What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you explore the flight envelope of your new RV?

Did you explore aft CG/gross weight handling in your RV in a test flight(s)?

• I built my RV, and I explored aft CG/weight combinations during phase one

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • I built my RV, and I did not explore non-typical CG/weight combinations

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • I purchased my RV, and I explored aft CG/weight combinations during phase one

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • I purchased my RV, and I did not explore non-typical CG/weight combinations

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I like bacon.

Votes: 16 20.3%

• Total voters

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
So the thread about a landing incident at Oshkosh is super interesting from several aspects. One in particular is the discussion around how our stubby-winged aircraft handle differently at higher AoA and weights.

During phase one testing, that portion of the flight envelope should be explored in some detail. Indeed, I had a couple of cards devoted to it. However, phase one typically applies only to the original builder. Does transition training touch on it?

The transition training I received didn't explore this area of the envelope, but it did equip me for doing so. I'm wondering how many purchasers (vs. builders) have explored their RV's envelope?

A perfect opportunity to take advantage of the grossly underused EAA Flight Advisor Program.

A perfect opportunity to take advantage of the grossly underused EAA Flight Advisor Program.

YES! I found it amazingly helpful; many thanks to Mike Hilger who acted as both my tech counselor and flight advisor!

I haven't but then I just bought my RV-8. However I do have the book:

Flight Testing Homebuilt Aircraft

by Askue, Vaughan

I'm studying the book and starting to plan a flight test program. Not because the plane is in any Phase like Phase 1 but because I want to thoroughly understand my airplane.

I've given some transition training in my RV, and concentrate on slow flight, steep turns, stalls, and power off landings. Most homebuilts, like RVs, have 'simple' wings (no washout, no taper, no airfoil changes) which have 'sharper' stall characteristics than most certified planes. Crossed control stalls are often rather eye opening :eek:
Flying at various CG positions depends on the plane. Some, like mine (side by side) are difficult to load to the CG limits (without exceeding a weight limitation). Getting to gross weight is easy, so that is definitely done.

Even though I have 1500+ hrs in my RV, every year before Osh I go up with the airplane "loaded to the gills" but without the wife. I do an hour or two of flying around at 70-80 knots following some local railroad tracks at 1K AGL, I also throw in some stalls for good measure. I do this just to brush up on my own slow flying skills as they do tend to get rusty. I encourage the folks that go in our group do the same prior to the trip.

Should option three read "I purchased my RV, and I explored aft CG/weight combinations during phase TWO" rather than phase one?

If so, that's me. I didn't put the plane back into phase one.

Walt,

I agree except I do it much higher! I fly to 3000 and set the altitude to zero, then continue up until the altitude reads 1700 ft. (Our local pattern altitude) The reason for this is that when I do the slow speed cross control stalls, the loss of altitude reminds me why I don't want to do it for real that close to the ground:eek: Spend a lot of time doing very slow flat 90 degree turns to final.

I try to request 36 just to keep the "look" as normal as possible.

I hope I'm misunderstanding something here.

Walt,
I agree except I do it much higher! I fly to 3000 and set the altitude to zero, then continue up until the altitude reads 1700 ft. (Our local pattern altitude) The reason for this is that when I do the slow speed cross control stalls, the loss of altitude reminds me why I don't want to do it for real that close to the ground:eek: Spend a lot of time doing very slow flat 90 degree turns to final.
I try to request 36 just to keep the "look" as normal as possible.

Please do NOT do "flat" turns. Especially at low speeds and pattern altitudes. Keep all turns coordinated.

Mel,

Is there a Flight Advisor in my area you could recommend? I'm near Sacramento California.

I've been adding weight in the back of my new to me RV-8 a little at a time and exploring a bit to see how the plane behaves. It would be great to have someone with experience to provide advise, make good suggestions.

My plan right now is to increase the weight to rear CG. That and get 40 hours before taking up a passenger who is within a weight range I've experienced (without exceeding max gross or CG).

Walt,

Sorry, bad choice of terms. What I meant to say is a coordinated turn but without loosing any altitude. an essential Oshkosh maneuver in congestion.

Back