What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BFR Musings...

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Doesn't matter how old you are or how much flying time logged, everyone gets a review every two years unless you are employed and have regular check rides.

I had one yesterday as it is due soon.

A most notable thing right off was how different the 8 felt with CFI in back seat. I don't often give rides due to my age and exposing a none pilot to the obvious risk.

But I got used to the slightly more aft cg quick. Did some steep turns, slow flight, stalls with and without flaps, found a landing spot with simulated engine out and shot 4 landings, all without wrecking airplane or scaring CFI too much.:)

Have log book signed off and good for 2 more years.

It was a good review...thank you Frank Baldwin.

The advise I received from a few experienced pilots: "don't scare the examiner and you'll be fine."

Last edited:
Do people find it difficult to arrange for an examiner to give you the BFR in the -8 if the examiner is not familiar with -8's?

Are full dual controls a must for a BFR?

Thanks!

I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable doing the BFR. I'm always afraid I'm going to embarrass myself and it feels like it's self fulfilling prophecy. I dread them.

Honestly, I wish flight reviews were harder, or at least more challenging. I've done a few, and all but one consisted of a bunch of questions over airspace rules followed by an hour of instruction in an airplane I've never flown before. The flight was just flying to another airport and landing a couple times. I spent most of each one just trying to keep up with the airplane (different systems, different handling) and remembering how to fly a nosewheel.

What I'd really like would be to either get a new rating, or more affordably, find someone really good to wring me out on challenging, unusual, or new stuff. It might be easier to do that once I have my project flying.

Do people find it difficult to arrange for an examiner to give you the BFR in the -8 if the examiner is not familiar with -8's?

Are full dual controls a must for a BFR?

Thanks!

As a cfii I'll give Flight Reviews (nee BFR) in an unfamiliar airplane, but only if the pilot is fully current (Flight review not yet expired) and willing and able to act as PIC throughout the flight.
Yes, full dual controls are required. A throw-over yoke may be used under some circumstances but obviously that doesn't work in an -8.

Honestly, I wish flight reviews were harder, or at least more challenging. g.

Speak up! The FARs mandate some things, but in general a Flight Review can be tailored to your interest. I always ask pilots if there is anything in particular that they'd like to do. The cfi is to 'observe and critique' the pilot. If you hold a private license but want to try a commercial maneuver, no one will expect you to perform to commercial standards.

You might want to consider doing a BFR 1 year and an IPC (assuming IFR rating) the next year. I have several friends that are CFIs and they are more than happy to make it a challenge. Especially if they get to fly in an RV...:cool:

-Marc

Three years ago I did it in my -8 which was fine, more of a demo ride for the RV experienced CFI. Last year I went up with factory trainer Mike Seager in the -7. I asked and received spin training plus the usual flight check. This was much more useful, and fun! I highly recommend!

My CFII knows that I fly about 100 hours a year, so its usually just to satisfy the FAA. What I like about him is he is a no non-sense kinda guy. He doesn't try to make me do something that I'll never use and doesn't ask me questions about useless ****. What he does that I really enjoy is teach me at least 2 or 3 things that I didn't know - on every flight, not just BFRs.

I went up yesterday with him, not because I needed an IPC, but because I wanted to shoot some approaches in actual, and hadn't done any in 3 months. He taught me some nice tricks on my GNS-430.

I like guys that you can always learn something from.

I'm just trying to think what would fall into the category of things you'd never use or useless **** on a BFR?

I can't think of anything for regular, old VFR pilots. I assume these are unlikely-to-happen IFR scenarios?

I'm just trying to think what would fall into the category of things you'd never use or useless **** on a BFR?

I can't think of anything for regular, old VFR pilots. I assume these are unlikely-to-happen IFR scenarios?

Well, there's lots of technical stuff in the AIM, for one. I often fly with engineer-types, and they're all interested to know how a VOR signal actually works. But I also fly with non-technical pilots, and that sort of stuff just makes their eyes glaze over!

Here's one: Why is Va lower at lower weights?

A friend mentioned this to me as a question that not everyone was aware of. I made the mistake of mentioning it to a CFI I was flying with who, of course, asked me "So why is Va lower at lower weights".

Me: "Manuvering speed is lower at lower weights because it takes less energy to accelerate smaller mass. A common misconception is that this is oriented around max elevator deflection and wing strength but in fact applies to any control surface and then only a single deflection - witness the Airbus crash that originated with a rudder doublet. Additionally, Va can also be thought of as corner speed: Vc. This is the speed at which you obtain the best turning performance without over-stressing the aircraft structure. Few piston aircraft can sustain Vc at a given weight as they simply lack the power required to do so, so Vc therefore becomes a consideration primarily when considering instantaneous turn performance as a sustained turn will exhaust the available energy (in either kinetic or potential form) if continued. A perfect example of this would be an engagement between..."

CFI:"Got it - thanks. Sorry I asked."

What I'd really like would be to either get a new rating, or more affordably, find someone really good to wring me out on challenging, unusual, or new stuff. It might be easier to do that once I have my project flying.

I've got a whole bunch of fun and challenging maneuvers that will command your full attention. Lemme know when you want to go.

Ed

Honestly, I wish flight reviews were harder, or at least more challenging.

I agree with Bob Turner. Tell 'em what you want. I got my seaplane rating back in May, so did not need a Flight Review last month when it normally would have been done. However, I needed an IPC, so I told the CFII (a good friend and one of the most competent and thorough instructors I have ever flown with) that I wanted to take the IPC and also might as well reset the clock on the Flight Review. So, we did just that. Flew 1.8 hours and most of it was under the hood. That was what I really needed. A good CFI should be able to tailor your Flight Review to your needs.

Back