Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
It has been brought up that breaking out a canopy set in Sika could be much more difficult. Anyone with this experience?
I would suspect that if it goes upside down, the canopy is going to break, regardless of how it is fastened to the airframe. Once it is cracked, kicking the rest of it out isn't going be that difficult.

One thing that I noticed that some people do on this forum is to pack some type of canopy breaking tool. I would suspect that if you are upside down, hanging from your harness, or if you have released your harness and are scrunched up in the cockpit, on your knees, you will not have the room to swing a hammer/hatchet/whatever with enough force to break out your canopy and that the only tool that will really work is your foot.

Thoughts?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-16-2015, 08:36 AM

In my 6 nothing fancy, just a ball-peen hammer velcroed between the seats next to the fire extinguisher.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 AM

Default Brakeout hammer

I was thinking a eye screw in the bottom of the handle and a foot of string.Your hammer will be hanging mid air,right when you need it.
RHill
Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
I was thinking a eye screw in the bottom of the handle and a foot of string.Your hammer will be hanging mid air,right when you need it.
RHill
I'm not sure I want something swing around in my cockpit. In the event of an accident, that could be the item that comes loose and kills you. (Then again, I never secure anything in my baggage compartment.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 AM

Default Movable object

I responded to an accident where the truck ran off the road and hit a ditch. Minimal damage to truck and occupant was wearing a seatbelt. It looked very survivable but truck owner failed to secure the toolbox in the bed behind the cab and the subsequent head injury was fatal. Unsecured objects not good. Bill, secure your stuff. 😄

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Built & Flying
Twin Comanche Flying
RV-10 Thinking about it...
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I would suspect that if it goes upside down, the canopy is going to break, regardless of how it is fastened to the airframe. Once it is cracked, kicking the rest of it out isn't going be that difficult.

One thing that I noticed that some people do on this forum is to pack some type of canopy breaking tool. I would suspect that if you are upside down, hanging from your harness, or if you have released your harness and are scrunched up in the cockpit, on your knees, you will not have the room to swing a hammer/hatchet/whatever with enough force to break out your canopy and that the only tool that will really work is your foot.

Thoughts?
The comparison is Plexiglass will fracture around rivets and break away. Sika will hold on to every inch of perimeter. So you might break out the plexiglass but might not get it to peel away.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2017 (my reminder)
Old 10-21-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I'm not sure I want something swing around in my cockpit. In the event of an accident, that could be the item that comes loose and kills you. (Then again, I never secure anything in my baggage compartment.)
Good point,It's a half baked idea.Maybe on a hinge holder or clip.Point is there is not a lot of space,time to react if your upside down and no one is around to help you out.Odds are good the canopy will brake regardless of attachment type.having a tool where and when you need it.... Fuel leaking out thru the vent lines is a huge concern.Anybody have any thoughts on a way to prevent that?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Smile

This is a new wrinkle to the situation of being upside down in an RV7A slider.
I have done it, not proud, and it was not fun. I was not hurt. Thank God. Canopy cracked and opened a hole for me to crawl out.

When I got out I did notice that fuel was flowing very slowly out of the fuel vents. Fuel flowed and evaporated almost as fast as it came out. No dead grass on the runway.

Another issue I thought was interesting. The battery was dead short circuited.
What happened when it went upside down, the battery went upside down, slide and the + and - were connected. The battery went dead almost immediately.
This I thought was a good thing, maybe it prevented a fire?

Tip-up or Slider in a up-side down situation? For me, I would take a slider any day. But truthful, it may depend upon the crash circumstances.
I would rather not be upside down at all.
Dave
Old 12-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Added Safety!!!!

....Irrespective of the style or type of canopy, its a good idea to have one of our Anti-Splat-Aero "SNAPPER" canopy tools on board in an easily accessible area. The canopy almost always breaks on flip-overs. People all say the problem is the sharp shards of plastic that are almost impossible to break or remove by hand. This little tool will easily snap off these shards to facilitate a speedy exit. It also is designed to open your gas caps with ease. Using it for this purpose will keep you accustomed to grabbing it from its chosen location, should it be needed in an emergency. This is very inexpensive insurance and at only an ounce its not like carrying a hammer or axe as an escape tool. Have a look on our website with complete details if interested. Thanks, Allan....
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 12-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Allan, I ordered one of your "snapper" tools. It arrived last week and I took it to the hangar yesterday. The tool I received looks similar to your pictures, but not the same. Mine has two notches in the end and are at somewhat different angles. Just saying...
flying