What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When can a ELT be tested after installation.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Off hand does anyone know where I can find in the FAA rules on when I can test a ELT ( Emergency Locate transmitter ). Panel getting its final checks. Thanks

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Off hand does anyone know where I can find in the FAA rules on when I can test a ELT ( Emergency Locate transmitter ). Panel getting its final checks. Thanks

Ron in Oregon RV9A

I happen to be studying for my FAA written...

(a) Analog 121.5/243 MHz ELTs should only be tested during the first five minutes after any hour. If operational tests must be made outside of this period, they should be coordinated with the nearest FAA Control Tower or Flight Ser-vice Station. Tests should be no longer than three audible weeps. If the antenna is removable, a dummy load should be substituted during test procedures.

(b) (b) Digital 406 MHz ELTs should only be tested in accordance with the unit?s manufacturer?s instructions.

(c) (c) Airborne tests are not authorized.

I believe this to be accurate

Kent

For those Canadians reading this thread, the answer is simple. Testing may be done in the first 5 minutes of the UTC hour. This applies to both 121.5 and 406MHz units.

Note that most 406 units come with instructions that are very clear about not leaving the unit it test mode for an extended period. The way 406 signaling is designed, the ELT sends an 'invalid/test' signal if it broadcasts within the first 50 seconds following activation. After 50 seconds, you're broadcasting a valid distress signal that WILL cause the alarm bells to go off. Please be very careful about keeping 406 ELT tests short, in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.

Thank you KENT! Boy did I get lucky with your study work. I have been told tonite that (not sure of this info) that a re-register every two years with NOAA/FCC to verify owners address,,,,#2,,,,a test of the unit every 90 days,,,,,#3,, yearly inspection of all ELT cables,remote switch and unit. You should label unit when internal batteries are due to expire. I guess more home work! Kent was any of what I just posted show up in your study material?

Mark, mine is a ACK 121.5 / 406 ELT. Glad you brought that up also on the transmit on the 406 to the satellites. I have to check the company's website tomorrow. Thanks guys. This type material needs to be in a safe place, when I find it, ( course I should have left myself a note where it could be found ).

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Last edited:
For those Canadians reading this thread, the answer is simple. Testing may be done in the first 5 minutes of the UTC hour. This applies to both 121.5 and 406MHz units.

Note that most 406 units come with instructions that are very clear about not leaving the unit it test mode for an extended period. The way 406 signaling is designed, the ELT sends an 'invalid/test' signal if it broadcasts within the first 50 seconds following activation. After 50 seconds, you're broadcasting a valid distress signal that WILL cause the alarm bells to go off. Please be very careful about keeping 406 ELT tests short, in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.

Canada requires ELT "performance testing" annually which requires the ELT be active and transmitting for at least 3 minutes while monitoring input current draw, and transmit frequency strength and frequency. The on wing periodic checks do not require any special tooling or procedures, however the annual check should be performed by a shop that has the ELT manufacturer's Component Maintenance Manual and calibrated equipment that is required.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-a571sg-1897.htm

Thank you KENT! Boy did I get lucky with your study work. I have been told tonite that (not sure of this info) that a re-register every two years with NOAA/FCC to verify owners address,,,,#2,,,,a test of the unit every 90 days,,,,,#3,, yearly inspection of all ELT cables,remote switch and unit. You should label unit when internal batteries are due to expire. I guess more home work! Kent was any of what I just posted show up in your study material?

Mark, mine is a ECK 121.5 / 406 ELT. Glad you brought that up also on the transmit on the 406 to the satellites. I have to check the company's website tomorrow. Thanks guys. This type material needs to be in a safe place, when I find it, ( course I should have left myself a note where it could be found ).

Ron in Oregon RV9A

1. Yes, but it's pretty painless
2. Yes, IAW with the ACK manual (don't know how much regulatory weight is behind that requirement though).
3. Yes and the steps are outlined in the manual:
http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/E-04_REV_1.7_SINGLE_PAGE_REDUCED.pdf
Also the battery expiration date is etched into the battery's case.

Canada requires ELT "performance testing" annually which requires the ELT be active and transmitting for at least 3 minutes while monitoring input current draw, and transmit frequency strength and frequency. The on wing periodic checks do not require any special tooling or procedures, however the annual check should be performed by a shop that has the ELT manufacturer's Component Maintenance Manual and calibrated equipment that is required.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-a571sg-1897.htm

It's important to note the difference set out in Canadian regulations between "Operational Testing" and "Performance Testing".

Aircraft owners/operators/maintainers may do the "Operational Testing" (generally on-aircraft, accomplished through the control panel for the ELT). This testing, done on the aircraft, is what was referred to earlier in this thread as taking place in the first 5 minutes of the UTC hour.

"Performance Testing" is required to be carried out on an annual basis. This annual performance test is considered by Transport Canada to be specialized work, and therefore must be done by a Transport Canada Approved Maintenance Organization. This testing is done in a screen room or similar facility designed to eliminate test signals from being detected outside the test facility.

This is a major difference between US and Canadian rules. Many of us Canucks are trying to get the annual performance testing requirement changed to something more in line with the US requirement; removal of the ELT for an avionics shop check is both costly and an excellent example of an opportunity to eliminate the Waddington Effect.

I agree that the performance testing should be eliminated. It appears that it is a left over requirement from the 121.5 Mhz TSO C91, C91a days. The TSO C126 ELTs have built in test equipment such as frequency counters, watt meters, volt meters and timers, that will flash an error code if the ELT is not functioning correctly.

Mark, mine is a ACK 121.5 / 406 ELT. Glad you brought that up also on the transmit on the 406 to the satellites. I have to check the company's website tomorrow. Thanks guys. This type material needs to be in a safe place, when I find it, ( course I should have left myself a note where it could be found ).

Ron in Oregon RV9A

You bet Ron! Nice to see an Oregon RV almost done!

agreed!

I agree that the performance testing should be eliminated. It appears that it is a left over requirement from the 121.5 Mhz TSO C91, C91a days. The TSO C126 ELTs have built in test equipment such as frequency counters, watt meters, volt meters and timers, that will flash an error code if the ELT is not functioning correctly.

As you say Mike, unplugging a good ELT from 2 or more major sources of failure ( remote switch, mounting bracket, antennae) and then testing it on a bench/test cell proved almost nothing.
Then Mr. Doofus ( me) tries to wrangle it back into place and reconnect everything, with no assurance that it's been done correctly. (Waddington wins, again!)
...and don't' get me started on the self-test procedures.....try to watch the dash indicator for 3 red flashes, while watching the ELT in the tail for 3 green flashes, while listening for 3 beeps, at 5 min after the hour, while a jet is taxiing past, but not for more than 30 seconds.....geez! 100% doomed to fail!

As you say Mike, unplugging a good ELT from 2 or more major sources of failure ( remote switch, mounting bracket, antennae) and then testing it on a bench/test cell proved almost nothing.
Then Mr. Doofus ( me) tries to wrangle it back into place and reconnect everything, with no assurance that it's been done correctly. (Waddington wins, again!)
...and don't' get me started on the self-test procedures.....try to watch the dash indicator for 3 red flashes, while watching the ELT in the tail for 3 green flashes, while listening for 3 beeps, at 5 min after the hour, while a jet is taxiing past, but not for more than 30 seconds.....geez! 100% doomed to fail!

Aww come on, Perry - it's not that bad with some ELT's! With the 406 ELT's I've been installing it's as simple as:
- tune aircraft radio to 121.5, break squelch and ensure you can hear the hiss
- as the clock strikes the top of the hour, push the on/off/test/reset switch to the TEST position
- listen for 2 audio sweeps on 121.5
- listen for one long chime on the buzzer and one long flash on the remote control panel LED
- retune aircraft radio to local frequency, turn off the aircraft master, congratulate yourself on a job well done

It really is that simple! :)

Would I hear anything from a 406 ELT test on a hand held receiver that can be tuned to 406 Mhz?

Would it also make sense to conduct the test in a closed hangar?

Back