What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT, Dynon or MGL efis?

Deweyclawson

Well Known Member
I just purchased a 1993 RV6A with a basic IFR panel. I am going to completely redo the panel with an 60", flat screen plasma so I can watch the the Super Bowl in high def. oooppps. Wrong upgrade. :)

I am going to redo the RV6A panel with a 10.5" or 8.5" efis. Preferably the 10.5" but the MGL and GRT are about an inch bigger diagonally than the Dynon and I don't know if they will fit. If I choose the MGL, the 10.5" panel is due out in Jan, and the 8.5" is available now.

All 3 systems comparably equipped: efis, 2 axis auto pilot, knobs, basic eng monitor, ADSB in and out, all harnesses.

DYNON: $12,840
GRT: $10,925
MGL: $8497

Right now I think I have it between the GRT and MGL. The Dynon A/P does not track a glide slope, atificially created or otherwise, but seems comparrable to the other 2, otherwise.

So, Is the GRT $2500 better in the performance/operation or should I spend the $2500 on gas?

WHICH WOULD YOU BUY AND WHY????

The Dynon Autopilot does follow a glide slope that comes from an ILS receiver or a GPS navigator.

Buy the one that is prettiest :p

I've been on steam gauges and no autopilot for 8 years. That's the best way to pay for the fuel I've burned.

First off, welcome to VAF :D

This type question has been asked many times in the past.

Here are my observations from prior threads.

1. Most folks seem to recommend the unit they already have.

2. All the manufactures of the products you mentioned have folks here on VAF----and they may/will usually jump in on these threads to offer info or push their product.

3. Other vendors may may also jump in and say "hey, dont forget about our product" thus adding confusion to the question you asked.

4. You should----IMHO----go find an example of the units you are interested in, and see them in action for yourself.

I would suggest you consider which products are designed to play well with other items, vs. those who try to keep things limited to their own brand.

Good luck.

Last edited:
+1 for Mike's post; so, for the record, my primary system is a GRT HX.

If you're vfr only, buy what looks prettiest.
But for IFR:
1. You must have a backup, with it's own power source. Or are you planning on keeping a vacuum driven AI and analog ASI?
2. "Look" inside the boxes. It's hard to find this information. For example, the Dynon needs airspeed data (or as a backup gps data) to get its attitude solution, while the GRT does not. Is this acceptable to you?
3. MGL is in Africa, if a box needs to go back. Is that okay?
4. As Mike suggested, try to find someone with each system and play with it. Does the "look and feel" seem natural to you, or awkward? This is very personal which is why there are so many opinions!

Can you engage altitude hold without any horizontal hold on any of the major players EFIS integrated autopilots?

I would like to have altitude hold and to be able to adjust course with rudder. (for photo sessions where both my hands are busy if you must know my reason)

Not the answer to your exact question, but I use a GRT HX to control a Trio Pro, and yes, you can engage just one servo if that's your preference. (Having the non-EFIS autopilot gives added redundancy for IFR, as the Trio can run independent of the EFIS if need be.)

I've played with all of them and I prefer the (not listed in your choices) garmin g3x touch. I had a GRT sport sx and was going to put a g3x in it but decided to sell the plane instead.

Okay, I'll bite. I've done 3 MGL panels. You can download the templates to see if they fit. MGL USA is in California and has always been instantly responsive. I have sent in units for firmware and hardware repair. They have never charged me a dime beyond purchase price and turnarounds were fast. So, that answers that. The IEFIS system has been totally solid, so there's that. All the remote avionics interfaces including navworx seem to work and 430/530 integration works also. That gives you legal IFR. You'll have to make up your own mind on features.

Not enough info ...

Disclaimer: I have GRT equipment installed in two planes and have done some beta testing of some of their software.
=========

To answer your question objectively, I think we all need MORE info from you.

And, as has been mentioned, in the end, you need to take a look at all candidates and determine which one "feels right" for you.

If you say more about your flying requirements/desires as well as connectivity requirements, that might help.

All the major players make "good stuff". The determinating factor is sometimes something minor and sometimes it is "showstopper" item.

Be sure to take a "ride" with someone with a good installation of ALL of your candidates. ASk them to show you how they do certain things. See how logical it all seems to you.

Will gladly share my GRT experiences with you offline. I have flown with the Dynon (good stuff) but don't have enough experience to give proper comments. I have not flown with the MGL. (And although not mentioned, I have experienced both AFS and Garmin as well. But again, on these, others are better suited to comment).

You are getting a lot of good info. As another has stated, I also have a GRT HX with a Trio A/P. It's a great combination. I also have a small Dynon D-10A as a backup, with a battery. I like it, but you have to make up your own mind.
My big decision was made by the way each one does AoA. The Dynon uses the "stacking chevrons" that you see around a lot. I like it, and I use it. But the GRT HX has a unique "calculated" AoA that looks just like what I had in the Navy. I also have a manual AoA, but I'm a freak for AoA....
I recently flew an airplane with the AFS system. It's also great, but I had to do a little more squinting to read everything. It's also a little darker than I prefer, but hey! I haven't flown a Skyview, MGL, or Garmin, yet, but I hear great things about them, as well.
Find out where all the vendors will be next, and go there. Probably Sun 'n fun in early April. Look at all of them, and pick the prettiest one.

John

If you can wait til Sun n Fun (and attend Sun n Fun), you should go there and hit all the EFIS manufacturers. You should look closely at all their offerings, "press their buttons" and ask the sales and tech support people questions. In GRT's case, you can talk with the engineers who designed the systems and the techs you will be dealing with when you call for help.

Of the systems you've mentioned, I would prefer GRT. Their systems are very reliable and you'll get the most features for your money. (Disclaimer: I used to work there, but have no horse in the race anymore.)

If you can wait til Sun n Fun (and attend Sun n Fun), you should go there and hit all the EFIS manufacturers. You should look closely at all their offerings, "press their buttons" and ask the sales and tech support people questions. In GRT's case, you can talk with the engineers who designed the systems and the techs you will be dealing with when you call for help.

Of the systems you've mentioned, I would prefer GRT. Their systems are very reliable and you'll get the most features for your money. (Disclaimer: I used to work there, but have no horse in the race anymore.)

+1 as far as trying out the panels at Sun n Fun or OSH.
I ended up with a different company (not on your list) but agree this is a great way to make a choice.

I'll add, as I have on other threads like this, talk to someone who knows all 3 (or 4 or 5), and has no stake in what your choice will be. Each unit has their strong suit, and a salesperson for a company is going to try to convince you that you can't live without that feature or feature set. Touching a flying all of them is great, but talking through features is just as good or better sometimes. You will learn whichever you choose and will be a big proponent of it, most likely.

Can you engage altitude hold without any horizontal hold on any of the major players EFIS integrated autopilots?

Seems like it would be simple enough to put a switch on the power wire of the roll servo so you can have it on or off.

Seems like it would be simple enough to put a switch on the power wire of the roll servo so you can have it on or off.

With a TruTrak, you switch off the torque control wire, I believe, to disable that axis.

Yes. Probably possible on all

I would like to have altitude hold and to be able to adjust course with rudder. (for photo sessions where both my hands are busy if you must know my reason)

On GRT: A/P Servo PIN #5 to ground via momentary/pushbutton switch.
On Dynon: Lots of flexibility with their A/P control "modules", as I recall on a previous installation of mine (but "dynonsupport" can give specific details on the various ones).

You can engage only one axis on SkyView if you wish with no extra wiring or work-arounds. You don't need our button module to do it.

While I don't often use this, it is a great feature. Usually I use it to hold altitude while I am sightseeing. It's nice to have the AP hold 1,000 feet while I fly where I feel like flying without worrying about altitude.

For auto pilots that don't have a mode to climb based on airspeed, it can be nice to just turn on the lateral control and trim for climb based on Vy, so on. Of course, the Skyview will let you climb based on IAS, as most EFIS-based auto pilots can.

One quick correction to what is a long list of excellent information provided already.

With respect to the GRT Angle of Attack (AoA) function, the basic EFIS system is capable of providing an AoA indication based on "derived" or "calculated" AoA. One can pay a few extra bucks to get a third air pressure sensor installed in the new Adaptive AHARS, thus upgrading you from "derived" to "sensed" AoA. I've gone this route and, while not flying yet, am looking forward to seeing it work.

Having been flying behind a legacy Dynon product for about 8 years, all I can say about my Dynon is that it's as solid as a rock. I'd love to comment on Dynon's customer service but haven't had to call upon it yet. I'm truly impressed with their product and, if I were building a net-new instrument panel today I would have a very difficult time choosing an EFIS vendor.

I agree that the modern EFIS systems are pretty reliable - my GRT HX is stalwart. My Dynon D-10A is my backup, and I love the battery power backup it has.
As far as flying in altitude hold only, what's the issue? With my Trio, I can engage either servo, or both. I presume folks are talking about the autopilots that are integrated into the EFIS.
Concerning AoA, I understand that my version of GRT is "derived" - I still love it. My Dynon has the "stacking chevrons", and my third is strictly manual - a round dial on my glareshield.
I'm sure that I'm drifting off thread, but I have always thought that mixing brands is a prudent way to go. A single point failure is usually not catastrophic.

John

Thank You

A big THANKS to all those who replied. A lot of good info and a lot that I had not previously considered. Special Thanks to Jesse Saint and James Clark who went the extra mile to spend a couple hours on the phone explaining the little nuances not easily put in an email.

Thank You

I have Dynon Skyviews and MGL V6 Radio and recently added a Garmin GTN650

I have seen MGL EFIS, GRT EFIS and Dynon all in RV panels. They all work.
If you have time make it to Sun N Fun in Lakeland and play with all the displays. There is not a better way to compare the units. You'll will like some features of this one and not that one. They all have unique features.

MGL has been quick... Like sending a new unit before I even took the one out of the panel to send to them. Matt has been great.

Like wise for Dynon, Mike has always bent over backwards on the installation before they had premade wiring harness and solving problems with the ADS-B install.

All the Vendors that are on this site.. are super... a lot of the decision is what you like and how you will use your plane.

Time to do your homework

Go to each of their websites and download both their installation and operations manuals. Go through those and they will tell you not only what functions are available but how they work.

While you are at it, download the Garman manual and maybe some others for comparison.

Spend some time with each manual and make sure you understand what they are telling you.

The truth is, they are all good units and will work fine. You might as well ask which brand of car is better as you will get the same types of answers.

Eli's pane

I have an RV7 with dual sky views, a d10a for backup and an SL30 for legal NavCom. The Skyview autopilot works great and will do ILS coupled approaches much better than I can. Quite often I set the altitude only and adjust course with either heading knob or manual with the stick. All very easy.
Now I use the Seattle Avionics and ADSB receiver for cross country trips. Way fun but am looking for legal GPS for 2020.

Yep, wait for the Dynon 2020 GPS and replace the one you currently have with e Siyview.

Back