EFIS), then ignore the steps on this page"

Not having completed the D-180 steps at the time I installed the new wing connectors, and intending to upgrade directly to Skyview, I ignored the instructions on page 42D-23, one of which does say to connect the split L439 wires to the fuselage connectors at pin 6. I'll try your suggestion, which makes good sense as usual. That may well be the problem, although if so, I don't understand why B184 would be called Nav/Strobe Power if we still need the L439 (Nav Power) wires connected. For those who installed the conversion harness, what did you do with the L439 wire?

Initially the nav and strobe lights were on at the same time, there was no possibility to choose between nav only and nav/strobes together. The wire powering the nav/strobes was the B184. With Skyview + new wing connectors we now have the possibility to turn on only the nav lights. For that the extra wire was installed -> L439. The old B184 powers the strobe, the L439 the nav lights. So you need the L439 in position 6.

Thanks Joeri, much appreciated. I even knew about the change in the switch function, but still got it wrong! Good thing I left L439 coiled up out of the way, just in case. Sounds like a simple fix (my favourite type).

Now why won't the spar pin panel light go out when I know the pin reed switches worked perfectly (well, I eventually got them working) when I first installed them .... about two years ago. Just working through the frustrating last 1% of the build before I finally get this plane in the air.

Last edited:
Just in case any others with the conversion harness run into this problem, run the wires as per Joeri's advice. The nav lights work fine now. :D

Last edited:
Back