What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need gasket sealer on Snorkle

sglynn

Well Known Member
Do I need to use any gasket sealer when putting my snorkle onto the horizontal induction for the last time? I've got a dry gasket from Van's. Snorkle is done and ready to go on the engine. Nearing completion.

So do I just use the dry gasket? Or do I need to add some sealant?

thanks

thin layer of grease

I'm sure someone will chime in with the official answer, but I'd just use a very thin layer of grease or vaseline. The goal of that gasket is to keep dirty air out, which is quite easy even with the dry gasket, but a bit of grease will reduce the chance that the gasket will stick and tear when you remove it.

Instructions say to drill a small hole in the lowest point of the snorkel to allow water to drain. Seems kinda pointless to strive for a complete airtight seal and then drill a hole! :p

Snorkle gasket seal

How about a sniffle valve at the low point of the snorkle? I have no gasket or hole in my snorkle and have no elevated silicon levels in my oil samples. Snorkle did split at the seam after 1000 hours. A few rivits and more glass & resin fixed it. Inspected at each cowl removal.

Back