What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Drill guide

bill v

Well Known Member
I have trouble when I have to drill a #19 or 3/16 hole using the hole in the front as a guide the front material is too thin to hold the drill. I made a tube to use as a guide and drill a 1/16 hole in the center of were I want the bigger hole seems to be the best way I have found. took a 3/16 rod drilled a 1/16 hole through it the long way (lathe) then turned the one end down to a #19 and cut it off at 1 inch. you put the tube in the hole in the front skin then drill through the center of the tube with a 1/16 drill then work the hole up to the correct size for me I go 1/16 then a 40 then 30 then 21 then ream #19. if I have a 3/16 hole I use the other end of the tube. also I have a .064 piece of scrap with a 3/16 hole in it around the tube to help keep the tube perpendicular

Brass tube

I have trouble when I have to drill a #19 or 3/16 hole using the hole in the front as a guide the front material is too thin to hold the drill. I made a tube to use as a guide and drill a 1/16 hole in the center of were I want the bigger hole seems to be the best way I have found. took a 3/16 rod drilled a 1/16 hole through it the long way (lathe) then turned the one end down to a #19 and cut it off at 1 inch. you put the tube in the hole in the front skin then drill through the center of the tube with a 1/16 drill then work the hole up to the correct size for me I go 1/16 then a 40 then 30 then 21 then ream #19. if I have a 3/16 hole I use the other end of the tube. also I have a .064 piece of scrap with a 3/16 hole in it around the tube to help keep the tube perpendicular

I don't have a lathe so...
I use three sections of brass tube. Smallest is perfect for #41 bit. Slide it into the next size up and slide that one into the next size up. Lube with some Boelube. Perfectly centered holes.

Back