What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would you do? Guidance please.

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
About three weeks from starting a major re-wire job on the 8. Including a new panel, and some other goodies. Included are a new set of AeroLed's all the way around.

I am in the process of getting everything in line before the airplane goes to the shop. So I purchased a lighting kit from a retailer that shall remain nameless, honestly I have not contacted them yet, and I have nothing negative toward them.

When I received the kit and opened it, I noticed that the AeroLed seal that keeps the box closed was broken and was taped closed with scotch type tape.

Upon opening the box, I found an invoice to another named customer. When I removed the foam cover I noticed that none of the lighting units had any plastic bag or protection of any kind. Maybe they didn't come from the factory with it either, but that seems odd. Further inspection revealed that the wire ends on some of the units were frayed as if someone had maybe thought about installing and then obviously decided to return.

As you all know this is a pretty expensive kit. I will contact the retailer tomorrow. I have returned stuff before and paid the restocking fee etc. . . Am I making too big a deal, should I just keep the lights and see if they are good? I know when a big brand computer retailer gets a return, they can't hold the product up as new when they re-sale it. Aircraft lights?

Thanks for the input.

It?s not a big deal to them, but it is for you. If you had paid half price for them, maybe you would not be bothered. I would have them replaced. If they offer a discount, and it all works, well than that could also work for you...

About three weeks from starting a major re-wire job on the 8. Including a new panel, and some other goodies. Included are a new set of AeroLed's all the way around.

I am in the process of getting everything in line before the airplane goes to the shop. So I purchased a lighting kit from a retailer that shall remain nameless, honestly I have not contacted them yet, and I have nothing negative toward them.

When I received the kit and opened it, I noticed that the AeroLed seal that keeps the box closed was broken and was taped closed with scotch type tape.

Upon opening the box, I found an invoice to another named customer. When I removed the foam cover I noticed that none of the lighting units had any plastic bag or protection of any kind. Maybe they didn't come from the factory with it either, but that seems odd. Further inspection revealed that the wire ends on some of the units were frayed as if someone had maybe thought about installing and then obviously decided to return.

As you all know this is a pretty expensive kit. I will contact the retailer tomorrow. I have returned stuff before and paid the restocking fee etc. . . Am I making too big a deal, should I just keep the lights and see if they are good? I know when a big brand computer retailer gets a return, they can't hold the product up as new when they re-sale it. Aircraft lights?

Thanks for the input.

It'not your order..... Call, they will make it right.

Should have been more clear on that. . . the invoice inside was from October 2019. I am guessing this individual was the original owner and returned them.

And man were these things cheaper last year. :eek:

Some times a shop takes returns and it get's mixed up and sent it back out without reprocessing.

I ordered a light weight starter and when I got it the case was cracked from a kick back... They took it back.

I ordered a SlickStart module from Vans. What arrived was a factory-refurbished unit, yellow tag and all. I called. They apologized profusely for the mix-up, and offered me two options: keep the unit, for a reduced price, or (2) return it and they would send a new unit. I took option 1, they sent a check fir the overage. Very satisfied with the result.

How would you feel if you were the vendor instead of the customer?

Wouldn?t it have been more appropriate to talk to the vendor before starting this thread??

Last edited:
I guess you’re right Sam. Just thought I’d ask. I found most of the responses helpful. I thought maybe somebody else may have purchased the same kit and could confirm the packaging. I thought that is what we do here is ask for information.

With regards to the question in your subject line. I didn’t divulge the vendor, only the product. The manufacturer had nothing to do with the transaction except send it to the 3rd party vendor.

Gotta love the internet. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread.

Last edited:
Used New lights

If I pay full price, I expect brand new and would not tolerate a restocking fee.
If I get a deal, I plan and expect less.
I would call and discuss it.

I guess you’re right Sam. Just thought I’d ask. I found most of the responses helpful. I thought maybe somebody else may have purchased the same kit and could confirm the packaging. I thought that is what we do here is ask for information.

With regards to the question in your subject line. I didn’t divulge the vendor, only the product. The manufacturer had nothing to do with the transaction except send it to the 3rd party vendor.

Gotta love the internet. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread.

Jason, I agree the forum is a great resource. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to being too quick to launch a discussion that can be seen by the entire world without giving a vendor a chance to correct what was obviously an oversight. Glad my business career was pre-social media so my clients would call me with a question instead of reflexively grabbing a keyboard to vent to the world about a service question. It can be costly for a vendor to overcome undeserved bad press.

Common courtesy still gets good results when dealing with vendors. If a vendor doesn't offer a reasonable solution after repeated attempts.....then we would like to know about it. But I suspect your vendor will do the right thing. :)

Last edited:
Nah, I didn't see the OP venting, just asking for advise regarding what he perceived as a possible mistake. It's good that he mentioned the Price difference between the original receipt and the current price; The suggestion for the price to be lowered to the original sale price was excellent. I hope it works out for him.

-Marc

Jason, I agree the forum is a great resource. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to being too quick to launch a discussion that can be seen by the entire world without giving a vendor a chance to correct what was obviously an oversight. Glad my business career was pre-social media so my clients would call me with a question instead of reflexively grabbing a keyboard to vent to the world about a service question. It can be costly for a vendor to overcome undeserved bad press.

Common courtesy still gets good results when dealing with vendors. If a vendor doesn't offer a reasonable solution after repeated attempts.....then we would like to know about it. But I suspect your vendor will do the right thing. :)

Fair enough Sam. I thought I took great care in may original post not to mention the name of the retailer/vendor for the product. I believe that is actually a violation of the TOS for this website. This was not meant to take issue with them. I have no problem with them, and I'm sure they will take care of it. Just thought I'd ask. If they would like to offer me a nice discount and they and the manufacturer will stand behind the product for warranty purposes. . . then I don't have to pack everything up and go to the UPS store. A potential win for all. I guess I'll find out soon.

I can also appreciate your sensitivity of doing business in the age of social media. I too believe as you do that all too often people seek redress via complaining on the internet. I apologize if my original post came across as complaining about the vendor, not my intent. Although you would think after all these years and all the money I have spent there, they'd be kind enough to put my name on a parking stall and maybe a velvet rope around it. I am kidding of course, or am I? :)

Last edited:
Fair enough Sam. I thought I took great care in may original post not to mention the name of the retailer/vendor for the product. I believe that is actually a violation of the TOS for this website. This was not meant to take issue with them. I have no problem with them, and I'm sure they will take care of it. Just thought I'd ask. If they would like to offer me a nice discount and they and the manufacturer will stand behind the product for warranty purposes. . . then I don't have to pack everything up and go to the UPS store. A potential win for all. I guess I'll find out soon.

I can also appreciate your sensitivity of doing business in the age of social media. I too believe as you do that all too often people seek redress via complaining on the internet. I apologize if my original post came across as complaining about the vendor, not my intent. Although you would think after all these years and all the money I have spent there, they'd be kind enough to put my name on a parking stall and maybe a velvet rope around it. I am kidding of course, or am I? :)

Jason, it was indeed noted that you didn't name the vendor under discussion. Some of my post was of a general nature and not intended to be specific to your situation....my apologies if that was not clearly stated.

We look forward to seeing that you received a favorable outcome....maybe even a discount on parking. :)

Last edited:
Back